225UPSTATE: Thanksgiving Food Drive

    Nov 1, 2010

      Thanksgiving Food Drive

      The South Carolina Autism Society and The LUCAS Network  in cooperation with The Christy Ruppert Delseni Autism Program are conducting their annual Thanksgiving Food Drive to benefit families of need in the autism and special needs communities of Greenville , Spartanburg , and Anderson .  Families referred by local autism providers will receive a turkey along with non-perishable items to make a Thanksgiving Dinner.  Last year, this program provided 80 complete dinners. This year, the demand has already surpassed this number and we will have the final tally by tomorrow.

      We are asking those who are able to consider donating food items, as listed below:

      • Turkeys
      • Green beans (canned)
      • Sweet potatoes (canned)
      • Stuffing mix
      • Mashed potato mix (instant)
      • Cornbread mix
      • Cranberry sauce (canned)
      • Turkey gravy (mix or jar)
      • Grocery store gift cards (to pay for any of the above)

      If you prefer to let us do the shopping, we will accept cash and checks.  Please make checks payable to “ South Carolina Autism Society” or to The Christy Ruppert Delseni Autism Program , and note “turkey dinners” in the memo field.

      Non-perishable items can be dropped off at the SCAS Greenville office through Wednesday, November 17.  Turkeys can be dropped off the week of November 15 – 20.  The Office is located at 5 Century Drive, Suite 132 in Greenville , and is typically open Monday thru Thursday between 9:00 am and 4:00 pm.  Please call the office first at 241-8669 to make sure someone is there. Derrick Howle will also be willing to pick up any items as well. Just call him  (864-292-6116) to set up a time and place for the pick-up. We will be also setting up a Saturday drop date to be determined in the next few days at the SCAS office.

      We are also seeking those with large freezers who may be able to help store donated turkeys until they are picked up.  Volunteers are also needed to help sort and distribute food.

      If you are able to help others in the autism community this holiday season by donating food towards a Thanksgiving Dinner to helping us with this effort, please contact me at luluhowle@... or Kim Thomas kim@... .

      Thank you in advance for your generosity and caring!

      Derrick and Sandrine Howle
      The LUCAS Network
      (Loving Unconditionally Children with Autism Support Network)
      Greenville , SC 29615
      864-292-6116
      864-325-5507
      www.luluhowle.com

      Life isn't about Waiting for the storm to pass...It's learning how to dance in the rain!