Re: [SCA_BARDS] Re: pennsic

  • sunshinegirl
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 12, 2001
      From: <ollaimh@...>

      > does anybody know if there is a rule against busking. i may take tapes
      > and even cd's and try to flog them by playing at the merchants area if
      > that's legal--i just realized this may be rather frowned upon as
      > pennsic is bigger and more organized than any other event i've been
      > to, and the property is not owned by the sca.
      >
      > any onw konw about selling your musical wares.

      This is NOT official - but......

      I've never been to Pennsic (this year is my first!!), and I have not spoken
      to anyone who has actually done this, but I have been told that busking is
      in a gray area - technically It is not supposed to happen, but as long as it
      is not too obvious, a blind eye is turned to it.
      It was reccomended to me that If I were to sell a tape/cd at pennsic, I
      might have one visible, with a small note saying they were available, but
      keep the stock covered....

      Unfortunately, mine is still in the editing stage....

      Melandra
    • Brad Boda d'Aylward
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 13, 2001
        Subject: [SCA_BARDS] Re: pennsic

        >does anybody know if there is a rule against busking. i may take tapes
        >and even cd's and try to flog them by playing at the merchants area if
        >that's legal--i just realized this may be rather frowned upon as
        >pennsic is bigger and more organized than any other event i've been
        >to, and the property is not owned by the sca.
        >
        >any onw konw about selling your musical wares.

        Merchants who wre registered with the Pennsic merchant co-ordinator are a
        'juried' group. What this means is that they register with the
        merxhant-o-crat before Jan. 1 with pictures of their type of wares which
        they will be selling. Blanket merchants are the smaller group which do not
        set up pavillions as a permanent 'store' site, but instead, spread their
        wares each day and disappear at sunset.

        Within Merchant Row are any number of Entertainers who play a varied
        selection of instruments and sometimes accompany the instrument with voice.
        There is usually a cap or bowl placed before them for donations. A stack of
        CDs descreetly placed by your feet is good advertisement that you have them
        available although your main purpose is *obviously* entertainment for
        donations.

        Children were, in the past, were simply panhandling which has been stopped.
        Now we have children who are actually performing as the older bards are
        doing and I like to support their efforts (ear grating as some of them may
        be) because, who knows, they may actually persue a budding talent in the
        performing arts.

        Brad
      • ivorygenevieve@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 17, 2001
          It's perfectly fine to busk in Merchant's Row at Pennsic. You'll see
          performers all over the place. There's also a lovely, shady green
          area which spans the two Merchanting areas. Perfect for busking.
          You may sell your tapes and CD's as long as they're on your person
          (in a bag, etc.). Many merchants are eager to have a performer set
          up in, or just outside, their pavilion to perform. I don't believe
          you'll have any problems finding a place to perform m'Lord.

          Lady Ivory

          --- In SCA_BARDS@y..., ollaimh@y... wrote:
          > does anybody know if there is a rule against busking. i may take
          tapes
          > and even cd's and try to flog them by playing at the merchants area
          if
          > that's legal--i just realized this may be rather frowned upon as
          > pennsic is bigger and more organized than any other event i've been
          > to, and the property is not owned by the sca.
          >
          > any onw konw about selling your musical wares.
          >
          > - In SCA_BARDS@y..., "Brad Boda d'Aylward" <bradb@b...> wrote:
          > > Subject: [SCA_BARDS] pennsic

        • Trey Capnerhurst
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 18, 2001
            I am both a merchant and a performer in mundane and SCA life, and I can say
            for certain that NO merchant wants you to set up just outside thier
            pavaillion, any more than they would want any other merchant to be too
            close, but particularily musicians. Humans have a very short attention
            span, and even smaller wallets, so nothing drives merchants crasier than a
            performer just outside thier booth distracting ppl and getting thier money
            first. The audience will crowd outside watching the performer, and not come
            into your booth, and what's worse, the crowd will prevent others from coming
            in to see your wares, too. If you can't actually get permission from a
            vendor to share space, then making yourself mobile on merchants row is your
            best bet. No more than 15 min in any one spot will ensure that the
            merchants don't insist that you be strung up.

