August Update - SC Autism Society

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27, 2013
      August Update - SC Autism Society

      August 2013

      scaslogo_SMALL 2

      The Update
      PDF format, click here

      Message from the Board Chair

      SCAS is taking more steps in its transition through recent unexpected difficult circumstances.

      Representatives from SCAS continue to meet with staff from state agencies, to resolve the accounting discrepancies mentioned in the recent report from the state Inspector General’s audit.  We hope that we will be able to continue to provide all the services SCAS has established that help individuals with autism spectrum disorders achieve their maximum potential – our organization’s mission – in the long run.

      However, the Parent-School Partnership, which provided parent mentors to assist families with IEPs and related special education services, has been discontinued indefinitely. This program has been funded through a proviso authorized by the state legislature, and distributed through the SC Dept. of Education. Funding is being delayed, based on previous years’ distributions. We will update you as the situation changes.

      SCAS’ annual conference and members’ meeting is scheduled for Saturday, Oct. 12, in West Columbia. Details about the conference are elsewhere in this newsletter and can be found on the SCAS Web site, www.SCautism.org. Follow the link on left, under “Events,” to the Annual Conference Registration page, http://www.scautism.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=35&Itemid=23.

      The conference offers networking opportunities with other families and professionals; a resource fair; a bookstore with ASD-themed items in addition to books and other reference materials; and a silent auction featuring custom artwork, custom themed baskets and other great items.  You can preview some of the ASD-themed items on the SCAS Website, or even purchase them online, through  the “Shop SCAS” link. Your participation in the conference should help you, and will help SCAS help you in the future.

      Following a morning of seminars and inspirational speakers, we plan to host a “town hall” session during the annual members’ meeting. Bring your questions and suggestions, and SCAS staff and board members will address them.

      Most – probably all, in reality – of the items in the silent auction are donated. We appreciate the support from these contributors, and we will appreciate your support through SCAS membership, and conference and auction participation. As a non-profit organization, SCAS is dependent on memberships and other private contributions to fund many of our services.

      If you or someone you know would like to play golf while also supporting SCAS, note the date of Friday, Oct. 25. SCAS’ annual golf tournament will be held that day at Woodcreek Farms in Columbia. Again, we thank our community partners who help SCAS provide a wide range of services.

      We are also actively “re-starting” the search for a new CEO. Plans are to identify possible candidates by late autumn and have a new CEO in place early next year.  Kim Thomas continues to serve as interim CEO.

      We want everyone affiliated with SCAS – members, families, professionals, friends – to become a member of SCAS if you aren’t already, and we want you to continue to take steps with us, in support of the mission because we believe in someone with autism.

      Susan Kastner
      Board Chair, SC Autism Society

      SC Autism Society Annual Conference

      Join us at the South Carolina Autism Society’s Annual Conference!

      Saturday, October 12, 2013
      Phillips Market Center
      On the grounds of the State Farmer's Market, West Columbia, SC

      $50 -- Family Members, Students, Individuals with ASD
      $75 -- Professionals, General Community
      Includes free membership for new members!
      Limited Scholarships Available -- Click here
      Scheduled presenters include:

      • Dena Gassner, Award-winning advocate, author, entrepeneur ,discussing the DSM-5. The winner of three advocacy awards, Dena Gassner currently serves as an advisory board member for ASA and GRASP. Click here to read more.
      • David & Tina Long, who shared their son Tyler’s story of bullycide in the Bully  movie documentary
      • Ron Reames, MA, LPC & Suzanne Siman, MACC, LPC of CCCBI, to discuss techniques to prevent bullying, and support those affected by bullying.

       Included in the Conference are our Annual Meeting, Awards, and Silent Auction.

      Click here to Register now!

      For spaces in the Resource Fair, Click Here.

      To nominate someone for an Award, Click here.

      Silent Auction to include:
      · Disney park passes
      · Charleston hotel reservations
      · American Girl Doll
      · Large variety of gift certificates for massages, restaurants, and fun things to keep your busy!
      · And MORE!

      A New Way to Support SCAS!

      What if you had a way to support the mission of the South Carolina Autism Society, receive great discount offers, and have a chance at winning $5,000, all at the same time?  What if you could do all this in just seconds a day?

