Baronial consideration...

  • dukealaric13
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2005
      To everyone concerned-

      Now that we are back from the War, it is time to consider the
      Baronial question again.

      I would like to point out a new consideration that had not been
      thrown into the mix before now. One that I feel will grudgingly play
      a vital role in our ultimate decision.

      The price of Gasoline is now over $3 per gallon, and there doesn't
      seem to be an end in sight to the rising price of it.

      This is what I see- we will have an increased need for local events
      in the coming years. The price of gas is going to severely alter the
      manner in which most people play in the SCA. As such, we will need
      to become much more self sufficient than we have been in the past. I
      feel that a Barony, and maybe even in the near future a Midlands
      Principality (based on the Kingdom of the West model of
      Principalities that are not created to eventually become Kingdoms in
      their own right), in order to fulfill our local needs.

      Even though the Mid Realm does a great job of supporting its
      Sovereigns through a large travel fund, I am unsure that even that
      will be able to keep up with the dramatic rise in gas, and feel that
      we will likely be seeing even less of our Kings and Queens in the
      future than we are already. In order to provide an SCA experience
      that keeps with the Medieval traditions of a monarchical society
      (Courts, pageantry, etc), we will find ourselves needing to do more
      on our own- we will need to have a Barony in order to do this.

      As the SCA continues to become more localized, we should be prepared
      to have more smaller events, and much more of the responsibility for
      SCA'ing will fall on our shoulders. This is a large part of the
      reason why I feel it won't be too long before talks of a Principality
      start up. The SCA is going to become even more localized than it
      already is, and short of us all winning the lottery, or a new fuel
      source suddenly popping up, there isn't going to be anything we can
      do about it.

      Alaric
    • Drew
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2005
        Press release:

        Indianapolis, Indiana:

        The Chateau Teafort Foundation, a not-for-profit organization dedicated to
        aiding members of the SCA who are victims of natural disasters, announced
        today that in addition to donating all profits from the Chateau Teafort
        Trio's debut album, "Whipporwhill", the Foundation is also now officially
        accepting direct cash donations.

        The Chateau Teafort Foundation, which was created in late August, 2005, has
        already sold over 220 cds, raising over $3000 dollars in orders to be
        donated to the cause. It is only one of a myriad of efforts by SCA members
        across the country and the world to give assistance to the people of Gleann
        Abhann, which was heavily damaged by the recent hurricane that hit New
        Orleans and much of the surrounding area.

        "It is heartwarming to see so much support for our friends and family in the
        gulf coast pouring out so quickly," said George Reed, Chairman of the
        Foundation.

        This new development means that if someone doesn't wish to purchase a
        Chateau Teafort album, they can donate 100% of their contribution through
        the Chateau Teafort Foundation.

        The Chateau Teafort Trio (George L. Reed (faheud), Purple Nicholson
        (Purple), and Kathryn Kibellus (Valencia)..) will continue to donate all
        profits from their debut album to assist SCA participants suffering damages
        as a result of Hurricane Katrina in the Gulf Coasts of Louisiana,
        Mississipi, and Alabama.

        The Album is Whippoorwill, by the Chateau Teafort Trio. a 2 cd set for
        $15.00 plus $2.00 P&H....for orders of more than 3 cd's maximum shipping
        cost is $6.00

        To order a CD or simply donate to the Foundation, make checks payable to
        George L. Reed and mail them to
        Chateau Teafort Foundation
        3617 Sommersworth Lane
        Indianapolis, IN 46228