SC Autism Society's ANNUAL CONFERENCE! This Saturday!

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 16, 2012
      SC Autism Society's ANNUAL CONFERENCE!

      Please join us!  And please share with your families!  Thank you!

      scaslogo_SMALL 2

      2012 Annual Conference

      Message from the President

      As you can imagine, putting on an annual conference can be quite the chore. The issue that I worry most about is the keynote speakers.  I fear if they will be well known enough to raise the interest in the conference. Will the speakers have a broad enough appeal to represent the whole spectrum?

      It is not always easy to find, schedule and afford good speakers. But we do our best and often try to bring in speakers that have been recommended by families.

      This year, I am personally very excited about our lineup of keynote speakers. You can find their professional bio in this newsletter. But I thought I would share a little from my perspective.

      First, let me say upfront that I have known Stephen Shore for a long time. I have seen him present many times at other conferences and I am confident that he will bring a wealth of knowledge and experience that will be extremely helpful. Stephen has traveled the world speaking on his experience in living on the spectrum. Not only is Stephen a self-advocate, he is also a great advocate for all those with ASD. He has served on many boards and most notable, he has been a member of the federal Interagency Autism Coordinating Committee.

      I am also very excited to have Larry and Tracy here from the documentary Wretches and Jabbers. These are two guys who many would have said that they are very limited as to what they can do. I am sure most people they have encountered throughout their lives would have immediately had very low expectations for them. But these two guys are determined to achieve much more in life. And they will be at out conference on the 20th to talk about their advocacy efforts and how that has taken them around the world.

      I think this is a great lineup. I think this is the first time that we will be having keynotes that spans across the spectrum to this degree. I hope you will join us and experience this for yourselves. We have worked hard to keep the cost as low as possible and we still have some parent scholarships available.

      See you on the 20th.
      Craig Stoxen
      President & CEO
      South Carolina Autism Society

      Annual Meeting & Conference

      Saturday, October 20
      Columbia Conference Center
      Columbia, SC

      For a printed brochure and registration by mail, click here.
      To reserve a space in the Resource Fair, click here.
      To submit an award nomination, click here.

      Limited Parent Scholarships are available.
      Click here to apply online.

      For more information and online registration, click here.

      Visit our Resource Fair, Bookstore and Silent Auction.

      Conference Prices

      SCAS Members

      NON Members

      Family Member/Full-Time Student/Ind w/ASD

      Two Family Members

      2 or more Professionals of same group/each

      About Our Presenters

      Diagnosed with "Atypical Development with strong autistic tendencies", Dr. Stephen Shore was viewed as "too sick" to be treated on an outpatient basis and recommended for institutionalization. Nonverbal until four, and with much help from his parents, teachers and others, Stephen completed his doctoral dissertation at Boston University focused on matching best practice to the needs of people on the autism spectrum. Recently, Dr. Shore has accepted a professorship at Adelphi University teaching courses in special education and autism.

      In addition to working with children and talking about life on the autism spectrum, Stephen presents and consults internationally on adult issues pertinent to education, relationships, employment, advocacy and disclosure as discussed in his books, "Beyond the Wall: Personal Experiences with Autism and Asperger Syndrome", "Ask and Tell: Self-Advocacy and Disclosure for People on the Autism Spectrum" and the critcally acclaimed "Understanding Autism for Dummies".

      President emeritus of the Asperger's Association of New England, Dr. Shore serves on the Interagency Coordinating Committee, for the Board of Directors for Autism Society of America, Unlocking Autism, MAAP, the College Internship Program and USAAA.

      Larry Bissonnette is an advocate and artist who lives in Milton, Vermont and has had his work exhibited regularly both locally and nationally. Larry is one of the featured artists of the GRACE (Grass Roots Art and Community Effort) project based in Hardwick, Vermont. In 1991, Larry learned to communicate through typing and began combining words with his art to express his thoughts and ideas. Over the past 15 years, he has been a featured presenter at many educational conferences and has written and spoken on the topics of autism, communication and art.

      Tracy Thresher is an advocate for people with disabilities. He lives and works in Vermont.  Tracy began typing to communicate in 1990 and was one of the first individuals with autism at Washington County Mental Health Services (a community-based service provider) to be introduced to it. He has presented at local, statewide, and national workshops and conferences. He has consulted with local schools, is a member of the Vermont Statewide Standing Committee and has worked for the Green Mountain Self-Advocates in Montpelier, Vermont. In Vermont, he mentors teenagers and adults. Most recently, Tracy has consulted at Syracuse University as a lead trainer.

      Conference Agenda

      9 - 9:15 am

      9:15 - 10:15

      Dr. Stephen Shore, Friendship, Dating and Deeper Relationships

      10:15 - 10:45

      Break (Bookstore & Silent Auction open)

      10:45 - 11:45

      Dr. Stephen Shore Conclusions & Questions

      11:45 - 12:45

      Lunch (provided)
      Annual Meeting & Awards
      *silent auction closes at 3:00

      12:45 - 2:45

      Larry Bissonnette and Tracy Thresher
      Movie Viewing - Wretches and Jabberers

      2:45 - 3:00

      Break (Silent Auction closes at 3pm - Bookstore is OPEN)

      3:00 - 4:00

      Q & A with Larry and Tracy

      4:00 pm

      Pick up Silent Auction items

      Dr. Stephen Shore

      Friendship, Dating and Deeper Relationships
      The author of Beyond the Wall: Personal Experiences with Autism and Asperger Syndrome; Ask and Tell: Self-Advocacy and Disclosure for People on the Autism Spectrum; and the critically acclaimed Understanding Autism for Dummies

      Larry Bissonnette and Tracy Thresher

      from the film Wretches and Jabberers
      Where two men with autism embark on a global quest to change prevailing attitudes about disability and intelligence.  This global buddy movie gives viewers an eye opening perspective on autism, done with compassion and humor.

      South Carolina Autism Society
      806 12th Street, West Columbia, SC  29169

      Click to view this email in a browser

      806 12th Street
      West Columbia, SC 29169

      Try Email Marketing with VerticalResponse!