March Update - SC Autism Society

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 28, 2013
      March Update - SC Autism Society

      March 2013

      divider2.gif

      scaslogo_SMALL 2

      The Update
      PDF format, click here

      divider2.gif

      palmettopuzzle40yrs

      Message from the Interim Director

      We are just a few days away from the beginning of World Autism Awareness Day and Autism Awareness Month.  This is a great time to get involved in autism-related activities, as well as to spread autism awareness in your local community.

      This month, our newsletter contains numerous events and activities going on across South Carolina to recognize Autism Awareness Month.  I encourage you to participate in our Strides for Autism events in the Upstate and Midlands, to be held on April 13th and May 4th, respectively.

      As we hear of additional events, we will post them on our website and/or send them through our email lists.  You can subscribe to our Announcements-only email list by sending an email to SCASAnnouncements-subscribe@yahoogroups.com.

      Recently, the State House of Representatives passed its budget, and it looks very good for people with disabilities.  Please take a moment to join me in thanking the members of the House for their support of our families.

      We appreciate your ongoing commitment to supporting the mission of the South Carolina Autism Society – to ensure that all individuals with autism spectrum disorders can meet their maximum potential.  Remember, together, we can solve the puzzle.

      Kim Thomas
      Interim Director

      spacer.gif

      divider2.gif

      strideslogo

      Strides for Autism

      Mark your calendars for the first two Strides for Autism events of 2013!

      Upstate -- Saturday, April 13, Heritage Park, Simpsonville
      Midlands -- Saturday, May 4, Riverwalk Amphitheater, West Columbia

      Strides for Autism is SCAS’s signature fund-raising and awareness walk.  They include a fun-walk, resource fair, and family-fun activities.  The goals of our Strides for Autism events are:

      • To raise the awareness of autism spectrum disorders.
      • To raise funds for the South Carolina Autism Society.

      SCAS is the only statewide agency advocating for children and adults with autism spectrum disorders and their families, while also providing assistance and resources.  SCAS promotes, educates and raises awareness that one in every 88 births in the U.S. is a child with autism, and provides support for South Carolina-based research and development.  Most importantly, SCAS works to ensure that the 50,000+ individuals with an autism spectrum disorder (ASD) living in South Carolina have opportunities to achieve a quality of life comparable to their peers.

      Registration

      Participants in the event can register as an individual, family, or team.  Contact your family and friends and ask them to sponsor you!  There is no minimum donation, but individual registrations of at least $25 will receive an event t-shirt, and family registrations of at least $50 will receive 4 event t-shirts.  T-shirts are distributed at Strides events only.  (Previous participants will need to create new accounts and teams each year.)

      Monies raised for South Carolina Autism Society stay in South Carolina and go towards family supports, education, advocacy, and South Carolina-based research.

      Corporate Sponsorships & Resource Fair

      Corporate Sponsorships opportunities are available, as are spaces at the Resource Fair.  For more information, visit https://scautism.org/strides/sponsorships/

      Thank you to our Current Sponsors!

      bcbssc_wTag_hor_7462   anchorsign_logo   cccbiNEW
      simpsonvilletreelogo   attpioneers2   indexx_logo

      Registration and other information for Strides for Autism, along with information about autism and SCAS, is available at the event Web site, www.scautism.org/strides/, or by calling the Columbia SCAS office at 1-800-438-4790.

      spacer.gif

      divider2.gif

      Rethinking Autism Conference

      On April 24, 2013, we are proud to announce the launch of the conference "Rethinking Autism" in Greenville, South Carolina.  This state-of-the art day-long conference includes sessions that will guide attendees to explore new and positive ways of living and working with autism and appreciating neurodiversity.

      This Conference is Sponsored by Youth Advocate Programs, Inc. in partnership with Spring Brook Behavioral Health System, South Carolina State University, Children's Hospital at Greenville Hospital System, and  the South Carolina Autism Society

      When:
      Wednesday April 24, 2013
      9:00 AM to 4:00 PM EDT

      Where:
      Crowne Plaza Greenville Hotel
      851 Congaree Road
      Greenville, SC 29607

      Click here for more information.

      spacer.gif

      divider2.gif

      Coffee Talk Parent Support

      Join us on the first Wednesday of each month for Coffee Talk!  These parent support groups are held at each of the SCAS offices statewide.  Contact your local SCAS office for more information.

      Please note that this is a parent and caregiver support format.
      Businesses, organizations, and providers are welcome to send or drop materials for us to
      distribute.  Thank you for respecting the needs of our families!

      coffee

      spacer.gif

      divider2.gif

      Upcoming Events

      2013PokerRun

      Family Connection to hold Autism Awareness Day events statewide!

