Re: [SCA_BARDS] FILKS

  • Greg Lindahl
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 6, 2001
      On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 10:16:19PM -0600, Jessica Holder (Lady Christine the good) wrote:

      > Think abou it. King Henry (?) just wrote Greensleeves and
      > everyone and their dog is performing it. Then someone you
      > know writes a filk to the song.

      Actually, Henry VIII didn't write Greensleeves -- it first appears in
      a ballad as "a new tune" in 1580, long after he was dead. But
      Greensleeves, and many other tunes, had many different sets of words
      written to them over many years.

      One interesting project going on right now is a transcription of the
      melodies of the tunes in Thomas Ravenscroft's 1614 psalter, which is a
      collection of the Psalms put to music. The tunes used are popular
      tunes collected all over England... hence, an ideal set of music to
      write ballads to. There's an earlier psalter in the same series that
      we're going to do next. If you'd like to look at some existing resources,
      I'd suggest:

      http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/ballads/music.html (Tunes of broadside ballads)

      and

      http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/vladislav/filk/ (Medieval melodies for filking)

      Gregory Blount,
      intolerant supplier of tunes for filking since AS XXX
    • sunshinegirl
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 6, 2001
        From: "Greg Lindahl" <lindahl@...>

        > Actually, Henry VIII didn't write Greensleeves -- it first appears in
        > a ballad as "a new tune" in 1580, long after he was dead. But
        > Greensleeves, and many other tunes, had many different sets of words
        > written to them over many years.

        Baron Talanque used to work in a Music department, and he once told me, many
        long years ago, that some music historians think the tune to Greensleeves
        might actually belong to Biblical times, and is possibly a Psalm tune....

        If anyone has any other info on this idea, I'd love to know about it....

        Melandra