      Introducing South Carolina Autism Society on i-Text!

      How does it work?

      • Sign up for the South Carolina Autism Society i-Text group, and agree to receive no more than 3 text messages per day, starting in October.
      • For each text sent to your phone, the South Carolina Autism Society earns money!  You don’t even have to open the text message!  Just delete it if you want! Your only obligation is to merely receive the offers.
      • You may want to open those messages though, as they will contain special offers from local and national companies who want your business.  Some of the national companies include McDonalds, Nike, P&G, Coke, and MORE!
      • There’s a chance one of those messages may even include one of the ‘no strings attached’ winning sweepstakes messages, worth up to $5,000!

      All messages are family-friendly.  I-Text will not accept advertising involving alcohol, tobacco, weapons, or adult themes.  Messages will only be sent during regular businesses hours in your time zone.  There is no risk involved – cancel at any time.

      You do not have to buy, rent or consume anything. Just receive these great offers you likely will both want and/or need.  Donate your goodwill to help us support the South Carolina Autism Society.

      Take a moment and sign up today!

      From your cellphone:

      Send a message to 70000

      In the message box type:

      your email address

      your zip code

      OR go online: signup.i-texts.com/scautism

      Click on Enroll Now

      Complete your profile by filling out the interest survey.

      You will receive special offers/ads related to your interests.

      Your information is secure, never sold, and you can cancel at any time.  To cancel, text to 70000, and in the message box enter the word “STOP”.

      Sign up today for this easy way to support the South Carolina Autism Society!

      Events & Activities

      Coffee Talk Parent Supportcoffee

      Join us on the first Wednesday of each month for Coffee Talk!  These parent support groups are held at each of the SCAS offices statewide.  Contact your local SCAS office for more information.

      Please note that this is a parent and caregiver support format.
      Businesses, organizations, and providers are welcome to send or drop materials for us to distribute.
      Thank you for respecting the needs of our families!

      Stay Tuned!

      We're collaborating with Junior League of Columbia to host 4 events (2 Respite, 2 Family Fun) for the fall and spring (1 Respite and 1 Family fun in the fall, the same in the spring).  Details such as date and location are TBD, but these are going to be some fun events you won't want to miss!

      Fall Golf!  Friday, October 25th
      Stay tuned for more information, and visit http://www.scautism.org for information.

      ASD & Adulthood Roundtable
      A Family Connection event

      Tuesday, Sept. 3
      6:30 - 8:00 p.m.
      At Hughes Main Library
      25 Heritage Green Place, Greenville SC 29601

      A Roundtable discussion on ASD and adulthood, featuring representatives from Project Hope and other area organizations addressing independent and dependent living possibilities, day programs, and other concerns and needs of the adults-with-ASD population.

      Please contact Family Connection to RSVP and reserve child care:
      864-331-1340 or 864-982-7701.

      YMCA Spectrum Sundays

      Join the YMCA of Greenville for monthly family activities for families affected by autism.  No Y membership needed to attend.  All are welcome.  Information and registration online at scautism.org, or email gmckee@...

      September TBA

      Sun, October 13

      Fall Frolic—Centerpiece making, pumpkin decorating, Hayrides, archery, spinning wool, , and more--$8 per family

      2-4:30 pm

      Hollingsworth Outdoor Center

      Sun, November 10

      Spectrum Swim

      5-7 pm

      Adams Mill Program Center

      Lowcountry Autism Forum

      Saturday, September 7, 2013
      8 am
      The College of Charleston's Sottile Theater
      44 George Street
      Charleston, SC, 29401
      Cost:  FREE

      Click here for more information.

      SC Autism Society Monthly Workshops in Conjunction with the South Carolina Department of Education
      806 12th St., West Columbia, South Carolina 29169, (800) 438-4790

      Click here for the full list for 2013-2014.

      September 23, 2013

      Autism 101***

      10:00 – 12:00 pm

      October 30, 2013

      Visual Supports – Workshop on creating Visual supports for the child’s environment.

      10:00 – 12:00 pm

      November 13, 2013

      Communication Strategies – Various strategies used to facilitate communication for children with ASD.