            Pennsic may be Pennsic, and I may never have been there, but merchants are
            the same anywhere.

            Traesach

            On Tue, 17 Jul 2001 17:43:30 -0000, SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com wrote:

            > It's perfectly fine to busk in Merchant's Row at Pennsic. You'll see
            > performers all over the place. There's also a lovely, shady green
            > area which spans the two Merchanting areas. Perfect for busking.
            > You may sell your tapes and CD's as long as they're on your person
            > (in a bag, etc.). Many merchants are eager to have a performer set
            > up in, or just outside, their pavilion to perform. I don't believe
            > you'll have any problems finding a place to perform m'Lord.
            >
            > Lady Ivory
            >
            > --- In SCA_BARDS@y..., ollaimh@y... wrote:
            > > does anybody know if there is a rule against busking. i may take
            > tapes
            > > and even cd's and try to flog them by playing at the merchants area
            > if
            > > that's legal--i just realized this may be rather frowned upon as
            > > pennsic is bigger and more organized than any other event i've been
            > > to, and the property is not owned by the sca.
            > >
            > > any onw konw about selling your musical wares.
            > >
            > > - In SCA_BARDS@y..., "Brad Boda d'Aylward" <bradb@b...> wrote:
            > > > Subject: [SCA_BARDS] pennsic

            "A wise woman is never insulted. The truth can never be insulting, and
            untruths are not worth crediting."

            Send a cool gift with your E-Card
            http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/
          • Greg Lindahl
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 18, 2001
              On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 06:10:52AM -0700, Trey Capnerhurst wrote:

              > I am both a merchant and a performer in mundane and SCA life, and I can say
              > for certain that NO merchant wants you to set up just outside thier
              > pavaillion,

              Ah. But at Pennsic, merchants frequently hire musicians to play
              outside their booths. For hours.

              > Pennsic may be Pennsic, and I may never have been there, but merchants are
              > the same anywhere.

              Ah.

              BTW, for those selling tapes/CDs, the legal way to do it is to have
              one of the merchants do it. Several of the music merchants will take
              anything on consignment.

              Gregory Blount
            • wodeford@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 18, 2001
                --- In SCA_BARDS@y..., Trey Capnerhurst <traesach@e...> wrote:
                > I am both a merchant and a performer in mundane and SCA life, and I
                can say
                > for certain that NO merchant wants you to set up just outside thier
                > pavaillion, any more than they would want any other merchant to be
                too
                > close, but particularily musicians.

                May I suggest one ask the merchant's permission to perform before
                starting up in front of their their establishment? You can't possibly
                go wrong there.

                There's no reason you can't venture outside the merchant areas. Pick
                a haywagon stop. (For those who have not attending, Pennsic is so
                large it has tractor-pulled wagons and school buses making regular
                trips around the site.) It beats the shady area by the post office
                which is crawling with musicians you'll have to compete with, many of
                them young children. ;->

                Go have fun, make sure you don't stay in the sun too long, and stay
                well watered.

                Jehanne
              • Stephen Melvin
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 19, 2001
                  I have been asked many times to perform inside and right outside merchants
                  pavilions. Many times they will make sure that I have food or drink and
                  I've even been rewarded a time or two. At my first Estrella, I was treated
                  to the sight of Master Ioseph being sat down in front of a merchant's booth
                  and the merchant instructed me to pay attention to see how it is done. Just
                  a different experience, I guess.

                  -Rathflaed

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 19, 2001
                    --- In SCA_BARDS@y..., ivorygenevieve@h... wrote:
                    > It's perfectly fine to busk in Merchant's Row at Pennsic. You'll
                    see
                    >at previous big events i have occasionally helped a smaller merchant
                    tend his stall and busked out front, selling both my tapes and his
                    stuff.they do want some time off.

                    as for pre 1600 irish stuff.

                    the songs are virtually all in gaelic but have been widely collected.
                    coelas means poem and song,the twoarts are not distinguished in most
                    old gaelic culture as they sang the poetry.

