Re: Pennsic

  • Fayme Harper
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 31, 2000
      ::Hands Siggy the super glue to solve that little dropping problem.::

      --- In SCA_BARDS@egroups.com, Sigmund Hewett <siggy@M...> wrote:
      > On Sun, 30 Jul 2000, Ivory quipped:
      > > I'm sorry to hear you won't be at Pennsic Sigmund. The bardics
      will
      > > be a little less joyful without you. I look forward to meeting
      you
      > > at
      > > the next Estrella War! Have a wonderful time at Great Western.
      > >
      > > Lady Ivory
      > >

      > Currently with my work schedule I would be more than happy to
      settle for just
      > 'a time'. Estrella is a war I will be looking forward to though,
      it's a hard one
      > to get time off for in the T.V industry as it falls within the
      ratings book..
      > But I've found if you do enough 'favours' during the year they tend
      to turn a
      > blind eye.
      > I'm working on a few filks and such, but still practicing my
      contact juggling
      > is number one on the list..You'd be surprised how quickly you can
      lose your
      > hand if you don't stay at it constantly... and its a form of
      juggling where a
      > single drop will totally shatter the illusion you're trying to put
      forward..
      > I'm my own worse critic though, and am never satisfied with the
      level I'm at...
      > I like to constantly push a little.
      >

      > Sigmund Malovich.
      >
      > --
      > -----------------------------------
      > If all the world is a stage,
      > Where does the audience sit?
      > -----------------------------------
      > siggy@M...
      > siggy@c...
      > -----------------------------------
    • Sigmund Hewett
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 2, 2000
        On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, Fayme Harper quipped:
        > ::Hands Siggy the super glue to solve that little dropping problem.::

        (chuckle) that would solve the drop, but I could do precious little with it
        then. Stand there and shake my hand about perhaps :)

        Actually after joining a discussion group on Contact Juggling and seeing some
        snippets of various performances I am becoming more comfortable with
        performing. I came to the conclusion that I'm spending more time on style and
        fluidity than some, and that I've branched away from most of the people I speak
        with in presentation somewhat...
        A *good thing* as what the world needs is not 'another juggler' which is my
        biggest fear, to become a poor photocopy of another performer. I'd rather be
        known as 'Sigmund the wannabe' than 'Sigmund, poor mans (insert name)'

        Things are coming along nicely, although I think my legs are too stationary..
        I'm thinking of sitting in on some dance classes to remedy this.
        I think doing a dance with the ball would be an interesting concept, I would
        like to do incorporate more imagry with my juggling;
        i.e. the ball is my partner, a bubble, a pet mouse......
        Or as in Balth's and my fledgling act of Faust, your immortal soul....

        I think my practice is finally getting away from the 'mechanics' and more into
        concepts for presentation..

        Sigmund Malovich
        Wandering juggler of Caid.

        --
        -----------------------------------
        If all the world is a stage,
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 28, 2000
          When I read your post it reminded me of a juggling/dance group called
          Air Jazz. There is a lady named Mary in the Riverside area that
          rents out juggling videos of all types. She probably has one of Air
          Jazz. She's some sort of archivist for the International Juggler's
          Assoc. If you are interested, I can find out the details and post
          them here. She has tapes of every IJA competition for years and
          years. Yours, Sapphira of Alexandria

        • Sigmund Hewett
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 29, 2000
            On Mon, 28 Aug 2000, Fayme Harper quipped:
            > When I read your post it reminded me of a juggling/dance group called
            > Air Jazz. There is a lady named Mary in the Riverside area that
            > rents out juggling videos of all types. She probably has one of Air
            > Jazz. She's some sort of archivist for the International Juggler's
            > Assoc. If you are interested, I can find out the details and post
            > them here. She has tapes of every IJA competition for years and
            > years. Yours, Sapphira of Alexandria

            That would be really great! Work has a stranglehold on me at the moment, with
            in excess of 30-40 hours of OT every two week pay period .. The money's good,
            but the lack of rest is driving me batty.. To sit down and watch something
            creative would be great, I still have time to think, even if I don't so much
            have time to practice at the moment.

