SC Autism Society's Newsletter -- Temple Grandin is coming!

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2011

      Do you believe in someone with autism? Then you believe in the South Carolina Autism Society and its mission. How can we meet such a big mission? With support from you and others like you. We can't improve the lives of people with autism spectrum disorders without ongoing support. Your support allows us to continue what we've begun, find new ways to help, better serve the families who speak for loved ones, and come closer to solving the many puzzles of ASD. If you believe in someone who has an autism spectrum disorder, then you believe in the Autism Society's mission.

      Main Office

        806 12th Street
      West Columbia , SC
      803-750-6988 Office
      803-750-8121 Fax

       Satellite Offices

      4 Carriage Lane
      Suite 302
      Charleston, SC   29407
      843-870-1650 Office/Fax

      PO Box 30425
      3242 Holmestown Road
      Unit B
      Myrtle Beach , SC 29588
      843-650-0129 Office/Fax

      5 Century Drive
      Century at Keith
      Greenville , SC 29607-1578
      864-241-8669 Office
      864-241-8667   Fax

      Please support your local United Way .   Allocations & designations are an important part of the SCAS budget.  Thank you for giving.

      The UPDATE

      September 2011
      Volume 39, Issue 9

      South Carolina Autism Society

      The purpose of the South Carolina Autism Society is to enable all individuals with autism spectrum disorders to reach their maximum potential.

      Time is running out to register!!

      2011 Annual Conference
      Temple Grandin , Keynote Speaker

      Columbia Conference Center,templeRegister 2
      169 Laurelhurst Avenue , Columbia SC

      Saturday, October 15

      Resource Fair spaces available
      Online reservation

      Silent Auction & Bookstore will be open!
      Click here to donate to the Silent Auction!

      Don't miss the South Carolina Autism Society's Annual Conference, featuring Dr. Temple Grandin as Keynote Speaker!

      Dr. Temple Grandin was born in Boston , Massachusetts . Temple ’s achievements are remarkable because she was a child with autism. At age two she had no speech and all the signs of severe autism. Fortunately, her mother defied the advice of the doctors and kept her out of an institution. Many hours of speech therapy, and intensive teaching enabled Temple to learn speech. As a teenager, life was hard with constant teasing. Mentoring by her high school science teacher and her aunt on her ranch in Arizona motivated Temple to study and pursue a career as a scientist and livestock equipment designer. Dr. Grandin was awarded her Ph.D in Animal Science from the University of Illinois in 1989 and is currently a Professor at Colorado State University .

      Click here for even more information on Dr. Grandin.

      HBO has recently premiered a movie about Temple ’s early life and career with the livestock industry. The movie received seven Emmy awards and Claire Danes won the Best Actress, Mini-Series or TV Movie Golden Globe for her role as Temple Grandin .

      Additional Speakers to include Medical Professionals from across South Carolina updating on the latest autism news, and Jodi Cholewickie discussing Best Practices.

      Your registration includes Lunch, SCAS Annual Meeting, and Annual Awards Presentation.

      Conference Prices

      SCAS Members

      NON Members

      Family Member/Full-Time Student/Ind w/ASD

      Two Family

      3 or more Professionals of same group/each

      Download our conference flyer by clicking here.

      Click here for more information and to register online.

      9th Annual Fun in the Fall Golf Tournament

      Register today for the 9th Annual  Fun in the Fall Golf Tournament to benefit the South Carolina Autism Society!AutismGolfBall

          The Tournament

      Captain’s Choice Format
      Cost: $125/player & $500/foursome

      Click here to buy your tickets now!

      Fee includes: greens fee, cart, practice balls, lunch, refreshments, gift bag and beverages.

