SC Autism Society's August 2012 Newsletter

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 22, 2012
      Rich text editor, html_content_graphical, press ALT 0 for help.

       In this IssueIn this Issue:

      President's Message
      The Bully Movie
      TEDx Greenville Salon
      Strides for Autism
      Fall Golf Tournament
      Cub Scout Thanks
      Silent Auction
      Annual Conference
      Upstate Autism Forum
      Research Opportunities
      Free Workshops
      Event Calendar
      Become a Member

      To view as a PDF
      Click Here

      Do you believe in someone with autism? Then you believe in the South Carolina Autism Society and its mission. How can we meet such a big mission? With support from you and others like you. We can't improve the lives of people with autism spectrum disorders without ongoing support. Your support allows us to continue what we've begun, find new ways to help, better serve the families who speak for loved ones, and come closer to solving the many puzzles of ASD. If you believe in someone who has an autism spectrum disorder, then you believe in the Autism Society's mission.

      Main Office

        806 12th Street
      West Columbia , SC
      803-750-6988 Office
      803-750-8121 Fax

       Satellite Offices

      4 Carriage Lane
      Suite 302
      Charleston, SC   29407
      843-870-1650 Office/Fax

      PO Box 30425
      3242 Holmestown Road
      Unit B
      Myrtle Beach , SC 29588
      843-650-0129 Office/Fax

      5 Century Drive
      Century at Keith
      Greenville , SC 29607-1578
      864-241-8669 Office
      864-241-8667   Fax

      Please support your local United Way .   Allocations & designations are an important part of the SCAS budget.  Thank you for giving.

      The UPDATE

      August 2012
      Volume 40, Issue 8

      South Carolina Autism Society

      The purpose of the South Carolina Autism Society is to
      enable all individuals with autism spectrum disorders to reach their maximum potential.

      To view this newsletter as a pdf, click here.

      From the Desk of the President…
      This past summer, SC Autism Society partnered with the Respite Coalition and the Lt. Governor’s Office on Aging to provide some respite and family fun events around the state.
      We had a great response to these events and we are hoping we will be able to continue to host some events in the near future. But these events and the response to them really were an indication of the need for ongoing respite events and access to respite on a regular basis.
      DDSN this past March and April had a series of stakeholders meetings and one of the clear comments coming from both parents and providers was the need to have access to respite care.  In response to that, DDSN has assembled a task force to look at issues that are barriers to families getting the respite they need.
      We know some of them immediately. Find the people to provide the service is top of the list.  Often it is put on the family to find the person to provide the respite. We also know that the rate of pay is so low that most agencies do not offer the service. But there is no new money for the service.
      Now the taskforce is looking for reasonable and logical ways to provide respite.  There are some pilot programs around the state offering group setting respite for those who are on waiting list for other services. But they are only occurring in a few counties.
      As we move forward, I would love to hear your suggestions. The committee is made up of providers and advocates.  So let me know your ideas and I will happily share them with the committee.
      This past Saturday night, we held the last of our summer events here in Columbia . At the end of the night, a grandmother who I had just met came to me and gave me a hug, telling me that this was the first time in 5 years she and her husband was able to go out for dinner together without their grandchildren, who they are raising.
      These are the situations we need to prevent and ensure that respite is there to meet the need. Together, we as a state should be able to figure this issue out.
      I look forward to hearing from you on the respite issue.
      Craig Stoxen
      President & CEO

      Hollywood Comes to Greenville
      The Bully Movie

      bullymovieJoin us Thursday, August 23rd for a FREE community event...HOLLYWOOD COMES TO GREENVILLE--THE BULLY MOVIE! Meet the stars of the movie, David and Tina Long, and also enjoy a showing of excerpts of the Bully Movie!  Includes an open discussion with the cast!

      The documentary film “Bully” follows the lives of five children victimized by extreme bullying. While most of the kids and teens depicted are still around to tell their own stories, the son of Tina and David Long is not. Their son, Tyler, took his own life at age 17, and the Longs’ commitment to making a change in their son’s name is captured in this moving film.
      Although it is not stated in the movie, Tyler had Aspergers.

      This is an event you don't want to miss! FREE FOR THE ENTIRE FAMILY!
      Thursday August 23rd at the Empowerment Zone located at 775 Woodruff Rd. Greenville SC.   MEET AND GREET STARTS AT 5pm MOVIE STARTS AT 6pm.
      The South Carolina Autism Society is a sponsor of this event.

