      Announcing Strides for Autism 2014!

      Running out of things to do in this winter weather?  How about starting your Strides for Autism TEAM?  Or REGISTER to attend!

      It’s time to start planning for the 2014 slate of Strides for Autism events, scheduled to take places as follows:

      Saturday, April 5, 2014

      Heritage Park, Simpsonville

      8 am registration, 9 am walk

      Saturday, May 3, 2014

      Finlay Park, Columbia

      8 am registration, 9 am walk

      Register Now at https://scautism.org/strides/

      What is Strides for Autism?  Strides for Autism is SCAS’s signature fund-raising and awareness walk.  They include a fun-walk, resource fair, and family-fun activities.  The goals of our Strides for Autism events are:

      1)      To raise the awareness of autism spectrum disorders.  The better understanding our society has about autism, the better the quality of life for those on the spectrum will be.

      2)      To raise funds for the South Carolina Autism Society. This fundraiser is to help ensure SCAS can meet the needs of families through:

      a.       Service Coordination:  Our Service Coordinators work to ensure that the individuals on their caseloads receive the best services to which they are entitled.

      b.      Parent School Partnership:  Our Parent Mentors work to assist children with autism in reaching their maximum potential in the classroom through appropriate services and accommodations.

      c.       Information & Referral.  We aim to help provide accurate and timely information to families and professionals about autism spectrum disorders and services available throughout the state.

      d.       Training.  We work in partnership with the South Carolina Department of Education to provide training to families and professionals about various strategies and supports.

      e.      Advocacy.  We work with policy makers throughout the state to help improve the services available to individuals with autism spectrum disorders.

      f.        Events.  In addition to our Strides for Autism events, we regularly partner with other community organizations to provide respite and family activities statewide.

      Honorary ChairsWe are excited to announce our Honorary Chairs for the Upstate & Midlands Strides for Autism events!

      ·         Upstate – Derrick Howle.  Derrick and his wife Sandrine are the founders of the LUCAS Network.  The L.U.C.A.S. Network (Loving Unconditionally Children with Autism Support Network) was created in 2007 in honor of their son, Lucas, who has autism. They developed this network after the successful passage of Ryan’s Law in June of 2007. As a parent advocate, Derrick is actively involved in all aspects of autism advocacy and support, and is involved in a range of agencies including the South Carolina Autism Society, Family Connections, Greenville DSN Board, and more.

      ·         Midlands – Lorri Unumb.  Lorri is the Vice President of State Government Affairs at Autism Speaks.  She tirelessly travels the country spearheading efforts to enact autism insurance reforms.  She was instrumental in the passage of the Ryan’s Law insurance reform and the PDD-Waiver program in South Carolina.  Lorri and her husband Dan are also the founders of the Autism Academy of South Carolina, based in Columbia.

      About the South Carolina Autism Society.  SCAS is the only statewide agency advocating for children and adults with autism spectrum disorders and their families, while also providing assistance and resources.  SCAS promotes, educates and raises awareness that one in every 88 births in the U.S. is a child with autism, and provides support for South Carolina-based research and development.  Most importantly, SCAS works to ensure that the 50,000+ individuals with an autism spectrum disorder (ASD) living in South Carolina have opportunities to achieve a quality of life comparable to their peers.

      RegistrationParticipants in the event can register as an individual, family, or team.  Contact your family and friends and ask them to sponsor you!  There is no minimum donation, but individual registrations of at least $25 will receive an event t-shirt, and family registrations of at least $50 will receive 4 event t-shirts.  T-shirts are distributed at Strides events only.  (Previous participants will need to create new accounts and teams each year.)

      Monies raised for South Carolina Autism Society stay in South Carolina and go towards family supports, education, advocacy, and South Carolina-based research.  According to the South Carolina Secretary of State, the South Carolina Autism Society devoted 93.4% of its total expenses to program services during 2012, the most recent year reported.

      Corporate Sponsorships opportunities are available, as are spaces at the Resource Fair.  For more information, visit https://scautism.org/strides/sponsorships/

      Registration and other information for Strides for Autism, along with information about autism and SCAS, is available at the event Web site, www.scautism.org/strides/, or by calling the Columbia SCAS office at 1-800-438-4790.

      Cell:  (864) 517-0501 ß New Number