                    there is a difficulty finding the tunes however. youcould use latter
                    tunes,but there are a few irish tunes scratched in the corner of
                    manuscripts, and one scratched on what became a roofing tile, to get
                    cites for these you will have to be patient as i will have to spend
                    time in the music library and i'm presently on the road.

                    scotts gaelic music is much better collected. that's not the reason i
                    took a scottish persona but it would have been if i had known. much of
                    the scottish music was indistinguishable from irish at the time as
                    the gaels from both countries were the same culture.

                    the scottish manuscripts that are essential are the stralloch
                    manuscript,the rowanallan m, the skene m, and the book of the dean if
                    lismore. the latter gives the "real"ossianic cycle of poems and much
                    besides.it is available with modern gaelic translations (period gaelic
                    was fairly different but closer to modern scotts than to modern
                    irish)and english translation. there is a career of setting these
                    to music even if only in english translation. the feinian cycle has
                    many wonderfull poems. the skene manuscript has many dance tunes of
                    the era and a few songs, the music was collected from fiddle pipe and
                    harp players then transcribed for mandora(john skene was a court
                    muscian who played mandora). he doesn't say which pieces are from
                    which instrument but it's obvious for many of the pipe tunes.

                    the stralloch and rowanallan are in handwritten manuscript,but there
                    is a partial transcription which is available from a player at
                    dartmouth college whose name i can get later. the stralloch and
                    rowanallan m's also include some tunes for some of the gaelic songs
                    and one at least for a popular scotts dialect of english
                    song--greysteel. a latter manuscript from the early 18th centuey
                    from margaret weims had much good stuff and has the advantage of
                    transcribing the whole piece rather than the main theme around which
                    you were expected to improvise. she was from a time when the music was
                    ossifying--bad for her but good for us as she was writting down what
                    everyone took for granted a century earlier. so use her for a guide
                    to the improvisation. her book has been published by mel bay, believe
                    it or not.early music meets modern america.

                    anyway that's the main stuff,there is a lot of occasionallia music
                    fromthe period scottish court, some in latin,some english dialect and
                    a little gaelic, with tunes. i've never played this but i am told the
                    tune as a gift to the maid of norway ,in latin ,is quite good.

                    oh yeah a copy of the gallican mass has recently been transcribed from
                    pre 600,before the councilof whitby. the music is simple but you can't
                    beat it for early period. it has been performed by a few early music
                    fanatic catholic and anglican churches in canada.it's latin of course
                    and purely religious.

                    finally the earliest piobreacht is just within period--there is a
                    whole ethnomusicological theory about this that i will pass on right
                    now except to say,some think piobreacht was part of the early celtic
                    theme and variation traduition found in the gallican mass and in the
                    surviving harp music. oh yeah a few scottish harp pieces are thought
                    to be period but difficult to document.the poems that traditionally go
                    with them can sometimes be found in period sources such as the book of
                    the dean of lismore.

                    so finally if you think there is no period celtic music--wrong,but you
                    will likely have to learn a little gaelic or at least the
                    ethnomusicological discussions arising from gaelic sources,and most
                    written about in modern gaelic in scotland. and..there's wales
                    cymru--the ap huw manuscript,perios harp music oooh aww.
                  • Trey Capnerhurst
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 20, 2001
                      Depends on the merchandice being sold, of course.

                      Musicians attract crowds. Now, if you are selling say, books of music,
                      instraments, something of that nature, you may WANT a musician to attract
                      attention of passerbys. Or something that sells itself, like incense or
                      jewelry. And then the musician is usuallu instructed to stop every once and
                      a while to let the crowd drift into the tent, rather than hang around
                      outside. My partner often entertains me and my merchant housemates while we
                      are on duty selling, but he knows darn well to move out of the way and let
                      us do our job when his music attracts interest, and then we can nab the
                      customers. Unless your in partnership with your musician, there are very
                      few things that can be more annoying for a merchant. There is nothing more
                      frustrating than trying to pitch your 100 piece of silk, which you will
                      agree does not sell itself, when a musician is loudly playing just outside
                      your booth, attracting a crowd and distracting your customers' attention.
                      An attraction just outside your door that is interfering, rather than
                      assisting your business, can mean the difference between going home with a
                      profit, and going home at all. This applies to any kind of performers, or
                      other kinds of merchants that get attention, but most merchants try to work
                      it out amounst themselves, since we all know the rules. Sometimes the
                      performers forget, and that's when things can get nasty.