      TEDxGreenville August Salon
      Different, Not Less: Recognizing Every Person’s Ability

      Oscar Pistorius proved it in the Olympics, and millions around the world prove it every day—people with disabilities and special needs are more alike their able-bodied peers than different, and deserve to be seen, heard, welcomed and accepted in every classroom, boardroom, and community at large. Meet two outstanding self-advocates from the Upstate, challenge your own preconceived notions about what is and isn’t possible, and discover resources and ways to support the local disabled community.

      Angela Mackey, Career Outreach Coordinator, Walgreens Distribution Center
      Ruben Alvarez , Associate, David’s Table

      WHEN: Thursday, August 30, 6:00-7:30 p.m.

      WHERE: Greenville County Library, Hughes Main Library (Downtown)
      25 Heritage Green Place , Greenville , 29601
      RSVP: 100 seats plus wheelchair spaces available! http://www.eventbrite.com/event/4142367934/efblike

      This TEDxGreenville Salon is made possible by Bon Secours St. Francis Health System and guest curated by ED101, Inc.  Captioning/CART services provided by EveryWord, Inc.

      Be sure to visit our Resource Area for valuable information. Local providers will include Family Connection of SC, SC Autism Society, United Cerebral Palsy, Disability Action Center , The Arc of South Carolina, David's Table, Center for Developmental Services, ED101 and others!

      Strides for Autism

      Our fall Strides for Autism events of 2012 are coming up soon!  Plan to join us:

      Grand Strand
      September 22
      Plyler Park on the Oceanfront
      Myrtle Beach
      Honorary Chair
      Bob Derr, Myrtle Beach Fire Department
      New location!

      October 6
      Memorial Waterfront Park
      Mt. Pleasant
      Honorary Chair
      Dr. Frampton Gwynette, MUSC & Project Rex

      Each event will include a fun-walk, resource fair, and family fun activities.  Our staff are working hard to make these events even better than last year!

      Start your Teams, sign up to walk, or donate online at

      We are looking for volunteers to help with Strides for Autism.  Whether it is to hang posters and distribute flyers prior to the walk, or helping out on event-day.  We’d love to have you!  Your suggestions and input are always welcome!  Please contact Susan Leiby at SusanL@....

      Sponsorships and Exhibitors

      Do you own a business?  Work with families affected by autism?  Then join us at Strides for Autism as a Sponsor or Exhibitor in our Resource fair!  Opportunities are available at a wide-range of levels.  For more information, visit

      PalmettoGolfBall10th Annual Fun in the Fall Golf Tournament

      Friday, October 26, 2012

      Cost:  $125 per player or $500 per foursome
      Event will begin at 1 pm at The Members Club at Woodcreek, Elgin , SC.

      Thanks to our sponsor:

      The Tournament

      Modified "Shamble" Format
      Each team member hits a drive, the team picks the best one. From that point, each player plays his or her ball out and the best two scores of the team are recorded.  Pick up double bogeys.

      12:00 pm Registration & Driving Range
      1:00 pm Tee Time (shotgun start)

      Live music, silent and live auction, and dinner provided. Spouse and/or guest welcome after the tournament for dinner and awards ceremony.

      Cost:  $125/player & $500/foursome

      Fee includes:
      greens fee, cart, practice balls,
      dinner, refreshments, gift bag and beverages.

      Longest Drive
      Closest to the Pin
      Straightest Drive

      Raffle Tickets $  5.00

      What Can I Do?

      • Put a team together!  Gather your friends and support the SC Autism Society.
      • Ask your friends or business associates to become a sponsor.

      Why Should I Participate?

      • Proceeds from the tournament will be used to enhance programs for families and individuals with autism spectrum disorders.
      • Autism is a developmental disability that interferes with the development of the brain in reasoning, social interaction and communication skills.
      • The South Carolina Autism Society has been serving individuals with autism spectrum disorders and their families for  over thirty-five years.  Approximately 1 in 88 individuals have autism spectrum disorders.

