SC Autism Society April Update Newsletter

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 25, 2013
      April Update - SC Autism Society

      April 2013

      divider2.gif

      scaslogo_SMALL 2

      The Update
      PDF format, click here

      divider2.gif

      palmettopuzzle40yrs

      Message from the Interim Director

      I want to thank all of our families for their continued support over the past few months.  SCAS has been working steadily to provide quality services to you and your loved ones.  It has been an amazing month filled with various autism awareness activities.

      We started the month off with the South Carolina Most Wanted Poker Run having a record turnout.  A big thank you to SCMW for their continued support of South Carolina Autism Society and folks affected by autism spectrum disorders.  It was truly amazing to see all of the different motorcycle clubs out supporting the cause.

      The next event was the Upstate Strides for Autism Walk which was terrific again this year.  We had an amazing turnout.  Thanks to all of the exhibitors and a special thanks to Jim Hardin, Marty the Magician, and Cub Scout Pack 527.  We were thrilled to have Dr. Savage as our honorary chair for the upstate and are thankful for his interest in working with our young adults.

      As we wrap up April and Autism Awareness month I'm reminded of how special the people are that we work with affected by an autism spectrum disorder.  It has been fun to share with the community how awesome our people really are and what a joy it is to work with people affected by an autism spectrum disorder.

      Don't forget to join us in the Midlands for Strides for Autism.  Kelly Nash will be our honorary chair and Joe Pinner will be back as our MC.  Also, we have a special musical guest this year coming from the upstate, Jim Hardin, and the Palm has graciously agreed to attend and provide music as well.  This will be a fun family event so join us on Saturday May 4th, at Riverwalk Amphitheater in West Columbia.

      Again, thank you for being part of the South Carolina Autism Society family!  If you have any suggestions, questions, or concerns please don't hesitate to contact me at kim@... or you can call me at 803-750-6988 ext. 101.

      Kim Thomas
      Interim Director

      spacer.gif

      divider2.gif

      strideslogo

      Strides for Autism

      Mark your calendars for the second Strides for Autism event of 2013!

      Midlands -- Saturday, May 4, Riverwalk Amphitheater, West Columbia

      Strides for Autism is SCAS’s signature fund-raising and awareness walk.  They include a fun-walk, resource fair, and family-fun activities.  The goals of our Strides for Autism events are:

      • To raise the awareness of autism spectrum disorders.
      • To raise funds for the South Carolina Autism Society.

      SCAS is the only statewide agency advocating for children and adults with autism spectrum disorders and their families, while also providing assistance and resources.  SCAS promotes, educates and raises awareness that one in every 88 births in the U.S. is a child with autism, and provides support for South Carolina-based research and development.  Most importantly, SCAS works to ensure that the 50,000+ individuals with an autism spectrum disorder (ASD) living in South Carolina have opportunities to achieve a quality of life comparable to their peers.

      Registration

      Participants in the event can register as an individual, family, or team.  Contact your family and friends and ask them to sponsor you!  There is no minimum donation, but individual registrations of at least $25 will receive an event t-shirt, and family registrations of at least $50 will receive 4 event t-shirts.  T-shirts are distributed at Strides events only.  (Previous participants will need to create new accounts and teams each year.)

      Monies raised for South Carolina Autism Society stay in South Carolina and go towards family supports, education, advocacy, and South Carolina-based research.

      Corporate Sponsorships & Resource Fair

      Corporate Sponsorships opportunities are available, as are spaces at the Resource Fair.  For more information, visit https://scautism.org/strides/sponsorships/

      Thank you to our Current Sponsors!

      bcbssc_wTag_hor_7462   anchorsign_logo   cccbiNEWsceapGHSCH Standard
      BMWnewDavisOrthologo11Langston_logoksk
      simpsonvilletreelogo   attpioneers2   indexx_logo

      Registration and other information for Strides for Autism, along with information about autism and SCAS, is available at the event Web site, www.scautism.org/strides/, or by calling the Columbia SCAS office at 1-800-438-4790.

      spacer.gif

      divider2.gif

      savethedate

      SC Autism Society Annual Conference

      Save the date for the South Carolina Autism Society’s Annual Conference!

      Saturday, October 12, 2013
      Brookland Baptist Conference Center, West Columbia, SC

      We are finalizing the speakers for this year.  Current scheduled presenters include:

      · Dena Gassner, Self-Advocate discussing the DSM-5
      · David & Tina Long, who shared their son Tyler’s story of bullycide in the Bully  movie documentary

      Included in the Conference are our Annual Meeting, Awards, and Silent Auction.

      Stay tuned for more information, or visit our website at
      http://www.scautism.org.

      bully

      spacer.gif

      divider2.gif

      Upcoming Events

      YMCA Spectrum Sundays

      Join the YMCA of Greenville for monthly family activities for families affected by autism.  No Y membership needed to attend.  All are welcome.  Information and registration online at scautism.org, or email gmckee@...

