SAVE THE DATE: iCan Bike Camp 2014
The Eastside Family YMCA Brings To You Its 2nd Year “iCan Bike” Camp For Individuals With Disabilities!
Coming to Taylors, SC the week of August 11-15 2014!
HOW IT WORKS
From August 11-15, iCan Shine’s iCan Bike program will be in Taylors, SC to teach individuals with disabilities how to ride a conventional bike and become a lifelong independent rider!
iCan Bike uses a fleet of adapted bicycles, a specialized instructional program and a trained staff to teach individuals with disabilities how to ride a bike. Riders attend the same 75-minute session each day for five consecutive days (M – F) whereby they are physically assisted and encouraged by two volunteer “spotters”.
Over the course of the 5-day camp the adapted bike is adjusted to gradually introduce more instability in an effort to challenge riders at their own individual pace. The week is concluded with a touching and inspiring award ceremony!
HOW YOU CAN GET INVOLVED
Riders and Volunteers Needed!
iCan Bike riders are children ages 8 and up, teens and sometimes adults who have a diagnosed disability but able to walk without assistive devices and sidestep from side to side.
Parents, teachers and therapists describe our results as INCREDIBLE. In 2012, by the end of the 5-day camp over 80% of riders learned to ride a conventional bike completely independently. Success in learning to ride a bicycle is a major accomplishment. Learning to ride builds confidence and an improved self-image.
Rider Requirements (limited spots available):
• Must be at least 8 years old by start of camp and have a disability
• Must be able to walk without an assistive device and sidestep to both sides
• Must be able to attend the same 75-minute session each day of the 5-day camp
• Must be under 220 lbs. and have a minimum inseam measurement of 20” (measure from floor with sneakers on)
To learn more about how to participate as a rider e-mail: icanbikegreenvillesc@... or see the attached rider registration forms to REGISTER TODAY !
Please pass the word along about this great camp so we can make sure and fill every spot and serve as many individuals as possible!
Be a Volunteer
Be a “spotter” for the same rider for each of the 5 days and experience the thrill of giving the gift of riding a bike! 75 invigorating minutes per day… it just may be the most rewarding exercise and emotional experience you’ve ever had!
• At least 16 years old (unless accompanied by an adult)
• Able to attend 90 minutes at the same time each of the 5 days of camp (15 minutes of training/daily debriefing)
• Able to provide physical, emotional and motivational support to assigned rider
• Able and willing to get some exercise (light jogging/running) for a great cause!
Be a Sponsor
To support this endeavor contact our camp director Lindsay Buckles at: icanbikegreenvillesc@...
Be a Donor
No donation is too small! Make a donation today to the Eastside Family YMCA so we can continue to hold this camp for many years to come!
Please let me know if you have any questions! I look forward to seeing you at camp!
Eastside Family YMCA
1250 Taylors Rd.
Taylors, SC 29687
(864) 292-2790 ext. 15
(803) 431-1997 - cell
(864) 268-2459 - fax
The Y: We're for youth development, healthy living and social responsibility.