      For more information on the Tournament, Sponsorships, and Registration, visit

      Cub Scouts Help with Greenville Event

      Thanks go out to Cub Scout Pack 527 of Greer, SC, chartered by Covenant United Methodist Church , for volunteering to assist with our Greenville family event at Otter Creek Waterpark.  Scouts came out early to help unload and set up the registration area, drinks, and snacks.
      Here are Pack 527 scouts pictured with SCAS President & CEO, Craig Stoxen, and Vice President, Kim Thomas.

      2012 Annual Meeting & Conference

      Saturday, October 20

      Columbia Conference Center - Columbia , SC

      Dr. Stephen Shore

      Friendship, Dating and Deeper Relationships
      The author of Beyond the Wall: Personal Experiences with Autism and Asperger Syndrome; Ask and Tell: Self-Advocacy and Disclosure for People on the Autism Spectrum; and the critically acclaimed Understanding Autism for Dummies

      Larry Bissonnette and Tracy Thresher

      from the film Wretches and Jabberers
      Where two men with autism embark on a global quest to change prevailing attitudes about disability and intelligence.  This global buddy movie gives viewers an eye opening perspective on autism, done with compassion and humor.

      Conference Schedule

      9 - 9:15 am

      9:15 - 10:15

      Dr. Stephen Shore, Friendship, Dating and Deeper Relationships

      10:15 - 10:45

      Break (Bookstore & Silent Auction open)

      10:45 - 11:45

      Dr. Stephen Shore Conclusions & Questions

      11:45 - 12:45

      Lunch (provided)
      Annual Meeting & Awards
      *silent auction closes at 3:00

      12:45 - 2:45

      Larry Bissonnette and Tracy Thresher
      Movie Viewing - Wretches and Jabberers

      2:45 - 3:00

      Break (Silent Auction closes at 3pm - Bookstore is OPEN)

      3:00 - 4:00

      Q & A with Larry and Tracy

      4:00 pm

      Pick up Silent Auction items

      Conference Prices

                                                                                            SCAS Members              NON Members
      Family Member/Full-Time Student/Ind w/ASD      $75                                  $100
      Two Family Members                                                 $110                                 $140
      Professional                                                                 $100                                 $125
      2 or more Professionals of same group/each         $90                                 $115

      For more information and registration visit

      The SC Autism Society Annual Conference will take place on October 20, and we are working to make it better each year!  As part of the Conference, we always have a Silent Auction.  This Silent Auction is a great fundraising tool, and helps SCAS provide many of the free services available to families statewide.
      Our Silent Auction is most successful when we have donations that are of interest to those attending the conference, including families, professionals and educators.  Ideas for items include hotel packages, vacation rentals, restaurant and attraction certificates, art/crafts/jewelry, services, classes, and more!  Anything you think may be a good silent auction item is welcome!
      We are asking for you help!

      • · Do you have a product or service you would like to donate to the Silent Auction?
      • · Do you have any contacts with people who may be interested in donating to the Silent Auction?
      • · Are you interested in being part of a committee designated to work on getting items for the auction?

      Contact Sarah at sarah@... if you're interested or have questions.

      Upstate Autism Forum

      Plans are underway for the annual Upstate Autism Forum.  Mark your calendar for August 25th 2012 at Brookwood Church in Simpsonville.
      Click here to view the schedule and registration.  Register before August 24th to ensure your free lunch!

      Workshops to include:

      • Rixon Lane on Siblings and Autism
      • Karen Driscoll-Autism Speaks-Autism and its Impact on the Military Family
      • MUSC and Dr. Jane Charles-Autism Prevalence and Research
      • Cyber-bullying: Bullying in the Digital Age - Dr. Robin Kowalski-Clemson University
      • Project Hope Foundation - Susan Sachs and Lisa Lane
      • Autism and Adulthood - Susan Kastner
      • Dr. Buscemi - DDSN and Planning for the changes to come
      • Maternal Parenting Stress and ASD - Julie McElrath
      • Planning for an IEP
      • USC Autism Research projects - Dr. Jane Roberts
      • DSM-V and Its Implications and Impact - Dr. Anne Kinsman and Dr. Lisha Bullard
      • Guardianship

      Research Opportunities

      Free Workshops!

      The South Carolina Autism Society, in conjunction with the South Carolina Department of Education, will be presenting a series of free workshops.

      Click here for a listing of workshops.  Online registration will be available soon on the SC Autism Society's website.

      Event & Activity Calendar