8162Re: new sca bard -vids/music/trad tunes (Childe Ballads)

  • tsivia@uottawa.ca
    Oct 1, 2008
      Just a quick note on the Steeleye Span songs noted in Jenneth's post on
      "period" songs, as Child Ballads and other period non-court music is what
      I got my Laurel in a couple of million years ago...<grin>

      Ultimately sing what is FUN FOR YOU. Get over the fear of standing in
      front of people and singing, and THEN do the research into songs which are
      fun AND period. I used to draw from Steeleye Span (English), Fairport
      Convention (English), Pentangle (English), Silly Wizard (Scots), the
      Corries (Scots) and Gaberlunzie (Ditto). A caveat: nearly NOTHING in
      ENGLISH sung as "Irish folk song" is period. All of THAT was done in
      GAELIC.

      But above all else: HAVE FUN!!!
      TSivia (Ealdormere)

      All around my hat
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqInvZ9hY9Y&feature=related
      I don't know how old this one IS but it isn't a Child (no "E" please: it's
      the proper last name of the fellow who collected the songs) ballad.

      the blacksmith
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WGIo_y7jdI&feature=related
      Collected by Cecil Sharp, and not Francis James Child. Date is unclear to me.

      Lark in the Morning
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGHYl7Kv50g
      Collected by Ralph Vaughan Williams (date unclear to me).

      Cam ye o're from france
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVe-izA-Fj4&feature=related
      A Scots 1745 rebellion song with lots of political references, thinly
      veiled. Definitely NOT period - I learnt it off an old "Corries" record
      <!!> album in the early 1970s. It's a great bouncy song, but not w/in the
      1650ish cut-off for the SCA.

      Choral surprise - Gaudete
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBZ8v9L8444&feature=related
      Piae Cantiones (Finland, 1582);The words derive from the medieval Bohemian
      song Ezechielis Porta, which Finnish clerical students would have
      encountered in Prague and which shared a tune with a Czech vernacular
      Christmas song that still survives. Finno, the editor of Piae Cantiones,
      was probably responsible for the refrain. It adapts the words of one of
      the medieval verses to the music which, in various forms, was sung
      throughout Lutheran Germany to Luther's single-stanza grace before meals,
      Danket dem Herrn.
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic