UPSTATE: March SCAS Coffee Talk CANCELLED

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28 5:44 AM

      Good morning.

      You have probably already read that the South Carolina House Ways and Means Committee has recommended cutting the Department of Disability and Special Needs State funding by $47 Million for 2010-2011. In total, this would be a $157 Million cut to the agency when you add in the Federal Medicaid matching funds.  If this goes through, it will result in significant cuts in services to those with autism, including eliminating the PDD-Waiver.

      Because of this, we have decided to cancel the Coffee Talk in the Greenville Office that was scheduled for this coming Wednesday morning.  Instead, we encourage you to travel to Columbia and participate in Disability Advocacy Day.  This is a great opportunity to meet with your elected officials and let them know how these cuts will affect your family.  For more information on Disability Advocacy Day, please visit http://www.familyconnectionsc.org/news/?id=40

      If you are not able to go to Columbia , we encourage you to call or write your state Senator and Representative.  If you don’t know who that is, you can look it up at http://www.scstatehouse.gov/cgi-bin/zipcodesearch.exe.

      For those of you in the Upstate who cannot get to Columbia and want a letter hand-delivered, I will do my best to do it for you.  You can either email me your letter (it’s best if it still has a signature on it!), or drop it by the SCAS Greenville office BEFORE 12 NOON TUESDAY.  I will do my best to deliver them in Columbia on Wednesday.

      Thank you for what you do every day to make life better for our kids with autism.

      Susan Leiby

      Special Events Coordinator