      Sun, May 5

      Spectrum Swim

      5-7 pm

      Adams Mill Program Center

      Sun, June 16

      Spectrum Swim

      5-7 pm

      Adams Mill Program Center

      72135_10151351050766636_1716977811_n

      divider2.gif

      Fundraisers & Fun Stuff!

      initialsPurchase items from Initials, inc. during the month of April, and Melony Davis will donate 50% of the proceeds to the South Carolina Autism Society!  Visit www.myinitials-inc.com/melonydavis to shop online!

      edventure

      Visit EdVenture Children’s Museum in Columbia!  The South Carolina Autism Society has three special family passes available for families affected by autism to check out at no cost!  Contact Sarah or Lauren at the Columbia office to reserve a pass!  You can reach them at 803-750-6988.

      glam

      spacer.gif

      divider2.gif

      Coffee Talk Parent Support

      Join us on the first Wednesday of each month for Coffee Talk!  These parent support groups are held at each of the SCAS offices statewide.  Contact your local SCAS office for more information.

      Please note that this is a parent and caregiver support format.
      Businesses, organizations, and providers are welcome to send or drop materials for us to
      distribute.  Thank you for respecting the needs of our families!

      coffee

      divider2.gif

      Memberships

      We have come a long way in our knowledge about autism and the education and treatments that best help children with autism spectrum disorders.  Nonetheless, there is still much work to be done.  You can make a difference by volunteering your time or resources to the South Carolina Autism Society.  You can join even if you don’t have a family member with autism, but want to help out in some way.  A financial contribution might cover the costs of printing materials or long distance telephone calls to support a family living in a remote part of our state.

      Membership Levels

      BASIC                     BENEFACTOR             SUPPORTING
      Individual ($10)     Individual ($75)         Individual ($35)
      Family ($20)           Family ($100)             Family ($50)

      FULL-TIME STUDENT ($10)

      divider2.gif

      Research Opportunities

      Autism Mothers

      Hello, my name is Julie Kellett, and I am a student working towards completion of my doctoral dissertation as part of my training in the Clinical-Community Psychology Program at the University of South Carolina.

      My dissertation research focuses on understanding the parenting experiences of mothers raising children diagnosed with autism spectrum disorders (ASDs). I am currently seeking participation from biological mothers of boys between the ages of 4 and 14 who have been diagnosed with an ASD for at least one year.

      Mothers participating in this study will be asked to complete a packet which includes six questionnaires. This study does not require any in-person appointment, interview, or any additional follow up contact. All the information provided by participants on study questionnaires will be kept completely confidential.

      If you are interested in participating in this study, or would like more information, please contact me at (864) 483-0649 or at kellettj@....

      Thank you in advance for your assistance with this project. I look forward to learning from you and your family!

      USC Research Study

      The Neurodevelopment Disabilities Research Project at USC has a newly funded study examining how language abilities impact the success of adolescents with autism after entering into adulthood. We are currently recruiting boys with autism who are aged 14-22 years old for the study. Please see our attached is our brochure.

      If you or someone you know may be interested in participating in this exciting research, please contact us by phone at (803) 777-5676, or email me at klusek@.... You can also find more information on our website: http://www.uscdevlab.com.

      divider2.gif

      Upcoming Workshops

      SC Autism Society Monthly Workshops
      in Conjunction with the South Carolina Department of Education at the SCAS Columbia Office

      May 22, 2012

      Free Literacy Supports and Study Aids – Free or low-cost literacy supports for students to
      use in the classroom and at home.

      4:30 – 6:30 p.m.

      South Carolina Department of Education Regional Autism Workshops

      Region

      Location

      Workshop Title

      Description

      Date/Time

      Upstate - Greenville

      TBD

      Communication
      Strategies

      Various strategies used to facilitate communication for children with ASD.

      May 29, 2013
      4:30 – 6:30

      Register by calling Delilah at (803) 750 6988 ext 108 or emailing iandr@...

      spacer.gif

      divider2.gif

      Event & Activity Calendar

      April 27

      Silent Auction & Fundraiser in Union

      May 1

      Coffee Talk Parent Support

      May 4

      Strides for Autism Midlands

      May 5

      YMCA Spectrum Sunday in Simpsonville

      July 27

      Braylon Poker Run in Greenville

      October 12

      Annual Meeting & Conference

      blurb

      South Carolina Autism Society
      806 12th Street, West Columbia, SC  29169
      803-750-6988
      www.scautism.org

      scas@...

      Click to view this email in a browser

      South Carolina Autism Society
      806 12th Street
      West Columbia, SC 29169
      US

      Try Email Marketing with VerticalResponse!