January Update - SC Autism Society

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 21, 2013
      January Update - SC Autism Society

      January 2013

      divider2.gif

      scaslogo_SMALL 2

      The Update
      PDF format, click here

      divider2.gif

      palmettopuzzle40yrs

      Message from the President

      Some changes are occurring that will impact every individual who receives service coordination. These changes have been talked about for a long time, though, rarely have they been talked about using service coordination, rather, it has been called Targeted Case Management or TCM.

      Many state agencies offer some version of TCM. In the DDSN system, this has been called Service Coordination.  For years, service coordination has been considered to be much broader than how it is currently being defined. This broader definition was always agreed upon by DDSN and the state’s Medicaid agency, Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS). However, that has now changed.

      DHHS has moved to the position that TCM is TCM regardless as the population receiving TCM (meaning TCM for a person with a disability is no different than TCM for an elderly person or a child in the Juvenile Corrections Facility). They are currently of the opinion that no population should be treated differently. And with this has come the decision that only four core services will be billable:

      1. Planning
      2. Assessment
      3. Monitoring
      4. Referral and Linkage

      Other states that have gone down this path, such as Georgia, have added a service in addition to go along with service coordination which has been called care coordination. If South Carolina does not add such a service, service coordinators will become much more limited in what they can do for families.  If it does not meet one of the four core services, it will not be a billable activity – thus not really allowing the service coordinator to help in these areas.  Examples of what service coordinators do currently that does not fall into the core services would be: Attending IEP meetings, assisting in TEFRA application process, visiting potential placements with the family and so on.

      Additionally, without either keeping the service coordination as it currently is or adding something like the care coordination, we are going to see caseloads increase tremendously. Because of the phase-in to the new system, we have just seen caseloads go from 40 to 45 but as we move forward and this is fully implemented we will be looking at caseloads of 100 to 110.

      Many will argue that this is just a financial issue. Providers are concerned that they are going to lose money. But it is a MUCH greater issue for families and their loved ones with disabilities.  If we go to 110 cases per service coordinator, clients and their families will hear very often, “sorry we don't do that.”

      I am sure in the coming months you will hear more about this issue. It makes a significant difference to the quality of care service coordinators will be able to offer their families. As we go forward and as new changes occur, I will do my best to keep you informed.

      The state’s Department of Health and Human Services needs to hear from you, the families affected by these changes, and how it will impact your loved one and your family.  You can find their contact information at http://scdhhs.gov.  In addition please share your concerns with your elected officials at Disability Advocacy Day.

      Thanks,
      Craig Stoxen
      President & CEO

      spacer.gif

      divider2.gif

      Disability Advocacy Day

      YOU can make a difference. Let your voice be heard by attending Disability Advocacy Day (DAD).

      Individuals in South Carolina with disabilities, their family members and service providers will meet with legislators at the state house where self advocates will speak about current disability issues that are of great concern to them. They will gather to see the S.C. General Assembly at work and personally urge their representatives and senators to take whatever measures are necessary to continue essential services for children and adults with disabilities.

      What's new this year?

      We will have a DAD Walk from the back of the state house by the Strom Thurmond statue (south side) to the front steps of the state house (north side) where we will have thousands of shoes displayed - each pair will represent someone who is not receiving the services needed to lead a happy, safe and healthy life. The walk is scheduled from 9:15-9:45 a.m. with a press conference to follow from 9:45-10 a.m. Times may change depending on when legislators go into session.

      The press conference will emphasize our 2013 priorities:
      · Maintain current essential services.
      · Emphasize the need for services NOW, not long waiting lists.
      · Continue critical services provided by DDSN to individuals with disabilities and their families.

      Steps to take in JANUARY:

      · Make an appointment with your legislators to discuss this year's top priorities.
      · Ask your legislator to come out and walk with you on Disability Advocacy Day.
      · Encourage local group homes and assisted living communities to bring their residents to DAD.
      · Donate your used shoes to show legislators that people are not just numbers.  Contact Margie Williamson at Margie@... or (803)431-5405.

      For more information on the self advocate rally or if you are interested in speaking, contact Deona Lindholm at deonal@... or  (864)450.0607

      To find out who your legislators are, visit www.sc.gov or call the voter registration office in your county.

      spacer.gif

      divider2.gif

      strideslogo

      Strides for Autism

      Mark your calendars for the first two Strides for Autism events of 2013!