            Mind you, I managed to re-write the story of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark to the
            tune of the Police song 'Every little thing she does is magic' :P

            Sigmund Malovich

            If all the world is a stage? where does the audience sit?
            siggy@...

            GOT BOOKS? WE HAVE! visit http:www.tenpennybooks.com
            - your onestop online book exchange
          • OCeallachain@juno.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 29, 2000
              > Mind you, I managed to re-write the story of Hamlet, Prince of
              > Denmark to the
              > tune of the Police song 'Every little thing she does is magic' :P
              >
              > Sigmund Malovich

              Cool. I've been working on doing Othello to "Brennan on the Moor."
              ('Tis of a tragin African, a story I would tell...
              His name it is Othello, and in Cyprus he did dwell...)

              Shade and sweet water,
              Daithi O Ce�llacha�n

              > If all the world is a stage? where does the audience sit?

              On its collective butt, I would imagine...
              Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
              http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
            • Bard2017@aol.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 30, 2000
                In a message dated 8/30/2000 12:25:54 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
                OCeallachain@... writes:

                > Cool. I've been working on doing Othello to "Brennan on the Moor."
                > ('Tis of a tragin African, a story I would tell...
                > His name it is Othello, and in Cyprus he did dwell...)
                >
                > Shade and sweet water,
                > Daithi O Ceállachaín

                Yer a scary man, Davy. Or should I call you Daffyd? Or do I have the wrong
                man entirely?
                And was that to be sung, or rapped?

                -Connor
              • Kate
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 16, 2001
                  I just wanted to add to this whole "cost of Pennsic"
                  topic.... It is very easy to spend $290 dollars at
                  Pennsic. In fact, I don't think I've ever spentless
                  than $300. I'm not sure what your local events are
                  like, but in my area, the cost to get into the event
                  usually includes some type of food, either feast or
                  dayboard. FOOD IS NOT INCLUDED IN THE SITE FEE AT
                  PENNSIC. They do not feed you there. I wasn't sure
                  if you were aware of this, but I hadn't seen it
                  mentioned in the responses. It would be very easy to
                  spend an additional $190 at the food court at Pennsic.
                  Then there's ice and water and/or gatorade... it adds
                  up. If this is your first Pennsic, you need to think
                  about how you are going to feed yourself and keep
                  yourself hydrated. Budget it in.

                  On the musical side, I think bringing instruments to
                  Pennsic is either a great thing to do for War or the
                  stupidest thing to do for War, and sometimes it's
                  both. The weather at Pennsic can play havoc with
                  string and reed instruments, even drums can have
                  problems. The temperatures during the day can reach
                  100 degrees Fahrenheit (not sure really what that is
                  in Celsius), and at night plunge down to around 40
                  degrees. Just something to be aware of. And we
                  haven't even gotten into what Pennsic rain can do.

                  I'm not trying to discourage you from bringing
                  instruments to war, but you should know what to expect
                  and take steps to protect them from the unfriendly
                  weather.

                  http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                • Trey Capnerhurst
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 16, 2001
                    Pennsic IS a camping event, isn't it? I have never been to a camping event
                    where they feed you. Like camping, we take our own food and the means to
                    prepare it. Though there is usually water provided on site (for cooking and
                    hydration) or the site info will tell you that there is no fresh water on
                    site, so that you can bring your own. I have never been to a camping event
                    where they feed you, though I expect it in a day event.

                    Being outdoors for days, we have also therefore always taken in account the
                    effect it will have on our instraments, and judge accordingly whether to
                    take them or not, and how to protect them. Just like we'd take blankets for
                    our own comfort.

                    I'm just not used to paying such a high site fee for a camping event just to
                    get in. Most of ours up here are on private land, and the only fee is for
                    admin, so it's comparitivly rather low.