      The sixth annual World Autism Awareness Day is April 2, 2013.
      Family Connection is hosting several Autism Awareness Day events across the state and we invite you to join one in your area!

      Click here for a list of Family Connection Autism Awareness Day events!

      AutismCommunityForum

      Autism in the Family: Caring and Coping Together
      Keynote: Dr. Robert Naseef

      SC State Museum
      301 Gervais Street
      Columbia, MD 29201
      Tuesday, April 23, 2013 from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM

      Dr. Naseef will join representatives from Richland Two School District, Ben Lippen School, an area pediatrician and a representative from the SC Autism Society to discuss resources, programs and services available to families in South Carolina.

      Visit http://parentperspective-eorg.eventbrite.com/ for information and registration.

      autismgala

      spacer.gif

      divider2.gif

      Fundraisers & Fun Stuff!

      initialsPurchase items from Initials, inc. during the month of April, and Melony Davis will donate 50% of the proceeds to the South Carolina Autism Society!  Visit www.myinitials-inc.com/melonydavis to shop online!

      edventure

      Visit EdVenture Children’s Museum in Columbia!  The South Carolina Autism Society has three special family passes available for families affected by autism to check out at no cost!  Contact Sarah or Lauren at the Columbia office to reserve a pass!  You can reach them at 803-750-6988.

      glam

      spacer.gif

      divider2.gif

      Coffee Talk Parent Support

      Join us on the first Wednesday of each month for Coffee Talk!  These parent support groups are held at each of the SCAS offices statewide.  Contact your local SCAS office for more information.

      Please note that this is a parent and caregiver support format.
      Businesses, organizations, and providers are welcome to send or drop materials for us to
      distribute.  Thank you for respecting the needs of our families!

      coffee

      divider2.gif

      Memberships

      We have come a long way in our knowledge about autism and the education and treatments that best help children with autism spectrum disorders.  Nonetheless, there is still much work to be done.  You can make a difference by volunteering your time or resources to the South Carolina Autism Society.  You can join even if you don’t have a family member with autism, but want to help out in some way.  A financial contribution might cover the costs of printing materials or long distance telephone calls to support a family living in a remote part of our state.

      Membership Levels

      BASIC                     BENEFACTOR             SUPPORTING
      Individual ($10)     Individual ($75)         Individual ($35)
      Family ($20)           Family ($100)             Family ($50)

      FULL-TIME STUDENT ($10)

      divider2.gif

      liub

      Many businesses will “light it up blue” for Autism during the month of April, including the Midlands and Upstate offices of the South Carolina Autism Society.  Please visit participating businesses and thank them for their support!

      Thank you also to Derrick Howle of Greenville and Rob Scharsteim of Charleston for all their work on Light it up Blue!

      Click here to view a list of Light It Up Blue participants!

      divider2.gif

      Research Opportunities

      Opportunities are available to participate in two separate research studies:
      1.  Autism Mothers
      2.  Bullying and ASD

      Click here for additional information on these studies.

      divider2.gif

      Upcoming Workshops

      SC Autism Society Monthly Workshops
      in Conjunction with the South Carolina Department of Education at the SCAS Columbia Office

      April 24, 2013

      Strategies for Working with Student with Autism Spectrum Disorder – Various Strategies that will help students with academic, organizational, and social skills.

      4:30 – 6:30 p.m.

      May 22, 2012

      Free Literacy Supports and Study Aids – Free or low-cost literacy supports for students to
      use in the classroom and at home.

      4:30 – 6:30 p.m.

      South Carolina Department of Education Regional Autism Workshops

      Region

      Location

      Workshop Title

      Description

      Date/Time

      Upstate – Rock Hill

      TBD

      Communication
      Strategies

      Various strategies used to facilitate communication for children with ASD.

      April 17, 2013
      4:30 – 6:30

      Upstate - Greenville

      TBD

      Communication
      Strategies

      Various strategies used to facilitate communication for children with ASD.

      May 29, 2013
      4:30 – 6:30

      Register by calling Delilah at (803) 750 6988 ext 108 or emailing iandr@...

      spacer.gif

      divider2.gif

      Event & Activity Calendar

      April 2

      World Autism Awareness Day

      April 3

      Coffee Talk parent Support

      April 6

      Poker Run

      April 11

      Autism Community Forum

      April 13

      Strides for Autism Upstate

      April 13

      Autism Awareness Gala

      April 23

      Rethinking Autism Conference

      April 23

      Palmetto Parent Forum

      May 4

      Strides for Autism Midlands

      blurb

      South Carolina Autism Society
      806 12th Street, West Columbia, SC  29169
      803-750-6988
      www.scautism.org

      scas@...

      Click to view this email in a browser

      South Carolina Autism Society
      806 12th Street
      West Columbia, SC 29169
      US

      Try Email Marketing with VerticalResponse!