      Upstate -- Saturday, April 13, Heritage Park, Simpsonville
      Midlands -- Saturday, May 4, Riverwalk Amphitheater, West Columbia

      Strides for Autism is SCAS’s signature fund-raising and awareness walk.  They include a fun-walk, resource fair, and family-fun activities.  The goals of our Strides for Autism events are:

      • To raise the awareness of autism spectrum disorders.
      • To raise funds for the South Carolina Autism Society.

      SCAS is the only statewide agency advocating for children and adults with autism spectrum disorders and their families, while also providing assistance and resources.  SCAS promotes, educates and raises awareness that one in every 88 births in the U.S. is a child with autism, and provides support for South Carolina-based research and development.  Most importantly, SCAS works to ensure that the 50,000+ individuals with an autism spectrum disorder (ASD) living in South Carolina have opportunities to achieve a quality of life comparable to their peers.

      Registration

      Participants in the event can register as an individual, family, or team.  Contact your family and friends and ask them to sponsor you!  There is no minimum donation, but individual registrations of at least $25 will receive an event t-shirt, and family registrations of at least $50 will receive 4 event t-shirts.  T-shirts are distributed at Strides events only.  (Previous participants will need to create new accounts and teams each year.)

      Monies raised for South Carolina Autism Society stay in South Carolina and go towards family supports, education, advocacy, and South Carolina-based research.

      Corporate Sponsorships & Resource Fair

      Corporate Sponsorships opportunities are available, as are spaces at the Resource Fair.  For more information, visit https://scautism.org/strides/sponsorships/

      Registration and other information for Strides for Autism, along with information about autism and SCAS, is available at the event Web site, www.scautism.org/strides/, or by calling the Columbia SCAS office at 1-800-438-4790.

      spacer.gif

      divider2.gif

      autism-heart

      YMCA Spectrum Ball

      Fathers, take your daughters by the hand, and mothers, guide your sons to the dance floor.  The 2013 Spectrum Ball is a night of dancing and celebration for families living with someone on the Autism spectrum.  It's a fun, safe, and sensory-appropriate dance.

      What
      2013 Spectrum Ball

      When
      Saturday, February 23, 6:30 - 9:00 pm

      Where
      The YMCA Adams Mill Program Center Gym/Ballroom
      100 Adams Mill Road, Simpsonville

      For more information and online registration, click here.

      spacer.gif

      divider2.gif

      Coffee Talk Parent Support

      Join us on the first Wednesday of each month for Coffee Talk!  These parent support groups are held at each of the SCAS offices statewide.  Contact your local SCAS office for more information.

      Please note that this is a parent and caregiver support format.
      Businesses, organizations, and providers are welcome to send or drop materials for us to distribute.  Thank you for respecting the needs of our families!

       Children are welcome, but no childcare is provided.

      coffee

      spacer.gif

      divider2.gif

      Upcoming Events

      Stay tuned for information on the following Upcoming Events!

      SC Autism Society Poker Run — April 6

      Respite Event — Spring TBA

      Family Fun Bowling Event — Spring TBA

      divider2.gif

      4th Quarter Donors

      Thank you to the individuals, organizations, and businesses that supported the mission of the South Carolina Autism Society during the 4th Quarter of 2012.  To make an online donation, visit http://www.scautism.org and click on the Donate button.  To donate by check, mail your donation to SCAS at 806 12th Street, West Columbia, SC  29169.

      Click here to view our 4th Quarter Donors

      Memberships

      We have come a long way in our knowledge about autism and the education and treatments that best help children with autism spectrum disorders.  Nonetheless, there is still much work to be done.  You can make a difference by volunteering your time or resources to the South Carolina Autism Society.  You can join even if you don’t have a family member with autism, but want to help out in some way.  A financial contribution might cover the costs of printing materials or long distance telephone calls to support a family living in a remote part of our state.

      Membership Levels

      BASIC                     BENEFACTOR             SUPPORTING
      Individual ($10)     Individual ($75)         Individual ($35)
      Family ($20)           Family ($100)             Family ($50)

      FULL-TIME STUDENT ($10)

      Click here to view our 4th Quarter New/Renewing Members

      divider2.gif

      Research Opportunities

      Autism Mothers

      Hello, my name is Julie Kellett, and I am a student working towards completion of my doctoral dissertation as part of my training in the Clinical-Community Psychology Program at the University of South Carolina.