                      Naturally, your best bet is to talk to the merchants, and get someone to
                      have you hang out in their booth, or sell your wares. Never tried to say
                      busking is bad. Mostly, I was just reminding everyone of the different
                      viewpts to help avoid problems at this huge event. If a small note can help
                      keep tempers from flaring btw merchants and performers, it can help everyone
                      have more fun. Nothing ruins an otherwise wonderful event like a
                      misunderstanding. And I am rather uniquely qualified to speak on this
                      subject since I have been both a performer and a merchant that sells nothing
                      even vaguely music related for many years now, so I can see it from both
                      sides.

                      Greg's helpful comments, as usual, shows what can happen if ppl don't
                      understand each other's viewpt and don't try to get along. :)

                      Traesach

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 20, 2001
                        I always try to heed the voice of experience. Now THOSE are darn helpful
                        suggestions that you can really sink your teeth into...Hmmm...May try some
                        of those myself when I go to Pennsic...

                        BTW, you're the second person to mention the kids busking. I believe it was
                        not favorably descibed. I've never seen that anywhere else. Is it really
                        such a problem at Pennsic?

                        Traesach

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 20, 2001
                          --- In SCA_BARDS@y..., Trey Capnerhurst <traesach@e...> wrote:
                          > BTW, you're the second person to mention the kids busking. I
                          believe it was
                          > not favorably descibed. I've never seen that anywhere else. Is it
                          really
                          > such a problem at Pennsic?

                          Problem is probably too strong a term. I meant that if six performers
                          (adults OR children) line up along the same stretch of path busking
                          at once, you're all competing against each other. There's only so
                          much loose change to go around. Let the kids busk, by all means. It's
                          fun, it means they're actually practicing music or whatever art they
                          do, and getting a little lemonade money for it. The spot they gather
                          in is safe (out of the road, in the shade, highly public and a good
                          location for parents to meet up with them). We grown-ups have more
                          options in choosing performance space.

                          Just my tuppence worth. BTW, for anyone who cares, my own plans are
                          somewhat up in the air right now, so I don't know yet if I will be
                          attending Pennsic XXX. We'll see....

                          Cheers,
                          Jehanne de Wodeford, Rusted Woodlands (EAST)
                        • Carol J. Bell Cannon
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 20, 2001
                            Having walked with Master Ioseph of Locksley my first
                            Estrella War, I noted that he was careful never to overshadow the
                            merchandise/[voice of the ]merchant whose space he had entered. He, of
                            course, having been around for-nearly-ever, knew almost all of them and
                            many invited him in gladly. He did not stay long in any one booth, and
                            each of the merchants who'd invited him in seemed reluctant when he took
                            his leave. My opinion as an observer is that if the musician gets
                            acquainted with/entertains the merchants while it is slow, gives them
                            business/refers folks to them when he/she is pleased with his/her own
                            purchases, and only stays where he/she is invited to, he/she may be
                            welcome. I might note, however, that Master Ioseph did not carry/hawk his
                            own wares, but when folks asked, would tell them where they might be
                            purchased. -- Gra/inne
                          • Trey Capnerhurst
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 23, 2001
                              I was, of course, speaking most generally when I issued my blanket caution
                              for performers busking near merchants. There are many cases where we
                              performers and we merchants have established a wonderful working
                              relationship. (On this subject, being part of both groups, I find it hard
                              to maintain an Us/Them attitude.) It is simply that we all must be aware of
                              the 'merchant space' in and around the booths, which is usually about 5 to
                              10 feet, depending on the wares and girth of the booth. Any other merchants
                              or buskers that get in that space and take the attention, money, etc. from
                              the passersby, unless they have an arrangment with the merchant, will not be
                              a sourse of postive energy. We all must be reminded sometimes to work
                              together, and since the merchants can't move easily, it obliges the
                              performers to be aware of the situation. Otherwise, much consternation and
                              bad feelings will inevitably result, esp. in a venue like this one, where
                              one undoubtably must work with the same ppl every year or so.

