SC Autism Society's July 2012 Newsletter

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 26, 2012
      Rich text editor, html_content_graphical, press ALT 0 for help.

      palmettopuzzlelogo

       In this IssueIn this Issue:

      President's Message
      All Are Welcome
      Strides for Autism
      Fall Golf Tournament
      Respite/Family Events
      Silent Auction
      Annual Conference
      Upstate Autism Forum
      Research Opportunities
      Free Workshops
      Donors
      Event Calendar
      Become a Member

      To view as a PDF
      Click Here

      donatebutton

      Do you believe in someone with autism? Then you believe in the South Carolina Autism Society and its mission. How can we meet such a big mission? With support from you and others like you. We can't improve the lives of people with autism spectrum disorders without ongoing support. Your support allows us to continue what we've begun, find new ways to help, better serve the families who speak for loved ones, and come closer to solving the many puzzles of ASD. If you believe in someone who has an autism spectrum disorder, then you believe in the Autism Society's mission.

      Main Office

        806 12th Street
      West Columbia , SC
      29169-6142
      803-750-6988 Office
      800-438-4790
      803-750-8121 Fax

      Email
      scas@...

      Web
      www.scautism.org

       Satellite Offices

      Charleston

      4 Carriage Lane
      Suite 302
      Charleston, SC   29407
      843-870-1650 Office/Fax

      Coastal

      PO Box 30425
      3242 Holmestown Road
      Unit B
      Myrtle Beach , SC 29588
      843-650-0129 Office/Fax

      Upstate

      5 Century Drive
      Suite132
      Century at Keith
      Greenville , SC 29607-1578
      864-241-8669 Office
      864-241-8667   Fax

      unitedway

      Please support your local United Way .   Allocations & designations are an important part of the SCAS budget.  Thank you for giving.

      The UPDATE

      July 2012
      Volume 40, Issue 7

      South Carolina Autism Society

      The purpose of the South Carolina Autism Society is to
      enable all individuals with autism spectrum disorders to reach their maximum potential.

      grey_box_top.gif

      To view this newsletter as a pdf, click here.

      From the Desk of the President…

      The South Carolina Autism Society recently received funding from the SC Developmental Disabilities Council for the “Guarding, Advocating, and Protecting Adults with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities” (GAP) program.  This project will develop easily understood materials for families concerning the care and protection of their loved ones with intellectual and developmental disabilities.

      Philosophically, SCAS believes guardianship should be the last option chosen.  Individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities should be afforded all the opportunities possible to make their own choices, to live in the community, and to retain their rights.  However, there are some individuals that will need a great amount of guidance and assistance in making these decisions.  Therefore, SCAS plans to develop a guide in the form of a booklet that will assist families with options to ensure the appropriate level of protection.  This guide will also include the process necessary it takes for various options.

      Guardianship is the most restrictive option and it is a decision that should not be taken lightly.  It is a legal process that is spelled out in SC Code of Laws, Title 62 — South Carolina Probate Code, Article 5 — Protection of Persons Under Disability and Their Property.  Guardianship is a legal determination that protects an incapacitated person and their property.  When people become adults — including people with intellectual and developmental disabilities — they get all legal rights and responsibilities of any adult.  Only the courts have the authority to remove these rights.

      We will include other options such as power of attorney, limited guardianship, conservatorship and other informal support system.  The booklet will include a guide to help families make the appropriate choice.  We will work with a number of attorneys to ensure the material is legally accurate and in compliance with the SC regulations and procedures.

      We need your feedback to ensure that this guide meets the needs of families in South Carolina .  Please take a moment and complete the online survey at http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WVCFTPZ.

      Thanks,
       craig
      Craig Stoxen
      President & CEO

      SC Developmental Disabilities Council Grants

      All Are Welcome

      stained-glass01_smallerAll Are Welcome works to develop resources to help faith communities to be come inclusive and welcoming to individuals with disabilities. This is a turnkey program distributed to faith communities and available online to help them to become an inclusive community.

      These resources are available online at

      http://www.allarewelcome.info

      We also invite you to visit our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/SCASAllAreWelcome.

