Lowcountry Strides for Autism is in 11 Days!

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2011

      Resource Fair Participants

      Butterfly Effects

      Coastal Autism Division

      Cutchin Law Firm

      Easter Seals of SC

      Project Rex

      REACH at the College of Charleston

      USC Neurodevelopmental Lab

      Family-fun activities

      Resource Fair

      We are just 11 days away from…

      Lowcountry Strides for Autism

      Saturday, September 10

      Memorial Waterfront Park

      Mt Pleasant, SC

      8 am registration, 9 am walk

      Register today at https://scautism.org/strides/

      Thank you to our sponsors and donors!

      Why it is important to support the South Carolina Autism Society through Strides for Autism?

      According to Craig Stoxen, President & CEO of the South Carolina Autism Society, we have two goals with our Strides event.

      1)       To raise the awareness of autism spectrum disorders. With the occurrence rate of autism at 1 in 110 everyone is or will soon be affected in one way or another by autism. It may be a family member or it may be coworker’s child or a friend’s child. So the better understanding our society has, the better the quality of life for those on the spectrum will be.

      2)       To raise funds for the South Carolina Autism Society. This fundraiser is to help ensure SCAS can meet the needs of families through information and referral, trainings and workshops and advocacy.

      Where does that money go?

      Monies go to help support this mission of the South Carolina Autism Society, which is, “To enable all individuals with autism spectrum disorders to reach their maximum potential.”  According to the South Carolina Secretary of State’s website, almost 90% of all monies go directly towards Program Expenses, which means that almost $1,000,000 a year is going directly to help support those with autism in South Carolina .

      What does the South Carolina Autism Society do?

      The South Carolina Autism Society is a 501(c) 3 nonprofit organization which has been assisting families for more than 35 years.  We provide the following programs:

      • Information and Referral:  Providing information to parents and professionals about autism and available services.
      • Advocacy:  SCAS provides advocacy on all levels from the individual level on up to the system change level.
      • Autism and Informed Response:  Training for emergency responders (law enforcement, EMS , fire fighters, etc) on autism, using parent volunteers.
      • Parent-School Partnership:  To assist children with autism in receiving the best education possible by helping to build relationships between the school and the parents.
      • Service Coordination:  Is an expansion of the society’s existing programs of information and referral and advocacy.  SCAS will provide service coordination to individuals with autism spectrum disorders.
      • Workshops and Conference:  Dr. Temple Grandin will be the keynote speaker at our October 15, 2011 conference!
      • Special Projects, such as:
        • Key Indicators and Training (KAIT) Project
        • Autism Training Collaborative
        • Project MEANS (Meaningful Engagement Around the Needs of a Student)
        • All Are Welcome faith inclusion training

      Now that you know why Strides for Autism is so important, it’s time to Create your own Team, and then encourage friends, family, and your community to sponsor you!  Donations can be made online, or brought to the event.  Additional information and pre-registration is available on the Strides for Autism website located at

      Opportunities for Sponsorship, as well as spaces in our Resource Fair, are still available.  Visit https://scautism.org/strides/sponsorships/ for more information.

      Onsite registration at both events begins at 8:00 am, with the walk beginning at 9 am.  Note that this is a “walk-what-you-can” event.

      Best of luck to all teams and individuals as we take Strides for Autism!  Remember, together we can solve the puzzle!

      In-Kind Lowcountry

      College of Charleston