      My dissertation research focuses on understanding the parenting experiences of mothers raising children diagnosed with autism spectrum disorders (ASDs). I am currently seeking participation from biological mothers of boys between the ages of 4 and 14 who have been diagnosed with an ASD for at least one year.

      Mothers participating in this study will be asked to complete a packet which includes six questionnaires. This study does not require any in-person appointment, interview, or any additional follow up contact. All the information provided by participants on study questionnaires will be kept completely confidential.

      If you are interested in participating in this study, or would like more information, please contact me at (864) 483-0649 or at kellettj@....

      Thank you in advance for your assistance with this project. I look forward to learning from you and your family!

      Julie Kellett

      Bullying & ASDs

      My name is Kirsten Scheil, and I’m a senior at Furman University conducting my senior thesis on bullying experiences among youth with autism spectrum disorders.
      After learning that very little research exists in the literature on this topic, I became eager to conduct a study that would allow both children with ASD and their parents to discuss this issue. I’m hoping that this research will help spread the word about bullying that individuals with ASD may experience both in and out of school.

      To do so, I’m aiming to bring males with Asperger’s Syndrome/High-functioning ASD (ages 10-16) and one parent onto Furman’s campus to participate in my study. The study involves a one-time visit to Furman, and families will have a chance to win a $50 cash prize by participating. All sessions are scheduled at the family’s convenience whether that may be on weekends, weekdays, early mornings, or in the evenings.

      For more information about the study or to participate, please send me an email at kirsten.scheil@... or call me at 828-228-1176. Please feel free to pass along this information to anyone who you believe may be interested in participating. I look forward to the opportunity to learn from you and your children!

      divider2.gif

      Upcoming Workshops

      SC Autism Society Monthly Workshops
      in Conjunction with the South Carolina Department of Education at the SCAS Columbia Office

      January 23, 2013

      Autism 101***

      5:30 – 7:30 p.m.

      February 20, 2013

      Sensory Integration – How to Help your Child with Sensory Processing Disorder.

      4:30 – 6:30 p.m.

      April 24, 2013

      Strategies for Working with Student with Autism Spectrum Disorder – Various Strategies that will help students with academic, organizational, and social skills.

      4:30 – 6:30 p.m.

      May 22, 2012

      Free Literacy Supports and Study Aids – Free or low-cost literacy supports for students to
      use in the classroom and at home.

      4:30 – 6:30 p.m.

      South Carolina Department of Education Regional Autism Workshops

      Region

      Location

      Workshop Title

      Description

      Date/Time

      Coastal – Myrtle Beach

      TBD

      Communication
      Strategies

      Various strategies used to facilitate communication for children with ASD.

      February 27, 2013
      4:30 – 6:30

      Pee-Dee – Florence

      520 Francis Marion Rd, Florence, SC 29506

      Communication
      Strategies

      Various strategies used to facilitate communication for children with ASD.

      March 27, 2013
      4:30 – 6:30

      Upstate – Rock Hill

      TBD

      Communication
      Strategies

      Various strategies used to facilitate communication for children with ASD.

      April 17, 2013
      4:30 – 6:30

      Upstate - Greenville

      TBD

      Communication
      Strategies

      Various strategies used to facilitate communication for children with ASD.

      May 29, 2013
      4:30 – 6:30

      Register by calling Delilah at (803) 750 6988 ext 108 or emailing iandr@...

      spacer.gif

      divider2.gif

      Event & Activity Calendar

      February 6

      Coffee Talk Parent Support

      February 23

      YMCA of Greenville Spectrum Ball

      March 6

      Disability Advocacy Day

      April 6

      Poker Run

      April 13

      Strides for Autism Upstate

      May 4

      Strides for Autism Midlands

      blurb

      South Carolina Autism Society
      806 12th Street, West Columbia, SC  29169
      803-750-6988
      www.scautism.org

      scas@...

      Click to view this email in a browser

      South Carolina Autism Society
      806 12th Street
      West Columbia, SC 29169
      US

      Try Email Marketing with VerticalResponse!