      Evidence Based Learning Center
      for Parents and Professionals

      We are excited to announce the new Evidence Based Learning Center for Parents and Professionals.  Evidence-Based Practice simply means the use of teaching techniques and interventions that have been researched and are known to work.  Evidence-Based Practices help increase skills and decrease unwanted behaviors in the most cost effective manner possible.  This means that with less time and money individuals with autism can have significant improvements in their quality of life.

      This on-line Learning Center has been developed to help you learn about evidence-based practices and how you can use them to help improve the quality of life for someone with autism.

      strideslogo

      Strides for Autism

      Our fall Strides for Autism events of 2012 are coming up soon!  Plan to join us:

      Grand Strand
      September 22
      Plyler Park on the Oceanfront
      Myrtle Beach
      New location!

      Lowcountry
      October 6
      Memorial Waterfront Park
      Mt. Pleasant

      Each event will include a fun-walk, resource fair, and family fun activities.  Our staff are working hard to make these events even better than last year!

      Start your Teams, sign up to walk, or donate online at

      https://scautism.org/strides/

      We are looking for volunteers to help with Strides for Autism.  Whether it is to hang posters and distribute flyers prior to the walk, or helping out on event-day.  We’d love to have you!  Your suggestions and input are always welcome!  Please contact Susan Leiby at SusanL@....

      Sponsorships and Exhibitors

      Do you own a business?  Work with families affected by autism?  Then join us at Strides for Autism as a Sponsor or Exhibitor in our Resource fair!  Opportunities are available at a wide-range of levels.  For more information, visit

      https://scautism.org/strides/sponsorships/

      PalmettoGolfBall10th Annual Fun in the Fall Golf Tournament

      Friday, October 26, 2012

      Cost:  $125 per player or $500 per foursome
      Event will begin at 1 pm at The Members Club at Woodcreek, Elgin , SC.

      Thanks to our sponsor:

      zvejnieks

      The Tournament

      Modified "Shamble" Format
      Each team member hits a drive, the team picks the best one. From that point, each player plays his or her ball out and the best two scores of the team are recorded.  Pick up double bogeys.

      Schedule

      12:00 pm Registration & Driving Range
      1:00 pm Tee Time (shotgun start)

      Live music, silent and live auction, and dinner provided. Spouse and/or guest welcome after the tournament for dinner and awards ceremony.

      Cost:  $125/player & $500/foursome

      Fee includes:
      greens fee, cart, practice balls,
      dinner, refreshments, gift bag and beverages.

      Contests
      Longest Drive
      Closest to the Pin
      Straightest Drive

      Extras
      Raffle Tickets $  5.00

      What Can I Do?

      • Put a team together!  Gather your friends and support the SC Autism Society.
      • Ask your friends or business associates to become a sponsor.

      Why Should I Participate?

      • Proceeds from the tournament will be used to enhance programs for families and individuals with autism spectrum disorders.
      • Autism is a developmental disability that interferes with the development of the brain in reasoning, social interaction and communication skills.
      • The South Carolina Autism Society has been serving individuals with autism spectrum disorders and their families for  over thirty-five years.  Approximately 1 in 88 individuals have autism spectrum disorders.

      For more information on the Tournament, Sponsorships, and Registration, visit
      http://www.scautism.org

      Summer Respite & Family events

      The South Carolina Autism Society has received funding to provide the following free Respite and Family Events this summer.  Register now!  You may attend as many of the events as you choose!

      Greenville Family Event
      Sunday, August 12th, 1:30—5:30 pm
      Otter Creek Water Park , 101 West Darby Road , Greenville

      Columbia Respite Event

      Saturday, August 18th, 6—9 pm
      All Star Gymnastics, 4046 Fernandina Road , Suite D Columbia

      Advanced registration required!
      To register online,
      visit http://www.scautism.org
      and click on Summer Respite/Family Events on the left menu.

      Click here to register online.

