Skip to search.

Stiff Collar Testing

  • Chris Larsson (Hrelgar)
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 13 5:28 PM
      Hi all,

      I have completed some testing of bolts with stiff collars and have
      some favorable results.

      You can find the webpages here:

      http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Nordenhal/activities/guild-web/siege/stifffoamcollar/construction.html

      http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Nordenhal/activities/guild-web/siege/stifffoamcollar/testing.html

      http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Nordenhal/activities/guild-web/siege/stifffoamcollar/conclusions.html

      Take a look. Let me know if anyone has any comments, problems,
      suggestions, etc. Especially let me know if anyone might have a safety
      concern with this design.

      My understanding is this construction is not yet approved for use
      anywhere in the SCA.

      BTW, I'm not in any way suggesting that everyone is going to have to
      convert all their bolts over to yet another new design. Current tips
      are considered safe. This design should be much more durable and could
      be optionally converted over to as desired if approved.

      Hrelgar
    • Mark
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 14 11:59 AM
        As simply a Siege Engineer now, I would like to give my input.

        Based on the information given, I would tend to agree that these will most likely be as safe or safer than the existing pool noodle tips, as well as longer lasting. Based on the rules as I had written them, all but the version without the leather disk would meet the standards for tip construction (as set forth in the Siege Rules), and I would have no problem with them being used. (of course the final decision now rests with JP as he is in the hot seat now) I would say that this is but another tip design that could be used, in addition to other designs that meet the requirements as set forth in the Siege Rules under tip construction.

        I believe that Hrelgar has done an incredible job of researching and testing this design and should be highly commended for his efforts, and contributions to the SIege Community.

        Again please note that these are only my opinions.

        Quinn

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 14 1:07 PM
          Excellent write-up Hrelgar!

          - Rich