Upstate Strides for Autism is in SIX DAYS!

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4, 2011

      Strides for Autism
      Saturday, April 9

      We are just 6 days away from Upstate Strides for Autism!  I hope that you’ve successfully set up your team or registered online!  We are looking forward to a great day with lots of fun activities for the whole family!  The following are some of the most common questions coming in.  Please let me know if there is any other way I can be of assistance.  See you Saturday!

      PROVDERS:  Please forward this email to your families!

      What is the Strides website address?

      Sign up online and seek sponsorships!  See below for more information!

      What time does it start?

      Onsite registration begins at 8 am and the event itself starts at 9 am.

      Where is Upstate Strides?

      Heritage Park in Simpsonville.  The park is located just off Highway 14, south of downtown Simpsonville.  Follow the signs to the Heritage Park Ampitheater to find the park.  You can also click here for online directions.

      What if it rains?

      Strides for Autism is rain or shine!  Thankfully the forecast is calling for “shine”!

      Are dogs allowed?

      Service animals are always welcome, but the City of Simpsonville has an ordinance that prohibits regular pets at Heritage Park .

      How long is the walk?

      The path around the park is approximately 1 mile.  There are also a few cut-offs to make it shorter.  You can walk as much or as little as you choose.  “It is about awareness, not endurance.”

      Can I bring a stroller/wagon/wheelchair?

      Absolutely!  The whole path is paved with cut curbs.

      How much does it cost?

      There is no cost to participate in the event.  However, with a $25 individual donation, you will receive a walk t-shirt.  With a $50 family donation, you will receive 4 walk t-shirts.

      What if I want more shirts?

      Additional shirts will be on sale for $10 each.

      Do all of my sponsors get t-shirts?

      T-shirts are available at the event only.  We do not mail them.  If you have a sponsor who meets the donation criteria listed above, you can pick up their shirt at the event.

      Will anything else be sold?

      The South Carolina Autism Society will have a variety of autism awareness merchandise available for sale.  There will be a few other vendors selling items as well.

      Will you take credit cards?

      We accept cash, checks, Visa, and Mastercard.

      What about my sponsors who don’t want to donate online?

      Your sponsors can also pay by cash or check.  Checks should be made out to South Carolina Autism Society.  So that your Team receives credit, please note your team name in the memo field.  Bring everything to the event on Saturday.

      What if something happens and I can’t come Saturday?

      You can mail your sponsorships to our Columbia office at 806 12th Street , West Columbia , SC   29169 .

      What about donations that come in after the walk?

      You can send them to our Columbia office at 806 12th Street , West Columbia , SC   29169 .

      Current Exhibitor list:

      Early Autism Project

      Bright Start

      Brain Balance

      Butterfly Effects

      YMCA Camp Greenville

      Greenville County Schools

      Autism Blooms

      Tansitions Jewelry

      Greenville Hospital System

      Mad Science

      Discovery Toys

      Storybook Theatre

      Amy Parham

      Carolina Center for Counseling & Behavioral Interventions

      Mauldin Miracle League

      Easter Seals South Carolina

      For additional questions, email Susan at SusanL@....

      Saturday, April 9, 2011

      Heritage Park in Simpsonville

      Honorary Chair

      Amy Parham

      of NBC’s The Biggest Loser

      … and parent of a child with autism.

      Midlands Strides for Autism

      Saturday, May 21, 2011

      Finlay Park in Columbia

      Honorary Chair

      The Honorable Steve Benjamin

      Mayor of Columbia

      Onsite registration at both events begins at 8:00 am, with the fun-walk beginning at 9 am.  Note that this is a “walk-what-you-can” event.  We will also have a Resource Fair, and lots of fun family activities!

      The Strides for Autism website is located at

      There are a few options you may want to consider.

      Start A Team:

      Create a team to recognize someone affected by autism.  Whether you are an individual with autism, family member, provider, friend, or a member of the community who wants to get involved, this is the most popular option.  Once your team is created, you can contact your friends, family, coworkers, etc. to sponsor your team for the walk(s).

      *Note – If you created a team in the past, you will need to create a new one this year.

      Join A Team:

      This is where you can sponsor another team that is participating in Strides for Autism.  A great way to show your financial support, especially if you cannot make it out to the walks.  This is also where those who want to support your team can go online and donate.

                  If you want to come to a Strides for Autism event, but do not want to Start or Join a Team, this is the place for you.

      Best of luck to all teams and individuals as we take Strides for Autism!  Remember, together we can solve the puzzle!

      P.S.  For information on Sponsorships or spaces in the Resource Fair, please click here!

      Current sponsors include:

      Blue Cross Blue Shield of South Carolina

      Greenville Hospital Children’s Medical Center

      Early Autism Project

      BMW Manufacturing Corporation

      Caring, Inc.