      2012 Annual Meeting & Conference

      Saturday, October 20

      Columbia Conference Center - Columbia , SC

      Featuring

      Dr. Stephen Shore

      Friendship, Dating and Deeper Relationships
      The author of Beyond the Wall: Personal Experiences with Autism and Asperger Syndrome; Ask and Tell: Self-Advocacy and Disclosure for People on the Autism Spectrum; and the critically acclaimed Understanding Autism for Dummies

      Larry Bissonnette and Tracy Thresher

      from the film Wretches and Jabberers
      Where two men with autism embark on a global quest to change prevailing attitudes about disability and intelligence.  This global buddy movie gives viewers an eye opening perspective on autism, done with compassion and humor.

      Conference Schedule

      8am-9am

      Registration

      9 - 9:15 am

      Welcome

      9:15 - 10:15

      Dr. Stephen Shore, Friendship, Dating and Deeper Relationships

      10:15 - 10:45

      Break (Bookstore & Silent Auction open)

      10:45 - 11:45

      Dr. Stephen Shore Conclusions & Questions

      11:45 - 12:45

      Lunch (provided)
      Annual Meeting & Awards
      *silent auction closes at 3:00

      12:45 - 2:45

      Larry Bissonnette and Tracy Thresher
      Movie Viewing - Wretches and Jabberers

      2:45 - 3:00

      Break (Silent Auction closes at 3pm - Bookstore is OPEN)

      3:00 - 4:00

      Q & A with Larry and Tracy

      4:00 pm

      Pick up Silent Auction items

      Conference Prices

                                                                                            SCAS Members              NON Members
      Family Member/Full-Time Student/Ind w/ASD      $75                                  $100
      Two Family Members                                                 $110                                 $140
      Professional                                                                 $100                                 $125
      2 or more Professionals of same group/each         $90                                 $115

      For more information and registration visit

      http://www.scautism.org

      SilentAuction

      The SC Autism Society Annual Conference will take place on October 20, and we are working to make it better each year!  As part of the Conference, we always have a Silent Auction.  This Silent Auction is a great fundraising tool, and helps SCAS provide many of the free services available to families statewide.

      Our Silent Auction is most successful when we have donations that are of interest to those attending the conference, including families, professionals and educators.  Ideas for items include hotel packages, vacation rentals, restaurant and attraction certificates, art/crafts/jewelry, services, classes, and more!  Anything you think may be a good silent auction item is welcome!

      We are asking for you help!

      • · Do you have a product or service you would like to donate to the Silent Auction?
      • · Do you have any contacts with people who may be interested in donating to the Silent Auction?
      • · Are you interested in being part of a committee designated to work on getting items for the auction?

      Contact Sarah at sarah@... if you're interested or have questions.

      Upstate Autism Forum

      Plans are underway for the annual Upstate Autism Forum.  Mark your calendar for August 25th 2012 at Brookwood Church in Simpsonville.

      Click here to view the schedule and registration.  Register Now!

      Workshops to include:

      • Rixon Lane on Siblings and Autism
      • Karen Driscoll-Autism Speaks-Autism and its Impact on the Military Family
      • MUSC and Dr. Jane Charles-Autism Prevalence and Research
      • Cyber-bullying: Bullying in the Digital Age - Dr. Robin Kowalski-Clemson University
      • Project Hope Foundation - Susan Sachs and Lisa Lane
      • Autism and Adulthood - Susan Kastner
      • Dr. Buscemi - DDSN and Planning for the changes to come
      • Maternal Parenting Stress and ASD - Julie McElrath
      • Planning for an IEP
      • USC Autism Research projects - Dr. Jane Roberts
      • DSM-V and Its Implications and Impact - Dr. Anne Kinsman and Dr. Lisha Bullard
      • Guardianship

      Award Nominations

      Meanwhile, we are seeking nominations for our first SC Autism Award, recognizing someone from the SC Autism Community for their efforts in helping families or an individual with autism here in SC.  To nominate someone, visit http://www.scautism.org and click on the Upstate Autism Forum link on the left menu.

      Research Opportunities

       research

      Free Workshops!

      The South Carolina Autism Society, in conjunction with the South Carolina Department of Education, will be presenting a series of free workshops.

      Click here for a listing of workshops.  Online registration will be available soon on the SC Autism Society's website.

      Event & Activity Calendar

      August 1