      From: sabakakrazny <sabakakrazny@...>
      To: SCA_BARDS@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, September 10, 2012 9:24 PM
      Subject: [SCA_BARDS] Memorium - When The Shining Towers Fell

      When The Shining Towers Fell.

      Look now children, to the sky
      See the space there in the town
      That's the place the spires once stood
      When the shining towers came down

      Remember all that passed on that day
      Hold it in your heart, and guard it well
      And I will tell you of the awful dawn
      When the shining towers fell.

      The sun rose bright, upon that day
      A day so beauteous and so clear
      And little on that lovely morn
      Did we know we'd soon have fear.

      For the day that started so fine
      Would darken by the noon
      And the terror that came upon us then
      Would haunt us come the moon.

      From far off land they did come then
      To bring to us a taste of doom
      And the City of York would have the blow
      Her people there to reel and swoon.

      And who would receive the coward's stroke?
      Not the soldiers, nor the host
      But the cityfolk who dwelled there
      Would be the ones who suffered most .

      Look now children, to the sky
      See the space there in the town
      That's the place the spires once stood
      When the shining towers came down

      Remember all that passed on that day
      Hold it in your heart, and guard it well
      And I will tell you of the awful dawn
      When the shining towers fell.

      A small band it was, determined,
      To stand against our king
      They stood opposed to our way of life
      And every noble thing.

      Their way of war was not honest
      This small but hollow band
      Not soldier not knight would they kill
      Unless by unseen hand.

      The common folk were their tool
      And their children and their kin
      For killing all the common folk
      They did not regard a sin.

      And so they sought to slaughter
      And came to cross our shores
      And bring to us the fear of death
      To the steps of our very doors.

      Look now children, to the sky
      See the space there in the town
      That's the place the spires once stood
      When the shining towers came down

      Remember all that passed on that day
      Hold it in your heart, and guard it well
      And I will tell you of the awful dawn
      When the shining towers fell.

      To the city of York, in common coach
      They came in stealthy wise
      With assassin hands they slew the crew
      While in that peaceful guise

      And the passengers they then held in bond,
      Their doom was now anigh
      And they smote our shining towers
      With deathblows from the sky!

      They struck the house that had five sides
      And sought to burn it too
      And many were the folk who fell that morn
      Countless thousands then they slew

      Another ship had been taken
      But forty brave souls would not yield,
      And like the warriors they would become
      Died heroes in a nameless field.

      Look now children, to the sky
      See the space there in the town
      That's the place the spires once stood
      When the shining towers came down

      Remember all that passed on that day
      Hold it in your heart, and guard it well
      And I will tell you of the awful dawn
      When the shining towers fell.

      Who was braver? Who can say?
      The firemen, who into danger went?
      - Many died saving lives on that day -
      Or the many souls to heaven sent?

      But of the evil villains who did the deed,
      As if down a deepest well
      I hope that they have the final rest
      In the warmest part of hell.

      Our king swore oath, as did we all
      Vengeance we would surely have
      For such a foe we cannot stand
      And took no time our wounds to salve

      And though t'was long there came the time
      In some far off distant land
      Brave soldiers found their leaders fortress
      And he perished at their hand

      Look now children, to the sky
      See the space there in the town
      That's the place the spires once stood
      When the shining towers came down

      Remember all that passed on that day
      Hold it in your heart, and guard it well
      And I will tell you of the awful dawn
      When the shining towers fell.

      But do not dwell upon those things,
      you see, for we must all live on.
      And the little band is still with us
      They hatred remains quite strong.

      And if we fight, still to this day
      Ten (eleven, twelve!) years though long have past
      When the thing is said and done
      We stand here to the last!

      Now we will visit that former place
      Where there's space unto the sky
      And we can see where the waters fall
      And the time will pass us by

      Tell the children that they will know
      Of the things that happened here
      That our lost ones will ne're be forgotten
      Remembered in all the later years….

      Look now children, to the sky
      See the space there in the town
      That's the place the spires once stood
      When the shining towers came down

      Remember all that passed on that day
      Hold it in your heart, and guard it well
      For I still remember the awful dawn
      When the shining towers fell.

      Bran Buchanan

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic