      miniupdate 2

      February 2014

      divider2.gif

      spacer.gif

      Announcements

      palmettopuzzle_smaller 2

      DADlogo

      March 5 -- Columbia

      Mark your calendars to attend Disability Advocacy Day at the South Carolina Statehouse on Wednesday, March 5, 2014.  This is a great opportunity for parents, professionals, and self-advocates to visit legislators and share what is important for you!

      Individuals in South Carolina with disabilities, their family members and service providers will meet with legislators at the state house where self advocates will speak about current disability issues that are of great concern to them. They will gather to see the S.C. General Assembly at work and personally urge their representatives and senators to take whatever measures are necessary to continue essential services for children and adults with disabilities.

      Registration begins at 8:30 am and runs through the morning.  The Self-Advocacy Rally and lunch will take place at noon.

      We hope to emphasize the following 2014 priorities:

      • Transition
      • Employment/Jobs
      • Respite
      • Transportation
      • Service Coordination
      • Restoration of Provider Funding

      Steps to take NOW:

      • Make an appointment with your legislators.
      • Ask your legislator to come out and walk with you on Disability Advocacy Day.
      • Encourage local group homes and assisted living communities to bring their residents to DAD.

      If you or your child lives in a group home or assisted living community, we want you to attend DAD, too! Please contact the assisted living community or group home to see if DAD is on the schedule for March 5. Ask if the home is planning transportation for DAD and, if you're a parent, offer to be a chaperone. There is a self advocate rally held at the end of the day, and it is always a highlight for attendees. With so many group home providers in the state, we should be able to flood our state house with self advocates.

      To find out who your legislators are, visit www.sc.gov or call the voter registration office in your county.

      A full schedule and additional information is available at www.scdisabilityadvocacy.org.

      divider.gif

      Strides for Autism!

      palmettopuzzle 2

      Announcing Strides for Autism 2014!

      It’s time to start planning for the 2014 slate of Strides for Autism events, scheduled to take places as follows:

      Upstate

      Saturday, April 5, 2014

      Heritage Park, Simpsonville

      8 am registration, 9 am walk

      Midlands

      Saturday, May 3, 2014

      Finlay Park, Columbia

      8 am registration, 9 am walk

      Register Now at https://scautism.org/strides/

      What is Strides for Autism?  Strides for Autism is SCAS’s signature fund-raising and awareness walk.  They include a fun-walk, resource fair, and family-fun activities.  The goals of our Strides for Autism events are:

      1)   To raise the awareness of autism spectrum disorders.  The better understanding our society has about autism, the better the quality of life for those on the spectrum will be.

      2)   To raise funds for the South Carolina Autism Society. This fundraiser is to help ensure SCAS can meet the needs of families through:

      a.   Service Coordination:  Our Service Coordinators work to ensure that the individuals on their caseloads receive the best services to which they are entitled.

      b.   Parent School Partnership:  Our Parent Mentors work to assist children with autism in reaching their maximum potential in the classroom through appropriate services and accommodations.

      c.   Information & Referral.  We aim to help provide accurate and timely information to families and professionals about autism spectrum disorders and services available throughout the state.

      d.   Training.  We work in partnership with the South Carolina Department of Education to provide training to families and professionals about various strategies and supports.

      e.   Advocacy.  We work with policy makers throughout the state to help improve the services available to individuals with autism spectrum disorders.

      f.    Events.  In addition to our Strides for Autism events, we regularly partner with other community organizations to provide respite and family activities statewide.

      About the South Carolina Autism Society.  SCAS is the only statewide agency advocating for children and adults with autism spectrum disorders and their families, while also providing assistance and resources.  SCAS promotes, educates and raises awareness that one in every 88 births in the U.S. is a child with autism, and provides support for South Carolina-based research and development.  Most importantly, SCAS works to ensure that the 50,000+ individuals with an autism spectrum disorder (ASD) living in South Carolina have opportunities to achieve a quality of life comparable to their peers.

      Registration.  Participants in the event can register as an individual, family, or team.  Contact your family and friends and ask them to sponsor you!  There is no minimum donation, but individual registrations of at least $25 will receive an event t-shirt, and family registrations of at least $50 will receive 4 event t-shirts.  T-shirts are distributed at Strides events only.  (Previous participants will need to create new accounts and teams each year.)

      Monies raised for South Carolina Autism Society stay in South Carolina and go towards family supports, education, advocacy, and South Carolina-based research.  According to the South Carolina Secretary of State, the South Carolina Autism Society devoted 93.4% of its total expenses to program services during 2012, the most recent year reported.

      Registration and other information for Strides for Autism, along with information about autism and SCAS, is available at the event Web site,

      www.scautism.org/strides/, or by calling the Columbia SCAS office at 1-800-438-4790.

      Register Now!

      https://scautism.org/strides/

      Honorary Chairs & Emcees

      We are excited to announce our Honorary Chairs and Emcees for the Upstate & Midlands Strides for Autism events!

