SC Autism Society February 2011 UPDATE Newsletter

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 21, 2011
      Rich text editor, html_content_graphical, press ALT 0 for help.

      In This Issue...

      Disability Advocacy Day
      Strides for Autism
      Dates & Locations
      Corporate Sponsorships
      Tax Exempt Status
      Spectrum Scouts
      Upcoming Events
      Become a Member

      Do you believe in someone with autism? Then you believe in the South Carolina Autism Society and its mission. How can we meet such a big mission? With support from you and others like you. We can't improve the lives of people with autism spectrum disorders without ongoing support. Your support allows us to continue what we've begun, find new ways to help, better serve the families who speak for loved ones, and come closer to solving the many puzzles of ASD. If you believe in someone who has an autism spectrum disorder, then you believe in the Autism Society's mission.

      Main Office

        806 12th Street
      West Columbia , SC
      803-750-6988 Office
      803-750-8121 Fax

       Satellite Offices

      4 Carriage Lane
      Suite 302
      Charleston, SC   29407
      843-870-1650 Office/Fax

      PO Box 30425
      3242 Holmestown Road
      Unit B
      Myrtle Beach , SC 29588
      843-650-0129 Office/Fax

      5 Century Drive
      Century at Keith
      Greenville , SC 29607-1578
      864-241-8669 Office
      864-241-8667   Fax

      Please support your local United Way .   Allocations & designations are an important part of the SCAS budget.  Thank you for giving.

      February 22, 2011
      Volume 39, Issue 2

      South Carolina Autism Society

      The purpose of the South Carolina Autism Society is to enable all individuals with autism spectrum disorders to reach their maximum potential.

      Disability Advocacy Day

       Join us at the 22nd Annual Disability Advocacy Day
      at the State House
      starting in the Blatt Building

      Wednesday, March 2, 2011
      9:00 am - 2:00 pm

      YOU can help the Governor and members of the SC General Assembly understand the unique needs of citizens with severe, lifelong disabilities in South Carolina .

      Our goal in 2011 is to preserve and maintain esstential services provided by DDSN to individuals with disabilities and their families.

      We want every State Senator and State Representative receive a visit from a constituent and to have an overflowing crowd in the State House upper Lobby, making sure that our presence and concerns are known and heard!

      Click here for complete information!

      Strides for Autism

      It's time to start planning for Strides for Autism!  Strides is the premier fundraising event to support the mission of the South Carolina Autism Society.  These events include a fun-walk, resource fair, and family-fun activities.

      Our secure online registration system is up and waiting for you to set up your team and find supporters!

      Visit us online at

      Dates & Locations

      Strides for Autism events will be held as follows:

      Saturday, April 9, 2011
      Heritage Park , Simpsonville
       Honorary Chair:  Amy Parham of NBC's The Biggest Loser
      ...and parent of a child with autism

      Saturday, May 21, 2011
      Finlay Park , Columbia
      Honorary Chair:  The Honorable Steve Benjamin
      Mayor of Columbia

      Saturday, September 10, 2011
      Memorial Waterfront Park , Mt. Pleasant

      Grand Strand
      Saturday, October 8, 2011
      Grand Park @ Market Common, Myrtle Beach

       Come out and join us as we take Strides for Autism!

      Corporate Sponsorships

      We have a variety of sponsorship levels for our Strides for Autism events, and we encourage companies and organizations to become involved.

      For an explanation of the different sponsorship levels, please view our Strides Sponsor Levels document. One you have determined your desired sponsorship level, please complete and return the Sponsor Registration Form.

      NEW!  Purchase your sponsorship online! Click here for more information.

      Each Strides for Autism event includes a Resource Fair. All copmanies and organizations providing services or products that may be of interested in those in the autism community are welcome to participate. Please complete and return the Strides Exhibit Space Form to participate.

      NEW!  Sign up as an Exhibitor online! Click here for more information.

      Tax Exempt Status

      The South Carolina Autism Society is a 503(c) organization. Our Tax Exempt Letter can be found by clicking here.

      Spectrum Scouts

      In 2010, two of our Strides for Autism events were kicked off with a flag ceremony.  These ceremonies were conducted by Scouts, both male and female, who have been affected by autism.  Some were scouts with autism, while others were their typically-developing peers who came out in support.

      We hope to have enough Scouts to hold Spectrum Scouts flag ceremonies at all four walks in 2011.

      • We welcome all Scouts, male or female, currently active or inactive, ASD or their typically-developing peers who wish to come out in support.
      • Uniforms are encouraged, but not required.
      • Participants will report to the event site by 8:15 am for a brief practice.

      We are also seeking adult scout leaders to facilitate and lead the flag ceremony on the event day.

      If you are interested in participating in Spectrum Scouts at a Strides for Autism event, please click here to complete the registration form.

      Upstate Spectrum Scouts 2010
      photo by Bill Neary

      Upcoming Events

      Visit our website at http://www.scautism.org for information on these and other upcoming events!

       February 25

      Snip-Its Grand Opening to Benefit SCAS

       March 2

      Disability Advocacy Day

       March 10

      Playing 5th Base Parent Education Series (Upstate)

       March 15

      SC Assistive Technology Expo

       March 16

      Winston's Wish Foundation presents Dr. Timothy Vollmer

       March 26

      Bordertown BBQ Cookoff

       April 2

      Autism Ride for Awareness Poker Run

       April 9

      Upstate Strides for Autism

       April 30

      Rolling for Autism Awareness

       May 7

      Aerospace Professionals Golf Tournament

       May 21

      Midlands  Strides for Autism

       September 10

      Lowcountry Strides for Autism

       October 8

      Grand Strand Strides for Autism

       October 15

      SCAS Annual Conference -- Dr. Temple Grandin, Keynote Speaker

      SC Autism Society Memberships
        Click here to find out how you can become a member of the South Carolina Autism Society!

      P.S.    To futher support our mission, why not honor a loved one with a donation to the SC Autism Society?  For more information, click here.

      scaslogo_SMALLTel: (803) 750-6988
      Toll Free: (800) 438-4890

      Fax: (803) 750-8121

      Email: scas@...

      Click to view this email in a browser

      Click here to forward this email to a friend

      South Carolina Autism Society
      806 12th Street
      West Columbia , SC 29169

      Try Email Marketing with VerticalResponse!