950My Money, My Science: Human Autism Robot Teamwork (HART)

    May 20, 2014

      Human-Autism-Robot-Teamwork (HART) Project

      Families set the table for dinner, basketball teams perform high-flying feats of cooperative trouncing, carefully choreographed ballets bring tears to our eyes, SWAT teams infiltrate enemy encampments and highly-trained surgical teams execute intricate medical procedures.

      What do all these have in common? They involve cooperation at the highest level. I have spent much of my life trying to understand the science of teamwork.

      Why are some people great at working in teams while others are not? Why do children with Autism have such a difficult time working with others to accomplish common goals?

      The My Money, My Science: HART project asks you to fund a two-year project that will explore how humans work together and then apply that knowledge to improve teamwork skills in individuals that lack them, map out the brain basis of teamwork and design more capable social robots.  For more information on funding, click here.  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/312457347/my-money-my-science-human-autism-robot-teamwork-ha

      The heart of our approach is the Cooperation Station, a collection of fun video games designed to test and train various aspects of teamwork. Each of our games will be inspired by the science of teamwork, and each game will home in on an important social skill. Examples include turn-taking, synchronization, action prediction, imitation,complementary action and attention to social cues (like eyes and faces).

      But that is just the beginning of the fun. We will use the Cooperation Station to gather data on how all sorts of people work together. We will look at how the brain responds during cooperation in individuals with and without Autism. And we will use this data as a touchstone for the creation of robots capable of cooperating just like real people.

      Throughout the process of game creation and data collection, continuous web access and weekly updates will keep you on the cutting edge of discovery!

      Check out our website, www.MyMoneyMyScience.com, for more detailed information!

      This project is associated with:

      ·         The University of South Carolina, http://www.sc.edu/

      ·         The Arnold School of Public Health, Department of Exercise Science,http://www.sph.sc.edu/

      ·         The School of Arts and Sciences, Department of Psychology,http://www.psych.sc.edu/

      ·         Perceptual Motor Development Laboratory, http://www.sph.sc.edu/EXSC/PMD/

      ·         Research Consortium for Children and Families,http://www.sc.edu/vpresearch/childfamily/

      This project is a two-year voyage into the intricacies of human-human and human-robot interaction. This project is low risk / high reward.

      Roger D. Newman-Norlund, Ph.D. has been studying teamwork for the past decade using both behavioral and brain imaging experiments. He has programmed multiple cooperative serious video games like the ones that will make up the Cooperation Station. He is the Director of the children's Perceptual Motor Development laboratory, which teaches children motor and social skills, at the University of South Carolina. He also has three children of his own.

      As an Assistant Professor at the University of South Carolina Roger has the full support of the Arnold School of Public Health, The Department of Exercise Science,The Department of Psychology, The McCausland Center for Brain Imaging, The Perceptual Motor Development Laboratory, and the Research Consortium for Children and Families.

      Roger D. Newman-Norlund, Ph.D.

      Assistant Professor, Department of Exercise Science Adjunct Professor, Department of Psychology Director, USC Brain Stimulation Laboratory http://www.mccauslandcenter.sc.edu/tms/

      University of South Carolina

      Discovery I Building, Office 202D

      915 Greene Street

      Columbia, SC 29208

      Office: 803-777-7176

      Fax: 803-777-8422

      Cell:  (864) 517-0501

      Join us at Strides for Autism!

      Midlands -- Saturday, May 3, 2014, Finlay Park, Columbia

      Visit https://scautism.org/strides/ for more information and registration!