      9:00 a.m. Registration & Driving range
      10:00 a.m. Tee Time (shotgun start)
      1:30-2:30 Catered Lunch
      2:30 p.m. Awards

      The Members Club at Woodcreek
      301 Club Ridge Road , Elgin , SC 29045

      World renowned golf course designer Tom Fazio once said "A golf course should belong to nature instead of infringe upon it." Fazio has skillfully molded the unique Midlands environment and topography into a scenic, challenging course that reveals more of its subtleties each time you play. Winding through hardwoods, wetlands, hills and valleys, Woodcreek is a natural beauty. You will encounter dazzling displays of wildflowers, natural streams, lakes, and even a waterfall. Driving through the Pecan Grove between holes 16 and 17, you will experience the powerful and unmistakable presence of Nature itself. It is as if you have stepped back in time...or out of it...into a place of absolute stillness. The entire course has an ambience of serenity and tranquility that lets you concentrate on your game, enjoy the company of friends and experience the essence of the sport...the way it was meant to be played.

      Longest Drive
      Closest to the Pin
      Straightest Drive

      Raffle Tickets $ 5.00
      Mulligans $ 5.00 (mulligans are 2 per 9 and on honor system)
      Eagle Package $25.00* (*3 raffle tickets, 4 mulligans, $10 savings)

      What Can I Do?

      Put a team together! Gather your friends and support the SC Autism Society.
      Ask your friends or business associates to become a sponsor.

      Current Sponsors

       Sponsorships available!  Click here for more information!

      Win an ATV!

      You can win an ATV at the Fun in the Fall Golf Tournament!  Just $10 per entry!  Enter as many times as you like!  Drawing will be held at the Tournament.  Click here to buy your tickets!

      For more information, contact Susie Phillips at 803-447-6186.

      Strides for Autism

      Thank you to all our participants and supporters of our 2011 Strides for Autism events!

      Our first two walks for 2012 are tentatively scheduled as follows:

      April 14, 2012

      May 19, 2012

      Research Opportunities

      MUSC, GHS and USC have opportunities for participation in autism-related research.  Please consider the following studies:

      Autism Study

      The MUSC, USC, and GHS are pleased to announce a new research project. This study will examine biomarkers meas-ured in blood and the effectiveness of two medications, Risperidone and Aripiprazole, for the treatment of irritabil-ity in autism.

      Your child may be eligible to participate if:

      • he/she has been diagnosed with autism.
      • he/she is between the ages of 6 and 17.
      • he/she has hyperactivity, irritability, or other behav-ior problems.
      • he/she has not previously taken and is not currently taking either Aripiprazole or Respiridone.

      Compensation is available to study participants.

      For more information contact:
      MUSC:  Stacey Wilson (843) 792-0384
      USC:  Sarah Ravan (803) 434-4536
      GHS:  Betsy Holbrook (864) 464-5591

      USC Neurodevelopmental Disorders Lab Study

      Studies have shown that early identification is critical to early intervention and optimal development for children who are at risk for developmental delays.  We are interested in learning about the early development of infants who may be at risk for developmental delays, as well as those who are typically developing.

      We are currently recruiting families with infants under 24 months of age who:
      have been diagnosed with the FMR1 premutation or full mutation of fragile X syndrome
      have an older sibling diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder
      have been diagnosed with Williams syndrome

      We are also interested in speaking with families who are expecting the birth of a child who may fit these criteria.

      If you are interested in learning more about this study or similar studies at USC, pelase contact
      USCDevelopmentLab@... or 803-777-3024.

      Upcoming Events

      Visit our website at http://www.scautism.org for information on these and other upcoming events!

       October 5

      Coffee Talk parent support, 9 am, SCAS offices

       October 15

      SCAS Annual Conference
      Dr. Temple Grandin, Keynote Speaker

       October 27

      Autism 101 Training at SCAS Columbia office

       October 31

      SCAS Annual Golf Tournament

      Tax Exempt Status

      The South Carolina Autism Society is a 503(c) organization. Our Tax Exempt Letter can be found by clicking here

      P.S.    To futher support our mission, why not honor a loved one with a donation to the SC Autism Society?  For more information, click here.

      scaslogo_SMALLTel: (803) 750-6988 Toll Free: (800) 438-4890

      Fax: (803) 750-8121

      Email: scas@...

      Click to view this email in a browser

      If you no longer wish to receive these emails, please reply to this message with "Unsubscribe" in the subject line or simply click on the following link:

      Click here to forward this email to a friend

      South Carolina Autism Society
      806 12th Street
      West Columbia , SC 29169

      Try Email Marketing with VerticalResponse!