995Back to School Resources from ASA

    Aug 21, 2014

      Please see the email below for some great back-to-school resources from the Autism Society of America.

      Upstate Information & Referral, Outreach, and Events

      Cell:  (864) 517-0501  (If this email has a contact person above, please call them first!)

      Email Header Banner

      Dear Susan,

      We know that back to school time can be a stressful time of year for both parents and students on the autism spectrum. The Autism Society has gathered helpful resources from our archive that offer advice, tips, and resources for families and professionals preparing for a new school year. Please feel free to share these incredible resources and view more of our resources at http://www.autism-society.org/resource-materials.

      For Parents and Students

      Moving from Preschool to Kindergarten: Planning for a Successful Transition and New Relationships
      Leaving pre-school to enter a more formal educational system represents a major transition for every parent and their child. The environment will be new, the challenges will be different, and new relationships will need to be formed.

      Transition Across Grade Levels
      Transition is a natural part of all educational programs. Students are expected to adjust to changes in teachers, classmates, schedules, buildings, and routines. This article provides suggestions for facilitating a smooth transition so that students with ASD can more easily make the shift from one grade to the next with careful planning and preparation.

      Transition to Middle School
      Transition from elementary to middle school is stressful for any student. Many things will be different. The school will probably be larger and the enrollment may be several times greater than in elementary school. This article provides a process that others have found useful for developing a successful plan.

      Preparing to Experience College Living
      Going away to college can be a daunting experience for students on the autism spectrum, as supports from family, friends and school may no longer exist. The article provides a number of things to keep in mind when considering postsecondary options.

      For Teachers

      Building Our Future: Educating Students on the Autism Spectrum
      This publication provides information about working with students on the autism spectrum. Educators and school administrators provide the best educational services and supports when they become familiar with the learning styles of students with ASD.

      Puzzle of Autism
      This informational guide for educators who work with students on the autism spectrum. The guide explains the characteristics of autism and suggests effective classroom strategies for improving the communication, sensory, social and behavioral skills of students with autism.

      We hope that these resources will reduce the stress of starting a new school year and improve school quality for your loved one with autism spectrum disorder this school year.

      Education is more than reading, writing, and arithmetic — it’s the future. A quality education is a critical investment for our children that will reduce inequality and increase opportunity. Please feel free to share these incredible resources and view more of our resources at http://www.autism-society.org/resource-materials.