      DerrickHowleUpstate Honorary Chair

      Derrick Howle

      Derrick and his wife Sandrine are the founders of the LUCAS Network.  The L.U.C.A.S. Network (Loving Unconditionally Children with Autism Support Network) was created in 2007 in honor of their son, Lucas, who has autism. They developed this network after the successful passage of Ryan’s Law in June of 2007. As a parent advocate, Derrick is actively involved in all aspects of autism advocacy and support, and is involved in a range of agencies including the South Carolina Autism Society, Family Connections, Greenville DSN Board, and more.

      LorriUnumbMidlands Honorary Chair

      Lorri Unumb

      Lorri is the Vice President of State Government Affairs at Autism Speaks.  She tirelessly travels the country spearheading efforts to enact autism insurance reforms.  She was instrumental in the passage of the Ryan’s Law insurance reform and the PDD-Waiver program in South Carolina.  Lorri and her husband Dan are also the founders of the Autism Academy of South Carolina, based in Columbia.

      jennakochenauerUpstate Emcee

      Jenna Kochenauer

      Jenna is a News Reporter for News Radio Word 106.3 in Greenville.  She has been a supporter of the South Carolina Autism Society for several years.  Jenna provided the narration for Year 2 of the All Are Welcome faith inclusion program.  She has volunteered at Strides for Autism as part of a scout group that handles t-shirt distribution in the Upstate.

      JoePinnerMidlands Emcee

      Joe Pinner

      Past attendees at Midlands Strides for Autism already know Joe from his many years serving as our Emcee.  He brings great enthusiasm to the event, which he looks forward to participating in each year.  Joe has worked for WIS-TV since 1963, and is most known for his weather reports and the Mr. Knozit Show.

      Corporate Sponsorships & Resource Fair

      Corporate Sponsorship opportunities are available, as are spaces at the Resource Fair.  For more information, visit https://scautism.org/strides/sponsorships/.  Prices start at just $100.  In-kind donations are also welcome.

      Thank you to our current Sponsors!

      Greenville Health System

      Carolina Center for Counseling & Behavioral Interventions

      Early Autism Project

      Davis Orthodontics

      BMW

      Please contact Susan at SusanL@... for more information and questions.

      divider.gif

      Aces for Autism Golf Tournament

      palmettopuzzle_smaller 4

      acesforeautismGolf Tournament

      Join us for our upcoming Golf Tournament, Aces Fore Autism, to be held at Hidden Valley Golf Club on April 26th. There will be an 8:00 am registration and a 9:00 shotgun start.

      For $60/player or $240/team, golf cart, range balls, breakfast, gift bag, beverages and lunch are included. All proceeds from the tournament will be used to enhance programs for families and individuals with autism spectrum disorders.

      Sponsorships are also available.

      Click here for more information and registration!

      Upcoming Events

      coffeetalk

      We will not hold Coffee Talk in March so that our families and staff can attend Disability Advocacy Day in Columbia.

      Starting again in April, visit your local SC Autism Society office on the first Wednesday of each month from 9 - 11 for our monthly parent-support gatherings.  Light snacks and drinks are provided.  Next date:  February 5th.

      Note:  This is a parent/caregiver support forum.  Business/Organizations may drop off materials in advance for distribution.  Thank you for respecting the privacy of our families.

      GreenvilleRoadWarriorsSavetheDate

      spectrumsundays 2

      Sunday, March 9

      Simpsonville, SC

      Join us for Spectrum Sunday at the Adams Mill Program Center, 100 Adams Mill Road, Simpsonville on Sunday, March 9th from 5 - 7 pm.

      Activities will include swimming, open gym, and arts & crafts.  And of course the opportunity to visit with fellow Spectrum families.

      All families affected by autism or related conditions are invited.  You do not need to be a Y member, nor a resident of Greenville.

      Please consider signing up to bring a drink or snack to share.

      Cost is $5 per family.  Scholarships are available.  Contact Greg McKee at at gmckee@... or 963-3608.

      Click here to register online.

      If you have an event you would like to share, please email it to pr@....

      SCAS Trainings

      The South Carolina Autism Society offers numerous workshops throughout the year in Conjunction with the South Carolina Department of Education

      For the following classes, please register by calling Delilah at 803-750-6988

      Columbia Office Classes:

      806 12th St., West Columbia, South Carolina 29169

      March 12, 2014, 10:00 a.m.- 12:00 p.m.

      Written Productivity – How to help children with the mechanics of writing.

      April 30, 2014, 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.

      Executive Functioning a/k/a Getting your Child/Students Organized – Various resources and strategies to help organize your child or student.

      May 28, 2014, 10:00 – 12:00 p.m.

      Creating Social Stories with Digital Supports – Learn how to create social stories and use then with Power Point and other digital supports.

      Statewide Classes:

      March 27, 2014, 10:00 – 12:00 P.M.

      Upstate – Rock Hill

      410 East Black Street

      Rock Hill, South Carolina 29730

      Communication Strategies -- Various strategies used to facilitate communication for children with ASD.

      April 22, 2014, 10:00 – 12:00 P.M.

      Upstate - Greenville

      5 Century Drive Suite 132

      Greenville SC 29607

      Communication Strategies -- Various strategies used to facilitate communication for children with ASD.

      To view additional classes, please click here.

      Connect With Us!

      For more immediate information, consider joining one of the following: