Re: [SCA_BARDS] M B Greenstein

  • sunshinegirl
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2001
      From: "Sigmund Hewett" <siggy@...>

      Snip lots of good stuff

      > To every wavering voiced book bard that stands for the first time at the
      > circle, I salute you. You have my adulation.
      >
      > In service,
      > Sigmund Malovich.

      Thank you

      Melandra
    • wodeford@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2001
        --- In SCA_BARDS@y..., Sigmund Hewett <siggy@M...> wrote:
        > Think back to the first time any of you performed, spoke
        > publically, whatever. Was it a harrowing experience? And were your
        > friends and peers supportive? If they yelled 'YOU SUCK!' maybe you
        > would never have continued.

        Been there, done that, SO spectacularly that friends and total
        strangers alike came up to me for the rest of the event to ask if I
        was all right.

        > I've been blessed to have people close to both me support and
        > criticize my work a number of times. They've been helpful,
        > informative, and keep my feet planted firmly on the ground.
        > I think I've improved greatly because of it. There will always be
        > someone worse than you out there, just as there will always be
        > someone better. Give help and support to those below you, and
        > those above you will do the same for you.

        Well put, Sigmund. I credit several very talented musicians in my
        kingdom for telling me repeatedly, "you can do this" and daring me to
        raise the bar.

        Jehanne de Wodeford, Rusted Woodlands (EAST)
      • C&HWood
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2001
          Greetings from Linette!

          I agree with other posters that M.B. Greenstein's critique was thoughtful
          and fairly gentle.

          However, it's not clear whether Alwyn wanted any critique, and so now I'm
          asking: Alwyn, what is your purpose in posting your pieces? I've checked
          the archive, and all of your posts have been posting your original
          poetry. Are you requesting critiques, or just posting to share? Most of
          your pieces are not especially medieval or Renaissance in style - are you
          striving to create works that will work for the SCA? I see on your website
          that you're part of a circle of pagan poets, and that seems to be a focus
          of your poetry. Have you any comments that would help clear up your
          desires regarding your posts, so the list can better help you one way or
          another?

          I applaud everyone who is brave enough to share their original work - I
          know how intimidating that can be, from personal experience! Please,
          folks, let's keep an encouraging atmosphere here on the list - disparaging
          remarks of the sort I've seen from other posters are really not appropriate
          for the stated goals of the list.

          Linette