LOWCOUNTRY: New Additions for Strides for Autism!!

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2012

           Register Now!

      https://scautism.org/strides

      NEW ADDITIONS FOR SATURDAY!!

      Resource Fair Participants!

      ·         Carolina Coast Behavioral Services, LLC

      ·         Children's Museum of the Lowcountry

      ·         Family Connection

      ·         Family Resource Center/Parent Training and Resource Center

      ·         Gossett Music Therapy

      ·         MUSC Project Rex

      ·         USC Children's Research Institute

      Spectrum Scouts Flag Ceremony!

      Do you have a Scout who is affected by Autism?  Announcing our “Spectrum Scouts” flag ceremony at Lowcountry Strides for Autism!

      Requirements:

      ·         Current or former scouts (male or female)

      ·         Uniforms encouraged, but not required

      ·         Arrive at Memorial Waterfront Park at 8:30 am for a short rehearsal

      Please email me ASAP at SusanL@... to sign up!

      Strides for Autism Lowcountry!

      Our fall Strides for Autism event in the Lowcountry is this Saturday!  Register now to be part of this wonderful event!

      Saturday, October 6, 2012
      Memorial Waterfront Park
      Mount Pleasant, SC

      Register online now at https://scautism.org/strides/.

      Start your own Team, and invite your friends, family and coworkers to support families affected by autism as you take Strides for Autism!

      Featuring!

      • Bounce House
      • Music by Keith Miller
      • Sample Music Therapy class by Gossett Music Therapy
      • Activities from the Children's Museum of the Lowcountry
      • Project Rex
      • Carolina Coast Behavioral Services
      • ABX Solutions
      • Family Resource Council
      • ...and more!

      Also enjoy

      • Pirate Booty gluten-free snack samples
      • Free Coke products

      Best of luck to all teams and individuals as we take Strides for Autism!  Remember…

      Together we can solve the puzzle!

      Register online now
      at
      https://scautism.org/strides

      October 6

      8 am registration
      9 am walk

      Memorial Waterfront Park
      Mt Pleasant

      Honorary Chair
      Dr. Frampton Gwynette
      MUSC & Project Rex

      Fun-Walk
      Family Activities
      Resource Fair

      About Strides for Autism:

      Strides for Autism is SCAS’s signature fund-raising and awareness walk.  The Lowcountry and Grand Strand events are the final of our four statewide walks that take place each year.  The walks are among various activities that benefit the organization and the families it serves.

      Why it is important to support the South Carolina Autism Society through Strides for Autism?

      According to Craig Stoxen, President & CEO of the South Carolina Autism Society, we have two goals with our Strides event.

      1.     To raise the awareness of autism spectrum disorders. With the occurrence rate of autism at 1 in 88, everyone is or will soon be affected in one way or another by autism. It may be a family member or it may be coworker’s child or a friend’s child. So the better understanding our society has, the better the quality of life for those on the spectrum will be.

      2.     To raise funds for the South Carolina Autism Society. This fundraiser is to help ensure SCAS can meet the needs of families through information and referral, trainings and workshops and advocacy.

      Where does that money go?

      Monies go to help support this mission of the South Carolina Autism Society, which is, “To enable all individuals with autism spectrum disorders to reach their maximum potential.”  According to the South Carolina Secretary of State’s website, almost 90% of all monies go directly towards Program Expenses, which means that almost $1,000,000 a year is going directly to help support those with autism in South Carolina.  All monies raised for the South Carolina Autism Society stay in South Carolina.

      What does the South Carolina Autism Society do?

      The South Carolina Autism Society is a 501(c) 3 nonprofit organization which has been assisting families for 40 years.  We provide the following programs:

      • Information and Referral:  Providing information to parents and professionals about autism and available services.
      • Advocacy:  SCAS provides advocacy on all levels from the individual level on up to the system change level.
      • Autism and Informed Response:  Training for emergency responders (law enforcement, EMS, fire fighters, etc) on autism, using parent volunteers.
      • Parent-School Partnership:  To assist children with autism in receiving the best education possible by helping to build relationships between the school and the parents.
      • Service Coordination:  Is an expansion of the society’s existing programs of information and referral and advocacy.  SCAS will provide service coordination to individuals with autism spectrum disorders.
      • Workshops and Conference:  Our 2012 speakers will be Larry Bissonnette and Tracy Thresher from the movie Wretches and Jabberers, and Dr. Stephen Shore
      • Special Projects, such as:
        • Key Indicators and Training (KAIT) Project
        • Autism Training Collaborative
        • Project MEANS (Meaningful Engagement Around the Needs of a Student)
        • All Are Welcome faith inclusion training
        • Guardianship & Advocating for Adults with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities project.

      Registration and other information for Strides for Autism, along with information about autism and SCAS, is available at the event Web site,  https://scautism.org/strides/

      For information on Sponsorships and spaces in our Resource Fair,
      visit
      https://scautism.org/strides/sponsorships/

      or email
      Strides@...

      Project Coordinator, Guardianship & Protection Grant

      Project Coordinator, All Are Welcome Grant