October Update - SC Autism Society

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30 10:39 AM
      October Update - SC Autism Society

      October 2012

      scaslogo_SMALL 2

      The Update
      PDF format, click here

      Message from the President

      I normally do not spend a lot of time talking about our conference speakers after they have presented, but this year I am making an exception.

      I have been working on SCAS conferences for 16 years now. And this year’s speakers, in my opinion exceeded any other years.  I don’t know if it was the three individuals themselves or the combination, but this year’s conference will be tough to top.

      Stephen was absolutely terrific. He provided such great information and was able to include the personal live experience to the topic. He was also so amazing to take so much time to talk with individuals, dealing with some very personal issues. Stephen provided great insight and ideas. I am not sure why I have not brought him in in the past, but we will definitely have him back again.

      I am not even sure if I can express my experience with Tracy and Larry. They were simply amazing. I have seen the movie, Wretches and Jabbers multiple times and every time I see it I am just so impressed and amazed by these two incredible guys. By the way, if you have not seen it, it is now available on demand on Netflix.

      So many people would very readily write these guys off as to not having much to offer. But boy are they wrong. It was amazing to get to know Larry and Tracy and to see them present.  They were asked some though and deep questions and all were answered in depth and with a great sense of humor.

      The conference I think was so unique in that Stephen holds a Ph.D. and lectures for a living, his ability to communicate is vital to his career. But then we saw Tracy and Larry whose need to communicate was truly ignored for many years and now through the use of technology, they can be heard loud and clear.

      These three guys shared their journey with us and I even several weeks later, as I sit here thinking about their presentations, I am in awe of these guys. As I said in the beginning of this article, this year’s conference will be difficult to top.

      Craig Stoxen
      President & CEO

      Become a Member!

      We have come a long way in our knowledge about autism and the education and treatments that best help children with autism spectrum disorders.  Nonetheless, there is still much work to be done.

      You can make a difference by volunteering your time or resources to the South Carolina Autism Society.  You can join even if you don’t have a family member with autism, but want to help out in some way.

      A financial contribution might cover the costs of printing materials or long distance telephone calls to support a family living in a remote part of our state.

      Membership Levels

      BASIC                         BENEFACTOR         SUPPORTING
      Individual ($10)
              Individual ($75)     Individual ($35)
      Family ($20)
              Family ($100)         Family ($50)

       Visit http://www.scautism.org to become a member now!

      Thanksgiving Turkey Drive

      Since 2008, The LUCAS Network has initiated and partnered with The SC Autism Society and a number of other autism organizations to provide families having a child with autism or other disability in need with a Thanksgiving dinner. Last year we were been able to provide over 125 families a Thanksgiving Day meal. That makes close to 400 families in need that have been provided a Thanksgiving Day meal since 2008.

      Our goal this year is to match last year’s number of 125 families in the Upstate but if we go over, we want to help more families in the Midlands, Lowcountry and Myrtle Beach areas as well. So, please donate today! Your donation is tax deductible.

      To make a donation now, visit the SC Autism Society’s website, and click on the Donate button.  In the In Honor Of, In Memory of or Comment section, just write TURKEY and the donation will go directly towards the Turkey Drive.

      If you are interested in receiving a meal, please contact your Service Coordinator.
      For more information, email luluhowle@...

      Coffee Talk Parent Support

      Join us on the first Wednesday of each month for Coffee Talk!  These parent support groups are held at each of the SCAS offices statewide.  Contact your local SCAS office for more information.

      Please note that this is a parent and caregiver support format.
      Businesses, organizations, and providers are welcome to send or drop materials for us to distribute.  Thank you for respecting the needs of our families!

       Children are welcome, but no childcare is provided.

      3rd Quarter Donors

      Thank you to the following individuals, organizations, and businesses that supported the mission of the South Carolina Autism Society during the 3rd Quarter of 2012.  To make an online donation, visit http://www.scautism.org and click on the Donate button.  To donate by check, mail your donation to SCAS at 806 12th Street, West Columbia, SC  29169.

