Carnival Classes ONLINE!

  • Wendy Pastrick
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008
      The classes for the Ayreton Carnival are now posted on the website. We have classes in:
      Dance
      Calligraphy & Illumination
      Costuming
      Culinary Arts
      General Interest
      PLUS a Martial track!

      I have been able to accomodate everyone so far that submitted a completed form. If your class is not on the schedule, please make sure you submit the form - I *do* have a few more openings to fill if we have people to teach, so don't be shy.

      The martial classes should be listed shortly.

      I want to very sincerely thank everyone in advance for such an amazing turnout of teachers! We might want to consider having an Ayreton Community College or something if we can continue to offer such a wonderful array of classes for our populace.

      Yours in service,
      Jale
    • Hilton Kaufman
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008

         I was at the Evanston Masonic Temple earlier this evening and looked at the rental price list on the bulletin board. This might be for groups that meet there regularly who want extra usage, but it gives a starting point for negotiation. This is about the largest Masonic site in the area except for the Shrine temple in Addison . This site is not disabled accessible.

        The contact person is John Henry Brandenburg, (847) 673-4972.

        Holabird Hall (large hall on 2nd floor) - $150

        Doric Hall (small hall on first floor) - $100

        Dining room - $50

        Kitchen - $125

        A series of parlors leading to a library - $50, $50, and $10.
        The entire three usable floors - $350

        Cleaning fine - $50

        This would not be adequate for a major event with royalty, but could handle something smaller.

        Enoch

      • Wendy Pastrick
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 4, 2008
          Thanks for doing the legwork!

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 9, 2008

            In a message dated 3/3/08 11:02:33 PM, hkaufman@... writes:

             I was at the  I was a <st1>M <st1 earlier this evening and looked at the rental price list on the bulletin board. This might be for groups that meet there regularly who want extra usage, but it gives a starting point for negotiation. This is about the largest Masonic site in the area except for the Shrine temple in earlie. This site is not disabled accessible.

            Enoch... admittedly I am an SCAdian out of the past... but as a Federally registered Non Profit Tax exempt... should we not abide by ADA regs or risk the Status of the SCA should someone complain?

            I myself am in a wheel chair... and i feel badly that sites are not accesible, it seems as though only the able are welcome at some events.

            BLuntly, I think that's not overly chivalrous

            Tjukka the Guardian

            **************
            It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms, and advice on AOL Money & Finance.
            (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolprf00030000000001)
          • Drew Nicholson
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 10, 2008
              The SCA is a not-for-profit organization, and is exempt from the ADA;
              in addition, since we do not own the sites, we cannot be responsible
              for the state of the site on a construction level.

              That doesn't mean that we shouldn't attempt to take considerations of
              disabled SCAdians into account; it simply means that we are not bound
              by law to do so.

              --
              Qui Tacet Consentit
            • nadezda_zezastrizl
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 10, 2008
                FWIW Hinoch was following up on pricing at the temple at my request,
                and merely reporting back. After I spent countless hours a year ago
                trying to find an affordable+usable site, much less a compliant one--
                any info is appreciated. I'd been repeatedly told during that search
                that I should check with temple/lodge/etc. members for sites.

                We do try when possible, to be ADA complient as a courtesy to our
                membership--unfortunately that whole affordability+usability factor
                gets in the way. Things that were more usable, tended to be less
                affordable, or have restrictions that would have made an event
                impractical. I had a lovely site in Morton Grove, but we'd have had to
                use their caterer, for example, and not allowed *any* other food in.

                Hope springs eternal that the Heritage Centers grant that would have
                allowed them to complete the elevator to the Social center level gets
                reinstated or met in some other way, as this remains one of the most
                workable sites we've had for the price.

                -Nadezda