2669Re: [SCA_BARDS] Hey Landesknecht

  • Etienne
    Jun 3, 2003
      Actually the song is called Rite of Passage" by Duke
      Conn MacNeill.
      I have attached the doc file that I cleaned up and it
      also contains the link for the midi file for the
      music

      Etienne
      (settling in the Outlands)

      Rite of Passage
      Words & Music: Conn MacNeill
      Source:

      In Hyberia born to a father full worthy
      Who died fighting Normans with a sword in his hand.
      My schooling was then taken up by my uncle
      A pirate more clever than the scholars of France.
      He said,
      I've seen a horse, a fine Andalus stallion,
      I've seen a blade of the good Spanish steel
      I've seen a bonnet of Rhineland gilt iron,
      And a cunning wrought hauberk from over the sea
      I've seen them all, I've seen them all-a-all.
      I've seen them all in my travels at sea.
      Now my eyes met the knights as we boarded his vessel
      My rusty blade sundered by his first blow at me
      As I bore him to the deck my wound burned like fire
      But not quite as brightly as the things in my dreams.
      I said,
      I'll have a horse, a fine Andalus stallion,
      I'll have a blade of the good Spanish steel
      I'll have a bonnet of Rhineland gilt iron,
      And a cunning wrought hauberk from over the sea.
      I'll have them all, I'll have them all-a-all,
      I'll have them all with the ransom for thee.
      The ransom by law, well it went to my uncle
      A tunic and dagger were all he gave me
      I drank the French wine as the knights spoke of
      tourney
      And the fine things and glories that waited for me.
      Saying,
      I'll have a horse, a fine Andalus stallion,
      I'll have a blade of the good Spanish steel
      I'll have a bonnet of Rhineland gilt iron,
      And a cunning wrought hauberk from over the sea.
      You'll have them all, You'll have them all-a-all,
      You'll have them all if you come back with me.

      So I went with the knight for my heart was a lions'
      But I had no skill with the horse or the lance
      Through the pain and the shame of my training I
      chanted
      My head hit the ground, or I stumbled at dance.
      Saying,
      I'll have a horse, a fine Andalus stallion,
      I'll have a blade of the good Spanish steel
      I'll have a bonnet of Rhineland gilt iron,
      And a cunning wrought hauberk from over the sea.
      I'll have them all, I'll have them all-a-all,
      I'll have them all when I've mastered these deeds.
      The tournament field held both demons and angels
      Men well scarred and ruthless And ladies full fair
      My horse and my armour were much cause for laughter
      But I laughed right back when I saw the knights there
      For
      One sat a horse a fine Andalus stallion,
      One girt a blade of the good Spanish steel,
      Another donned a bonnet of Rhineland gilt iron,
      And a cunning wrought hauberk from over the sea
      I'll have them all, I'll have them all-a-all,
      I'll have them all when I've won them from ye
      Now the knights in the meadow they numbered 500
      But midst that death's throng I saw clearly but three
      The first one still carries my lance in his shoulder
      The second and third lie well bitten by steel
      Now,
      I'll have a horse, a fine Andalus stallion,
      I'll have a blade of the good Spanish steel
      I'll have a bonnet of Rhineland gilt iron,
      And a cunning wrought hauberk from over the sea.
      I have them all, I have them all-a-all,
      I have them all and now all shall know me
      The ladies in the evening they looked on me frowning
      Saying "Any wild beast can do the deeds that we've
      seen"
      So I danced in the galliard and lilted a chanson
      Now all the knights grow quite jealous of me

      For,
      I'll have a horse, a fine Andalus stallion,
      I'll have a blade of the good Spanish steel
      I'll have a bonnet of Rhineland gilt iron,
      And a cunning wrought hauberk from over the sea.
      I have them all, I have them all-a-all,
      I have them all, all the ladies I mean
      By torchlight we hearkened to tales of armed pilgrims
      Who told us of wonders in the lands to the east
      Where a butler through merit became Prince of Jaffa
      I cried out "My lords brave a passage for me."
      For,
      I'll have a horse, a fine Andalus stallion,
      I'll have a blade of the good Spanish steel
      I'll have a bonnet of Rhineland gilt iron,
      And a cunning wrought hauberk from over the sea.
      I have it all, I have it all-a-all,
      I'll have it all, all the lands there for me
      My hauberk has warded a dozen barbed arrows
      My stallion with hoofs shod in iron fells three
      The blow of an emir is turned on my bonnet
      My blade swift as lightening flies straight at his
      teeth
      And,
      I'll have a horse, a fine Andalus stallion,
      I'll have a blade of the good Spanish steel
      I'll have a bonnet of Rhineland gilt iron,
      And a cunning wrought hauberk from over the sea.
      I have them all, I have them all-a-all,
      I have them all, all his lands left to me
      My fief on the marches looks east on Damascus
      A holding fit only for the fierce and the bold
      And I need strong vassals with hearts like a lion's
      To help me bring back what the caravans hold.

      And,
      You'll have a horse, a fine Andalus stallion
      You'll have a blade of the good Spanish steel
      You'll have a bonnet of Rhineland gilt iron
      And a cunning wrought hauberk from over the sea.
      You'll have them all, You'll have them all-a-all
      You'll have them all, all the spoils of the east

      --- Jross007@... wrote:
      > Well, that was fast. Maybe someone here
      > can help me.
      > I am looking for the words to a song I heard
      > a year or two ago,
      > I was thinking it was called " The Walls of
      > Jerusalem "
      > The Refrain was something like this:
      > " I'll have a horse, a white andalue
      > stallion,
      > I'll have a blade if that fine Spanish steel,
      > I'll have a hauberk<?>...."
      >
      > It goes on and on.
      > A Beautiful and haunting tune.
      >
      > Any help would be appreciated.