      Mr. & Mrs. John Oxenfield, in memory of Richard Dean Hedrick
      Mr. & Mrs. Clyde Buckner, in memory of Richard Dean Hedrick
      Mr. & Mrs. John Connor, in memory of Richard Dean Hedrick
      Mr. & Mrs. Kenneth Davis, in memory of Richard Dean Hedrick
      Mr. & Mrs. Kenneth Davis, in memory of Richard Dean Hedrick
      Mr. & Mrs. Earl MdIlwean, Jr., in memory of Richard Dean Hedrick
      Mr. & Mrs. Don Waggoner, Don and Zelma Waggoner Foundation
      Mr. & Mrs. Stephen Strishock, in memory of James Marnati
      RH Strishock, in memory of James Marnati
      Mindy & Henry Miller
      Kevin Wilson
      Mr. Steve Doudoukjian, Dutch Fork Civitan Club
      Acts Outreach Ministry, Braylon Poker Run '12

      3rd Quarter Members

      Amanda Hollingsworth
      Tia Holtzclaw
      Sybil Keisler
      Sharon Lord
      Susie Phillips
      James Sanford
      Katie Turman

      New — Supporting

      GiGi Garzon
      Angel Yaklin
      Marcel Bagley
      Irene Wehle

      Roxana Pourdeyhimi

      Wayne Bauerle
      Andrea Forringer
      Premal Parikh
      Joseph E. Park

      Design a T-shirt Contest!

      Here is your chance to create the artwork for the 2013 Strides for Autism T-shirt and Poster!  We invite residents of South Carolina with ASDs to submit your design!
      The winner will not only have their design appear on our t-shirt and poster, but they will serve as co-Honorary Chair at their Strides for Autism walk-of-choice, and receive a framed version of their t-shirt!

      · Size:  8x10 (or approximate)
      · Black & white or color
      · Any flat medium is acceptable, including graphical design
      · Works should either have the SCAS logo, or provide space for the logo
      · Include Strides for Autism
      · Original works only

      Any artist signatures should be first-name only to protect confidentiality

      Artist Qualifications:

      · Must have an autism spectrum disorder
      · Must live in South Carolina
      · All ages welcome

      Artists do NOT need to be SCAS clients

      Submission Guidelines:

      Submit via mail, or via email to Strides@...
      o Address: Susan Leiby South Carolina Autism Society 5 Century Drive, Suite 132 Greenville, SC  29607
      o Submissions can not be returned.
      o All submissions will be used to decorate SCAS offices

      Artist's name and contact info should be on the BACK of the submission.

      All submissions must be received by January 1st.

      Good luck to all artists!

      IMG_0249 (3)

      Autism Awareness License Plate

      The South Carolina Autism Society is preparing to file a petition to the SC Department of Motor Vehicles for an autism awareness license plate.licenseplatetree

      In order to file the paperwork, we need a minimum of 400 individuals who are willing to sign up and pay the approximately $75 for the license plate. Below is the proposed license plate designs. Note that they have not been approved by the DMV.
      If you would be interested in our autism awareness license plate, please visit scautism.org to submit your contact information.

      We are not asking for any money at this time. When we reach the required number of individuals, we will contact everyone with additional instructions.

      If you have any questions, please contact us at 803-750-6988 or scas@....

      Thank you.

      Event & Activity Calendar

      November 7

      Coffee Talk Parent Support

      November 11

      YMCA of Greenville Spectrum Sunday

      December 5

      Coffee Talk Parent Support

      December 9

      YMCA of Greenville Spectrum Holiday Party

      March 6

      Disability Advocacy Day

      April 13

      Strides for Autism Upstate (tentative date)

      April 27

      Strides for Autism Midlands (tentative date)

      South Carolina Autism Society
      806 12th Street, West Columbia, SC  29169

      Click to view this email in a browser

      806 12th Street
      West Columbia, SC 29169

      Try Email Marketing with VerticalResponse!