                    Does anybody know how kids are included in the price? Or is it on the
                    website and I can do my own research? Since we won't be able to go for a
                    few years. We'd have to make a pilgramage of it. It's 3 days drive one way
                    at least. Now THAT adds to the price. (Specially with your American
                    gas...heh heh)

                    I know of only one or two ppl up here who have EVER pilgramaged to Pennsic.

                    Traesach

                    On Mon, 16 Jul 2001 06:20:53 -0700 (PDT), SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                    > I just wanted to add to this whole "cost of Pennsic"
                    > topic.... It is very easy to spend $290 dollars at
                    > Pennsic. In fact, I don't think I've ever spentless
                    > than $300. I'm not sure what your local events are
                    > like, but in my area, the cost to get into the event
                    > usually includes some type of food, either feast or
                    > dayboard. FOOD IS NOT INCLUDED IN THE SITE FEE AT
                    > PENNSIC. They do not feed you there. I wasn't sure
                    > if you were aware of this, but I hadn't seen it
                    > mentioned in the responses. It would be very easy to
                    > spend an additional $190 at the food court at Pennsic.
                    > Then there's ice and water and/or gatorade... it adds
                    > up. If this is your first Pennsic, you need to think
                    > about how you are going to feed yourself and keep
                    > yourself hydrated. Budget it in.
                    >
                    > On the musical side, I think bringing instruments to
                    > Pennsic is either a great thing to do for War or the
                    > stupidest thing to do for War, and sometimes it's
                    > both. The weather at Pennsic can play havoc with
                    > string and reed instruments, even drums can have
                    > problems. The temperatures during the day can reach
                    > 100 degrees Fahrenheit (not sure really what that is
                    > in Celsius), and at night plunge down to around 40
                    > degrees. Just something to be aware of. And we
                    > haven't even gotten into what Pennsic rain can do.
                    >
                    > I'm not trying to discourage you from bringing
                    > instruments to war, but you should know what to expect
                    > and take steps to protect them from the unfriendly
                    > weather.

                    > http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

                    "A wise woman is never insulted. The truth can never be insulting, and
                    untruths are not worth crediting."

                    Send a cool gift with your E-Card
                    http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/
                  • C&HWood
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 17, 2001
                      At 07:10 AM 7/13/01 +0000, Trey wrote:
                      >It's not really 100 bucks just to get into Pennsic, is it? We're used to 5
                      >buck site fees up here. And is that per household? And American, no less?
                      >I was always looking forward to Pennsic. Maybe that's not where I should
                      >save my money for. Lessee, 100 American, plus getting there....
                      You've been getting a lot of responses from people on Pennsic, but I felt
                      like adding my two cents....

                      Site fees in the East Kingdom are also usually between $5-10 for a regular
                      event. Pennsic's fee is definitely much larger. Pennsic is not just a
                      regular event, and most people attend it for much more than a long
                      weekend. I can't imagine anyone from more than 1 day's drive away
                      attending it for less than three full days.

                      Pennsic is magnitudes larger than most events you're likely to ever have
                      attended. This year there are currently over one thousand classes planned,
                      including a fair number on bardic and music topics. There are something
                      like 400 merchant businesses selling at Pennsic. There are at least 6 food
                      merchants. Besides the War Battles with more than a thousand fighters,
                      there are numerous privately-sponsored tourneys and battles. Rapier
                      fighting, archery, and other marshal activities also are planned on an
                      almost continual basis all War Week. Dance classes in the Barn daily;
                      dancing with live music nightly. Competitions, and exhibitions on various
                      arts (including performing arts) are a daily occurrence. The Pennsic
                      Performing Arts Theater has exhibitions on a different performing art every
                      day, and plays and major concerts every night. Random parties, bardic
                      circles and competitions, belly-dancing circles, and so forth, occur in
                      dozens of camps each night. I could go on and on but all of these events
                      are listed at the Pennsic website and you can find more info there.

