LOWCOUNTRY: Free Autism Forum in Charleston

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 26 8:33 AM

      MUSC is offering a free forum for people wanting more information about autism spectrum disorders.

      The forum is  June 16, 2012, 9:00AM- 4:00PM at Seacoast Church on   Longpoint  Road .

      The event is hosted by Lowcountry Autism Spectrum Disorders Consortium and Project Rex at MUSC.

      There will be speakers from around the country, state, and lowcountry, such as Dr. Joe Horrigan, Head of Medical Research for Autism Speaks, Leslie Long, Director of Housing and Adult Services Autism Speaks, Carol Page, PhD, Program Director of SC Assistive Technology Program.

      A few of the groups participating include: Family Resources Center, Project Rex at MUSC, the Department of Developmental Pediatrics MUSC, Carolina Speech and Language, SC Autism Society, Autism Speaks, iTaalk, Crooked Farms/Healing Farms ,Camp Good Times, Carolina Autism, the City of Charleston Therapeutic Recreation.

      There will also be a bookstore of autism themed books which will benefit the SC Autism Society.

      Lunch will be served, and child care will also be provided.

      Continuing education credits for teachers, behaviorists, speech therapists, and Occupational Therapists are also available at the forum.

      Some of the topics at the forum will cover:

      -How can I use my iPhone, iPad to help my child?

      -What applications are most useful for areas my child needs help

       -Can I get insurance or medicaid to pay for an iPad?

       -How can I get reimbursement from medicaid/health insurance to pay for ABA therapy?

      Delilah Bonnert

      SC Autism Society

      Information & Referral

      806 12th Street