August 11 demo

  • Nadezda
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 11, 2013

      I know a lot of people are prepping for Pennsic about now, but not everyone is, so I wanted to get this out, especially for any crafters that might have some things they want to sell.

      As mentioned in the recent Ayreton moot notes, there is a demo on August 11 in Jefferson Park in conjunction with the Jefferson Park Sunday Market, a farmers market that I manage. The intent is to be a jump off for the Chicago Park Districts 'Shakespeare in the Park' happening the following week. So for anyone who has Tudor/Elizabethan leanings, come show off your garb. There will be space for fighting of all hand to hand flavors ( I don't think we've quite enough room for CA/seige). Archers would be welcome to show off their equipment, we just can't shoot it.

      But here's the bit that came up in my board meeting Monday night (I'm also president of the neighborhood association that sponsors the market--yep, I'm a special kind of crazy),

      my press secretary:  "they're going to sell stuff, right?"

      me: "um...<blink><blink> sure" --after all, we have other craft vendors out at all the other markets.

      So, if you've got something, that would appeal to a modern crowd that's medieval curious, bring it out. Just be prepared with your own sales display. I wouldn't haul out a lot of big stuff, we'll be on a grass area that's a little awkward to unload to, but that's up to you--I could actually see some furniture items potentially being marketable there. And my press secretary is going nuts with this--I've never seen her so excited about anything.

      Any musicial performers interested in this --this is part of what I 'sold' to the planning staff-- you're more than welcome. (I believe Baron's Noyes is in--please confirm). I'm sure we can get a chance for everyone--just remember, we're sticking to period music (no filk/inside jokes, as the crowd won't get it).

      And...info booth. If you don't have anything else you can/want to do for a demo, we standardly have a general info table at the market, and I'm hoping to have a couple of people there. Speaking of which, anyone got a stash of standard SCA brochures/fliers they could have available for this? I'm a little pressed for time on this one.

      Anyone who want to scope out the space, we're having a market this weekend, it's the 2nd & 4th Sundays, and is located at Higgins & Long Avenue (5425 Higgins), just off Milwaukee Ave, 60630, near Lawrence & I-90. There are also pictures on facebook--look for "Jefferson Park Sunday Market". Market hourse are 9:30am - 1:30pm. This weekend will also feature a food truck called Toasty Cheese around lunch hour. More info at  www.jpna.net/fm. There is free street parking.

      Nadezda

    • Fern
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 15, 2013
        Oh, cool, someone wants to buy crafts at a demo!
        I will be at that demo, with armor. If someone *else* can sit at the merchant booth, I can donate some craft things for sale such as:
        Robin Hood hats
        Flower garlands
        Sachets
        Decorated folding fans

        Since I am not a regular merchant, I would be happy to donate any of my (hypothetical) merchant profits to some worthy cause. Maybe medical expenses for one of our SCA people?
        Yours,

        Fern

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 15, 2013
          hello: Nadezda is co-opting me to come to the demo.
          If you would like, I can 'sit table' for you,
          I have no problem collecting $$ if things are marked,
          maybe we can initiate a Baronial Travel Fund of some kind?
          Yours, Ardena

          "When You are Having an Attack of Life,
          don't Beat yourself Up! " Amy Woolard

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 17, 2013

            Thanks, Ardena!

            That's very encouraging. Hopefully there will be other stuff to sell besides mine. I won't be able to make very much stuff, but maybe other people will have things to contribute. I expect that pouches, hand-made soap, jewelry, etc, would all be good items for a Farmer's Market booth.

            Some who has a lot of inventory might want to keep the profits for themselves, which would be fine with me. Let's see what other people think.

            yours,

            Fern