9628Re: [SCA_BARDS] Digest Number 2294

  • jenny tavernier
    Feb 10, 2014
      Also, with the excellant suggestions here, you mentiond "not our period...) LOL! Good history to check out is looking up the troubadours and trouveres (North and south France). It is all fascinating, but music-wise things get pretty fascinating starting around the 11th century. (1000s thru 1450.) As far as it being period? lol - If it was there as an earlier ting, there is NO reason that it cannot be still played! Lots of luscious history there, although your friend might find it quite agreeable to bring it into "our" period as far as tunes! Almost anyone who can play a stringed instrument will be able to help.

      It there is real interest there, I honestly suggest looking up a bit of the history, and also, check out the "gothic" period, (wiki is a good overview, withou tgetting into a music history course.)  (real period name, basically medieval), before the Rennaissance, dates above)  as far as an overview of what was happening music-wise.

      Google Images, Troubadours and Trouveres, as far as images, and you will find quite a few of the European wanderers all carrying and performing with lyres as accompaniment, quite into the medieval period..

      It is indeed a valid instrument, even today. I would imagine the tuning can be one's choice! lol Though not quite the same, reference the auto-harp (when played with the fingers), (youtube). It ALL works!

      jen
      (aka Rindill, Bard of the Picklebowl)

      On Sunday, February 9, 2014 1:24 AM, corrie <corrie.bergeron@...> wrote:

      Re playing the lyre, have a look at Benjamin Bagby's performance of
      "Beowulf" in Old English. There are excellent snippets on YouTube,
      and the entire performance is available on DVD. Mind you, it's
      Bagby's interpretation of an Anglo-Saxon performance, not ancient
      Greek style, but it might provide some ideas on technique. There's
      obviously a lot room for conjecture.

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic