SC Autism Society -- July Mini-Update

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 17, 2013
      SC Autism Society -- July Mini-Update

      Click to view this email in a browser

      miniupdate 2

      July 2013

      divider2.gif

      spacer.gif

      Announcements

      palmettopuzzle_smaller 2

      SC Autism Society Annual Conference

      Save the date for the South Carolina Autism Society’s Annual Conference!

      Saturday, October 12, 2013

      West Columbia, SC

      Current scheduled presenters include:

      • Dena Gassner, Award-winning advocate, author, entrepeneur, discussing the DSM-5
      • David & Tina Long, who shared their son Tyler’s story of bullycide in the Bully  movie documentary
      • Ron Reames, MA, LPC & Suzanne Siman, MACC, LPC of CCCBI, to discuss techniques to prevent bullying, and support those affected by bullying.

      Included in the Conference are:

      • Annual Meeting
      • Awards
      • Silent Auction
      • Lunch
      • Resource Fair

      Reserve your Resource Fair space now by clicking here.

      Nominate someone for an Award now by clicking here.

      Stay tuned for more information, or visit our website at

      http://www.scautism.org

      The United States of Autism Movie

      unitedstatesofautism

      Tuesday, July 30 7:00pm - 8:55pm

      Camelot theater - Greenville

      Presented by The LUCAS Network, SC Autism Society and Project Hope Foundation

      Tickets:  $11.00

      Deadline: July 23

      Pending :This event will only happen if 60 more people reserve a ticket.

      The Event Program

                 Movie presentation of The United States of Autism

      Follow one man's 11,000 mile, 40 day journey across the American landscape to visit twenty families and individuals affected by autism while searching for answers for his own son. With interviews from around the nation that include the widest spectrum of backgrounds - each conducted in the participants' original language - the film weaves a broad and compelling tapestry across the spectrum of American life in all its faiths, disparities, colors, and cultures. What he learns along the way will change not only his life, but the lives of those he meets, forever. It's a story about the best days that still lie ahead for our nation, the families, and the people who give America its heart.

      read more +read less -

                 Q&A  Stick around after the film for a special Q&A concerning autism and autism services in the Upstate SC Area!

      Healing Farms Ministries in the News

      Click Here to read a story about what Healing Farms Ministries is doing for young adults with developmental, cognitive, and intellectual disabilities in the Lowcountry.  For more information on Healing Farms Ministries, visit http://healingfarms.com/.

      Greenville County Gold Circle Club

      The Golden Circle Club is available to “permanently disabled adults” in the Greenville County Schools area. Membership offers:

      • Free Admission to School-Sponsored Public Events Including Regular Season Athletic Events, Plays, Concerts, and Music Productions

      • Free Admission to Roper Mountain Science Center Second Saturdays and Starry Nights

      • Special Golden Circle Club Newsletter

      • Invitations to Special School and District Events

      For an application and information on how to apply: http://www.greenville.k12.sc.us/students/docs/sports/gcbrochure.pdf

      divider.gif

      Current Research Opportunities

      palmettopuzzle_smaller 3

      Autism Presentation in Adulthood

      This project seeks people aged 18 years and older who have been formally diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder. It aims to find out how autism presents in adulthood.  Click here for more information.

      Fun with Charlie the Robot:

      We are currently conducting a research study to evaluate the effectiveness of a robot named CHARLIE to improve the verbal and nonverbal communication skills in children with autism.  Click here for more information.

      Infant Research Study:

      We are interested in learning about the early development of infants who may be at risk for developmental delays, as well as those who are typically developing.  Click here for more information.

      Autism Biomarkers Study:

      This study will examine biomarkers (genes) in blood and the success of two medications, risperidone and aripiprazole, for treatment of irritability in autism spectrum disorders.  Click here for more information.

      Language Abilities in Autism and Fragile X:

      The Neurodevelopment Disabilities Research Project at USC has a newly funded study examining how language abilities impact the success of adolescents with autism after entering into adulthood. We are currently recruiting boys with autism who are aged 14-22 years old for the study.  Click here for more information.

      To have your study listed on the SCAS website, please email your announcement to webmaster@....

      divider.gif

      Upcoming Events

      palmettopuzzle_smaller 4

      Coffee Talk Parent Support

      Visit your local SC Autism Society office on the first Wednesday of each month from 9 - 11 for our monthly parent-support gatherings.  Light snacks and drinks are provided.  Next date:  August 7th.

      Note:  This is a parent/caregiver support forum.  Business/Organizations may drop off materials in advance for distribution.  Thank you for respecting the privacy of our families.

      Surfers for Autism -Tybee Island, GA

      July 17 -- Registration begins

      September 7 -- Event

      At Surfers For Autism events, our surfers are provided a safe, fun, judgement free environment where highly skilled surf instructors carefully guide them into waves. Our surfers and their families are treated like rock stars and enjoy a day filled with a range of activities including stand up paddle boarding, kayaking, live music, face-painting, games, fire engine tours and much more. A catered lunch is also provided, all at no cost to registered participants, their families and volunteers.  For more information on Surfers for Autism, visit http://www.surfersforautism.org.  For registration instructions, visit https://www.facebook.com/events/410772502326479/

      Spectrum Performance

      Spectrum 8x10 Cards 2013 lowJuly 26 -- Greenville

      Join us for the performance that celebrates the progress participants have made in a 6-week Spectrum Social Skills Program.  Program begins at 7:30 pm at the Kroc Center.  FREE.

      Autism Mini-Conference

      July 20 -- Grand Strand

      Would you like to stay updated on the latest information and statistics regarding Autism?  Do you have unanswered questions for the professionals?  Speakers including Dr Jane Charles from MUSC will be presenting the latest Autism information.  Click here for the schedule and contact 843-449-0554 for more information.

      YMCA Spectrum Sunday

      August 18 -- Simpsonville

      Join us at the Adams Mill Program Center in Simpsonville! We will swim, play in the gym, do crafts, and of course visit with all our Spectrum Friends!

      Please click here to register online so that we can plan for supplies.

      Touch the Future: AT Summer Camp for Educators & Related Services

      July 29-August 2 -- Anderson

      Hands on Assistive Technology Summer Camp designed for Special Educators and Therapists working in School Systems providing a full week to learn and experience a variety of technology options available to help meet your students’ educational needs.  Click here for more information

      Spectrum Theater Camp

      August 5-9 -- Greenville

      Pieces of the puzzle: a drama experience for children on the autism spectrum at the SC CHildren's Theater.  Click here for more information.

      iCAN Bike

      July 22 - 26 -- Charleston

      July 29 - August 2 -- Greenville

      Lose the training wheels and learn to bike!  Approximately 80% of the individuals who participate in our iCan Bike programs ride a two-wheel bicycle independently by the end of our five-day programs. Click here for more information.  Volunteers also needed!

      Grace in the Wilderness

      July 20 -- Powdersville

      Fourth Annual Grace in the Wilderness Women's Conference for Moms of Special Needs Children.  Click here for more information.

      YMCA Spectrum Family Camps

      August, October & November

      Spectrum Family Camp offers families with children on the autism spectrum a fun and safe environment, with well-trained staff that truly understand kids on the spectrum.  We'll take care of the details like sensory friendly activities, picture charts for easier transitions, and menus designed to accommodate diets upon advanced request. Click here for more information.

      Transition Conference

      October 19th

      Able South Carolina (formerly Disability Action Center), Protection and Advocacy for People with Disabilities Inc. and the SC Developmental Disabilities Council are holding a FREE conference on October 19th for transition-age students (13-22) and their caregivers. Lunch will be provided.

      Registration will open July 2013. Visit http://www.able-sc.org for more information.

      If you have an event you would like to share, please email it to pr@....

      divider.gif

      spacer.gif

      donatebutton

      If you believe in someone who has an autism spectrum disorder, then you believe in the Autism Society's mission. Please click here to make a donation today.

      The South Carolina Autism Society is a 501(c)(3) organization, and a registered charity in the state of South Carolina.

      SCAS Offices

      Main Office (Midlands):

      806 12th Street

      West Columbia, SC  29169