Changes to Home & Community Based Waivers

    Message 1 of 1 , May 2 6:38 AM

      The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), the federal Medicaid agency, has given a final ruling which will impact South Carolina's Medicaid waivers. This includes the Intellectual Disabilities & Related Disabilities (ID/RD) Waiver, the Community Supports (CS) Waiver, the Head & Spinal Cord Injuries (HASCI) Waiver and the CLTC Community Choices Waiver. At this point, changes are not expected to affect the Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) Waiver. CMS is in the process of beginning to explain what the new rule will mean for states. While we do not know the full extent of these changes at this time, we do anticipate these changes will be positive for families.

      The final rule addresses several sections of Medicaid law under which states may use federal Medicaid funds to pay for home and community-based services (HCBS). The rule supports enhanced quality in HCBS programs, adds protections for individuals receiving services. In addition, this rule reflects CMS’ intent to ensure that individuals receiving services and supports through Medicaid’s HCBS programs have full access to the benefits of community living and are able to receive services in the most integrated setting.  A Fact Sheet is available by clicking here

      There are many major initiatives going on in South Carolina right now. To read more about these initiatives click here

      We will keep you posted with any additional developments.

      Cell:  (864) 517-0501

      Join us at Strides for Autism!

      Midlands -- Saturday, May 3, 2014, Finlay Park, Columbia

      Visit https://scautism.org/strides/ for more information and registration!