      10:00 – 12:00 pm

      December 4, 2013

      Digital Books – Digital books that are free or low-cost with speech output.

      10:00 – 12:00 pm

      ***Autism 101 – Introduction to Autism Spectrum Disorder
      To register and receive confirmation, contact Delilah by phone at (803) 750 6988 ext 108  or by email at iandr@...

      Thank You to our Donors!

      The Harper Family Foundation
      Meyer Mechanical Services, LLC
      Mid-Carolina Electric Cooperative Wire Account
      W. E. Parker Elementary School
      United Auto Sales, Idol Watch
      WACH-Barrington Columbia, LLC
      Mr. Frank Clark
      Mr. Joe Numberger, American Roadside Burgers
      Ms. Mandy Satterfield, Bradshaw, Gordon & Clinkscales, LLC
      Ms. Stuart Senter, A Bright Idea, LLC/Learning Express 286
      In Memory of Mr. Roy Walters:
      Blue Cross Blue Shield of South Carolina
      Dr. David Holzendorf, North Springs Elementary
      Ms. Luetta Weir

      New and Renewing Members!

      Ms. Donna Alioto
      Ms. Charlotte Anthony
      Mrs. Loretta Boronat
      Ms. Casey Garvin
      Ms. Gina Inman
      Ms. Patricia McCarthy
      Ms. Katherine Tomiczek
      Mr. Fred Wernsing

      We have come a long way in our knowledge about autism and the education and treatments that best help children with autism spectrum disorders.  Nonetheless, there is still much work to be done.  You can make a difference by volunteering your time or resources to the South Carolina Autism Society.  You can join even if you don’t have a family member with autism, but want to help out in some way.  A financial contribution might cover the costs of printing materials or long distance telephone calls to support a family living in a remote part of our state.

      Membership Levels

      BASIC                     BENEFACTOR             SUPPORTING
      Individual ($10)     Individual ($75)         Individual ($35)
      Family ($20)           Family ($100)             Family ($50)

      Research Opportunities

      Autism Study

      MUSC, USC, and GHS are pleased to announce a new research project. This study will examine biomarkers (genes) in blood and the success of two medications, risperidone and aripiprazole, for treatment of irritability in autism spectrum disorders.
      Your child may be eligible to participate if: he/she has been diagnosed with or is suspected of having an autism spectrum disorder. he/she is age 6 to 17. he/she has problems with irritability.

      We are pleased to announce the opening of a research office in Florence at McLeod Pediatrics, 204 E Cheves St, Florence, SC 29506.

      We are know that it is hard for parents from the Florence, Conway, Myrtle Beach area to travel weekly to Columbia or Charleston.  We hope that this will provide the opportunity for children with autism and irritability to participate in this exciting study.  Please call either the Charleston or the Columbia Coordinator listed in the ad for information.
      Compensation is available to study participants.
      For information, contact:
      MUSC: Gregory Ricalde (843) 792-0384
      USC:  Sarah Ravan (803) 434-4536
      GHS:  Betsy Holbrook (864) 454-5591
      Charlie the Robot

      charlieCharlie the Robot lives at the University of South Carolina.  Charlie has been working hard and accomplishing some wonderful things with children with autism who have little to no speech and who are ages 3 to 6.  If you live in the Columbia area, please call Laura Boccanfuso at 803-237-758 so your child can begin working with Charlie.

      Event & Activity Calendar

      September 3

      ASD & Adulthood Roundtable

      September 4

      Coffee Talk Parent Support

      September 7

      Lowcountry Autism Forum

      September TBA

      YMCA Spectrum Sunday in Simpsonville

      October 2

      Coffee Talk Parent Support

      October 12

      Annual Meeting & Conference

      October 13

      YMCA Spectrum Sunday in Simpsonville

      October 25

      Fall Golf Tournament

      November 10

      YMCA Spectrum Sunday in Simpsonville

      South Carolina Autism Society
      806 12th Street, West Columbia, SC  29169

      Click to view this email in a browser

      South Carolina Autism Society
      806 12th Street
      West Columbia, SC 29169

      Try Email Marketing with VerticalResponse!