September Update - SC Autism Society

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 25, 2012
      September Update - SC Autism Society

      September 2012

      divider2.gif

      scaslogo_SMALL 2

      The Update
      PDF format, click here

      divider2.gif

      palmettopuzzle40yrs

      Message from the Vice President

      Did you know that the South Carolina Autism Society is the largest provider of case management for PDD Waiver and PDD State funded services in our state?

      The South Carolina Autism Society has been providing quality service coordination and case management for over 7 years.  SCAS provides service coordination to families in many counties across the state, however we accept PDD Waiver and PDD State cases from ALL counties within our state.

      At SCAS, we feel that PDD case management is a specialty and we pride ourselves in our knowledge of the PDD Waiver and PDD State services along with our advocacy efforts in working with families and their EIBI providers.

      Because of our knowledge and specialty, SCAS has become the largest case management agency of PDD Waiver and PDD State funded cases.

      All of the service coordinators at SCAS are trained in case management procedures for PDD services unlike many other service coordination providers who have one or two service coordinators trained in doing case management for PDD cases.

      Please feel free to share with your friends in other counties that SCAS provides case management statewide for children receiving PDD services.

      If you have questions or need additional information regarding service coordination and case management with the South Carolina Autism Society give Kim Thomas a call at 803-750-6988 ext. 101 or email at kim@...

      spacer.gif

      divider2.gif

      Strides for Autism

      Join us for Strides for Autism in the Lowcountry!

      Saturday, October 6
      Memorial Waterfront Park, Mount Pleasant
      8 am registration
      9 am walk

      fun-walk ~ resource fair ~ family fun activities

      Register online now at
      https://scautism.org/strides

      cta.jpg

      stridespic

      spacer.gif

      divider2.gif

      ajaward

      Congratulations Aj!

      Congratulations to Aj Dearybury, Parent School Partner for the South Carolina Autism Society for her recognition at the recent Upstate Autism Forum in Simsponville.  Aj was nominated for and received an Upstate Autism Hero award!  Families who have worked with Aj know how valuable she is to an IEP team.  But the parent who nominated her puts it best:

      She continues to be a monumental part of our IEP team for our sweet son. Without her I know that many things that should be included, would be left out, and topics to be addressed, ie, a parents thoughts and concerns, not addressed, or ignored. With her present, they know we are all a team, and all deserve our time to share our thoughts to prepare a plan that is appropriate for [our son’s] educational needs. When multiple changes are made for meetings to be held, she is always ready to work with it, so we can get it all done. She is always ready to share her thoughts and knowledge with us, as well as the rest of the team. Wonderful parent/mentor from the SC Autism Society, in Greenville, SC.

      spacer.gif

      divider2.gif

      Fall Golf Tournament

      Friday, October 26, 2012

      Modified "Shamble" Format
      Each team member hits a drive, the team picks the best one. From that point, each player plays his or her ball out and the best two scores of the team are recorded.  Pick up double bogeys.

      Cost:  $125/player & $500/foursome
      Fee includes:
      greens fee, cart, practice balls, dinner, refreshments, gift and beverages.

      Location
      The Members Club at Woodcreek
      301 Club Ridge Road,
      Elgin, SC 29045

      SCHEDULE
      12:00 pm Registration & Driving Range
      1:00 pm Tee Time (shotgun start)
      Live music, silent and live auction, and dinner provided. Spouse and/or guest welcome after the tournament for dinner and awards ceremony.

      Tickets online at scautism.org

      cta.jpg

      fallgolf

      spacer.gif

      divider2.gif

      Annual Meeting & Conference

      Saturday, October 20
      Columbia Conference Center
      Columbia, SC

      EDUCATORS ~ FAMILIES ~ SERVICE PROFESSIONALS

      Limited Parent Scholarships are available.

      For more information and online registration, visit scautism.org.

      Visit our Resource Fair, Bookstore and Silent Auction.

      Conference Prices

      SCAS Members

      NON Members

      Family Member/Full-Time Student/Ind w/ASD

      $75

      $100

      Two Family Members

      $110

      $140

      Professional

      $100

      $125

      2 or more Professionals of same group/each

      $90

      $115

       preview

      cta.jpg

      Wretches_and_Jabberers_photoFeaturing

      Dr. Stephen Shore

      Friendship, Dating and Deeper Relationships
      The author of Beyond the Wall: Personal Experiences with Autism and Asperger Syndrome; Ask and Tell: Self-Advocacy and Disclosure for People on the Autism Spectrum; and the critically acclaimed Understanding Autism for Dummies

      Larry Bissonnette and Tracy Thresher

      from the film Wretches and Jabberers
      Where two men with autism embark on a global quest to change prevailing attitudes about disability and intelligence.  This global buddy movie gives viewers an eye opening perspective on autism, done with compassion and humor.

      divider2.gif

      Design a T-shirt Contest!

      Here is your chance to create the artwork for the 2013 Strides for Autism T-shirt and Poster!  We invite residents of South Carolina with ASDs to submit your design!
      The winner will not only have their design appear on our t-shirt and poster, but they will serve as co-Honorary Chair at their Strides for Autism walk-of-choice, and receive a framed version of their t-shirt!

      cta.jpg

      IMG_0249 (3)

      divider2.gif

      News from MUSC

      Principal investigators Laura Carpenter, Ph.D., a clinical psychologist, and Lydia King, Ph.D., an epidemiologist in the Department of Pediatrics, Division of Developmental Pediatrics at the Medical University in Charleston, were awarded a three-year, $825,000 grant by Autism Speaks, to study the prevalence of autism spectrum disorders. The study has been named SUCCESS, South Carolina Children’s Educational Surveillance Study.

      Click Read More to view the entire article.

      cta.jpg

      spacer.gif

      divider2.gif

      calendar
      blurb

      South Carolina Autism Society
      806 12th Street, West Columbia, SC  29169
      803-750-6988
      www.scautism.org

      Click to view this email in a browser

      806 12th Street
      West Columbia, SC 29169
      US

      Try Email Marketing with VerticalResponse!