                      In short, Pennsic is far and away the largest, most action-filled event you
                      can attend in the Knowne World. Other Wars such as Estrella and Gulf are
                      still fairly small in comparison. I cannot comment on Lilies personally
                      since I have not attended it, though I have heard it is wonderful;
                      nevertheless the numbers of attendees, classes, and merchants are still
                      significantly smaller than Pennsic (which may well be an advantage in some
                      people's eyes!).

                      Pennsic in my opinion is well worth the money. If you arrive on the 10th
                      or later, the fee for a SCA member who is not pre-registered is $80. That
                      includes up to nine days of camping & using the showers, toilets, and other
                      facilities, and would be considered a major bargain in the mundane world.

                      While it's true you can easily spend much more money on top of your gate
                      fee, it's also possible to economize significantly. The food merchants
                      will cost you at least $5 per meal; making your own food in camp will be
                      significantly cheaper. If you cannot bring cooking equipment, see if you
                      can link with a group that has a meal plan, or try performing for your
                      supper. I know bards who have gone to the War with a bowl and a cup, and
                      kept them full by going from camp to camp, or even by creating an
                      arrangement with one camp, trading entertainment for food. Washing dishes
                      for food also works in many places.

                      Your greatest difficulty in saving money will be resisting the incredible
                      array of goods available to buy. My particular problem is books, but
                      music, trim, and craft supplies run close behind. Definitely bring some
                      money to spend on your particular hobbies, or you may feel terribly
                      deprived by the end of the War.

                      I certainly understand that many people cannot spare the time or money to
                      attend Pennsic, and the greater the distance, the harder it is to do
                      so. Everyone has to make reasonable choices about their budget, and
                      Pennsic is not nearly as important as taking care of your mundane life. I
                      do encourage anyone who can afford the time and money to consider it, and
                      to believe that the fee, though it seems high, is in proportion with the
                      incredible array of opportunities that Pennsic currently affords.

                      Linette de Gallardon
                    • Brad Boda d'Aylward
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 17, 2001
                        Subject: [SCA_BARDS] Re: Pennsic

                        >At 07:10 AM 7/13/01 +0000, Trey wrote:
                        >>It's not really 100 bucks just to get into Pennsic, is it? We're used to
                        5
                        >>buck site fees up here. And is that per household? And American, no
                        less?
                        >>I was always looking forward to Pennsic. Maybe that's not where I should
                        >>save my money for. Lessee, 100 American, plus getting there....
                        >You've been getting a lot of responses from people on Pennsic, but I felt
                        >like adding my two cents....

                        Think of it like this, Pennsic is like eight or nine (depending on when you
                        arrive) events....one after another. I mention this to Pennsic first timmers
                        to alleviate the 'overload' factor. Can you describe 'culture shock'? You go
                        to one event (all day) go to sleep and wake up the next day at another
                        event.

                        Brad
                      • Trey Capnerhurst
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 18, 2001
                          Now, see, THAT'S what I needed to hear. Someone who's been there and can
                          heartily endorse it. Due to the difficulties, it's more like a Grail quest
                          up here and there is almost no one I've ever met whose been there and can
                          give a valid endorsement and personal desciption. Esp. when you have to
                          choak on the fact that the fees, including travel, are in American dollars.

                          Normally our poshest public campsites, with facilities, are about 5 bucks a
                          head per site use, not per head. You can stuff as many ppl in the camper as
                          you like. 'Course, at events, even on private land, it's per head, too, but
                          still...It's hard to wrap the brain around it unless it seems worth it. And
                          your description certainly makes it seem that.

                          Hmm...maybe our household will merchant some year...

                          Traesach

                        • tsivia@uottawa.ca
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 5 11:12 AM
                            Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

                            I just got an email "unofficially" warning us that the world-conference I
                            was SUPPOSEd to be attending in China may well be cancelled due to
                            "financial issues" (Read, we're about 200 km from Tibet's border!). If
                            that's the case it looks as if I'll be at Pennsic for a week...

                            Not quite the same level of "Can't wait" but nonetheless....

                            <Grin>
                            More updates here asap.
                            TSivia