                              It's sounds like Master Ioseph is very much aware and well adapted to work
                              with merchants, as my partner has become, and is therefore a boon and a joy
                              to work with on merchants row. Since he has obviously worked so hard at it,
                              I'm sure he must feel that rewards, the appriciation and keeping the weather
                              off his head for esample, are worth it. I've usually only worn one hat at
                              an event. It's WAY too hard for me to switch to working with the other
                              merchants as a performer when my booth is just down the street and I might
                              to sell again any minute.

                              Traesach

                              On Fri, 20 Jul 2001 13:58:57 -0700, SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                              > Having walked with Master Ioseph of Locksley my first
                              > Estrella War, I noted that he was careful never to overshadow the
                              > merchandise/[voice of the ]merchant whose space he had entered. He, of
                              > course, having been around for-nearly-ever, knew almost all of them and
                              > many invited him in gladly. He did not stay long in any one booth, and
                              > each of the merchants who'd invited him in seemed reluctant when he took
                              > his leave. My opinion as an observer is that if the musician gets
                              > acquainted with/entertains the merchants while it is slow, gives them
                              > business/refers folks to them when he/she is pleased with his/her own
                              > purchases, and only stays where he/she is invited to, he/she may be
                              > welcome. I might note, however, that Master Ioseph did not carry/hawk
                              his
                              > own wares, but when folks asked, would tell them where they might be
                              > purchased. -- Gra/inne

                              "A wise woman is never insulted. The truth can never be insulting, and
                              untruths are not worth crediting."

                              Send a cool gift with your E-Card
                              http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/
                            • Fayme Zelena Harper
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 20 12:58 PM
                                I have been both a performer and a merchant for over 20 years. I've
                                busked at Pennsic of 97. It is hard to perform if you do not know if
                                you are welcome or not. Generally if business is thriving, the
                                merchant showers the performer with praise, affection and maybe food
                                or gifts. If business is slow and getting worse, it's those @)(#*!
                                performers monopolizing the customers. The best course is common
                                sense. Never block the entrance to a booth. Quiet acts are
                                generally more welcome than noisy acts. If asked to move on do so
                                politely and quickly. And if there are already too many performers,
                                come back later. It seems to be either everyone is performing or no
                                one is. I expected to see a ton of performers busking at Pennsic 97
                                and was rather disappointed to see almost none. Maybe times have
                                changed though and things have really picked up. Did any of you busk
                                this year, and if so, how was it? Yours, Zel
                              • Shivaun McGoff
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 20 2:18 PM
                                  Fayme Zelena Harper wrote:

                                  > Did any of you busk this year, and if so, how was it?

                                  Greetings to the list,

                                  I busked this year for my first time with Loriwynn the Harper next to the
                                  Perfumed Dragon behind the barn. She went up and played for a few hours every
                                  day of War Week, and I was fortunate to join her twice, once to sing and once
                                  to add my recorder to her harp music. I enjoyed the experience and found that
                                  a recorder sounds pretty good with wire strung harp when playing dances.
                                  There were several regulars around the food court; a band named Wolgemut from
                                  Berlin Germany!! played several times and was a rousing success. I found you
                                  can get their CD from the Chiv Sports Catalog (I would advise you to wait for
                                  the next one - I thought they were brilliant at War but their CD doesn't
                                  really reflect that, IMHO. Good dance music, though. They used shawm, drum,
                                  and a medieval German bagpipe at War for an exciting sound.) A few violinists
                                  played outside the Beast and Boar, for which I was truly grateful - I love
                                  encouraging violinists, there seem to be so few. Owen Phyfe and that awesome
                                  Middle Eastern band that starts with a V played at night late the second
                                  week. Both were highlights of my War. I can't remember anyone I thought was
                                  annoying, and I didn't see anyone playing next to the bazaars.
                                  Vivat to the buskers of Pennsic XXX!

                                  Lady Siobhan ni Dhonnabhain
                                  East Kingdom