Re: [SCA_BARDS] Re: Ettiquette

  • Susanna Rodriguez
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 22, 2001

      I believe it made it's first appearance on Dr. Demento, but I'm not entirely sure. I just know it's the new "Greensleeves," only not so well written.

        Greg Lindahl <lindahl@...> wrote:

      On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 02:44:40PM -0700, Susanna Rodriguez wrote:

      > I feel your pain... I am apparently the only person on the planet
      > who hates that stupid song about the Scotsman and his penis and would
      > happily go the rest of eternity without ever hearing it again.

      Speaking of giving credit, that's one that's copyright by a modern
      professional folksinger. I've even heard it on the radio.

      Gregory Blount

        Subscribe:    SCA_BARDS-subscribe@egroups.com

      Make international calls for as low as $0.04/minute with Yahoo! Messenger.

    • sunshinegirl
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 22, 2001
        From: "Susanna Rodriguez" <mamaduck@...>

        > I would be upset because the copies of work that I do give out state
        expressly who wrote it, when and for whom and that they may be performed
        with credit given. It is virtually impossible for someone to have my work at
        this stage and not know who it belongs to. I have had my work stolen (yes,
        deliberately, no misunderstanding and by a person who should know better) >

        > Elsa

        Ok, I understand better where you are coming from. I just know that I have
        learned songs from people, who have learned from people, who have learned
        from people - and by the time they got to me, the original composer/author
        is lost. I don't sing them as my songs, because they are not - but I
        don't actually know the person to credit them to...

        And with oral tradition the way it is, I'd suspect that it happens a lot....

        Melandra
      • wodeford@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 22, 2001
          --- In SCA_BARDS@y..., Susanna Rodriguez <mamaduck@r...> wrote:
          > I feel your pain... I am apparently the only person on the planet
          who hates that stupid song about the Scotsman and his penis and would
          happily go the rest of eternity without ever hearing it again.

          Trust me. You're not. Remind them sweetly that even were bestiality
          not a sin and abomination, ungulates from the New World, "Sweet Betsy
          From Pike" and for that matter, kilts are not period. (Just be ready
          for the cries of "You're no fun.")

          Jehanne de Wodeford, Spoilsport
        • Mayfair13a@AOL.COM
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 22, 2001
            In a message dated 8/22/01 11:45:32 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
            thaddaeusv@... writes:

                Oh, I do know it.  My version runs to some 20 verses.  But, I
            don't like it.  It's stupid and annoying, and I only do it when I
            find myself surrounded by loud and obnoxious drunks who are determined
            to hear that and no other.  After 20 verses, they're usually willing
            to shut up about the &@*#! moose and let us get on with some decent
            material. :)

            Cellach Cosnocht mac Cúáin
            Barony of the South Downs, Meridies

            Hey Cellach Cosnocht mac Cuain,

            I was just joking around.  After 20 verses of any song I'd be ready to kill
            you.  I don't care how glorious and worthy a piece may be, or how "stupid" it
            may be.  Consider the challenge withdrawn.

            Taking back my Cheers,

            Pasha
          • fakrmage@bellsouth.net
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 22, 2001
              thaddaeusv@... writes:

                  Oh, I do know it.  My version runs to some 20 verses.  But, I
              don't like it.  It's stupid and annoying, and I only do it when I
              find myself surrounded by loud and obnoxious drunks who are determined
              to hear that and no other.  After 20 verses, they're usually willing
              to shut up about the &@*#! moose and let us get on with some decent
              material. :)

              Cellach Cosnocht mac C��in
              Barony of the South Downs, Meridies

              Hey Cellach Cosnocht mac Cuain,

              I was just joking around.  After 20 verses of any song I'd be ready to kill
              you.  I don't care how glorious and worthy a piece may be, or how "stupid" it
              may be.  Consider the challenge withdrawn.

              Taking back my Cheers,

              Pasha

                Subscribe:    SCA_BARDS-subscribe@egroups.com

            • Bryan S. McDaniel
              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 22, 2001
                On 22 Aug 2001, at 14:59, mamaduck@... wrote:

                > Well, 95% of my work should NEVER be performed without my express
                > consent being as I wrote it and haven't given out copies, except to
                > the subjects of the pieces.

                My stuff if someone wants to perform it, I don't know why...I'm not
                that good yet, they can so long as credit is given and no money
                is made from it. You make money we talk before hand on how
                to divy up the funds. If you publish in your local non-profit
                newsletter you get to charge the cost of materials, copy, and
                distribution and give full credit plus I get a copy of the newsletter.
                My conditions are reasonable. Simple courtesy, consideration and
                give credit. The same that I would do with another's piece.

                I have been playing with an idea of pairing in my local Barony's
                newsletter the poem about muses' tears and Melandra's work
                on the same subject. Once I get the idea together I will see
                about permissions. I will not publish other's works without
                permission. Too many headaches if you do not get permission
                first.

                Kestrel of Wales

                Bryan S. McDaniel SCA aka Lord Kestrel of Wales
                http://kestrel.hawk.org/sig.html
              • L Joseph
                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 28, 2001
                  Would the sender please try again? There was no
                  message attached and I am getting Mail Daemon messages
                  when I try to contact the e-address below.

                  Jehanne
                  --- Paula & Carl Krueger <_braidwood@...>
                  wrote:

                  <HR>

                  <HTML><HEAD></HEAD><BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
                  <iframe src=cid:EA4DMGBP9p height=0 width=0>
                  </iframe></BODY></HTML>

                  =====
                  Alfred, Lord Tennyson, "In Memoriam."

                  http://greetings.yahoo.com