First season of ISWC comes to a close

  • Lord Caedmon Wilson
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 1, 2006
      Greetings.

      Yesterday, October 31st heralded the end of the first season of the
      Interkingdom Siege Weapon Challenge.

      http://mysite.verizon.net/interkingdom/iswc/main.html

      I have some scores to update. If you have scores not yet submitted,
      please submit them soon.

      --
      Lord Caedmon Wilson

      Oaken Region Youth Combat Marshal
      Oaken Region Thrown Weapon Champion

      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum
      saxum immane mittam.
    • tatiana@atlantic.net
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 1, 2006
        Greetings Lord Caedmon!

        I am going to be starting out our competitions at the first of 2007 down here in
        sunny Trimaris. I have been reading all the emails from your list. Thank you
        so much for taking this in hand to get us all organized.

        YIS,
        HL Tatiana Heinemann
        Kingdom of Trimaris

        Quoting Lord Caedmon Wilson <caedmon.wilson@...>:

        > Greetings.
        >
        > Yesterday, October 31st heralded the end of the first season of the
        > Interkingdom Siege Weapon Challenge.
        >
        > http://mysite.verizon.net/interkingdom/iswc/main.html
        >
        > I have some scores to update. If you have scores not yet submitted,
        > please submit them soon.
        >
        > --
        > Lord Caedmon Wilson
        >
        > Oaken Region Youth Combat Marshal
        > Oaken Region Thrown Weapon Champion
        >
        > Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum
        > saxum immane mittam.

        This message was sent through Atlantic.Net Webmail.
        Sick of pop-up ads and climbing prices?
        Visit www.atlantic.net to get pure Internet for $19.95/mo.
      • Marcus mac Pharláin
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 2, 2006
          In listings by Engineer, my name is spelled incorrectly.

          Mareus Mac Pharlaine Valfrekr East 50

          Should be "Marcus mac Pharláin". Can someone please correct?

          Granted, its a piddly score of 50, but I'd like credit where credit is due.
          ;-) Need more practice.

          Yours in service...

          Marcus

        • Mark
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 2, 2006
            Question for the group. Can an engine enter in both the type A and type B categories? In other words can a type A engine only firing single bolts submit a score as a type B engine? The reason I ask is because my type A engine has been shot both ways, and I do not want to submit scores in both divisions if it would not be appropriate to do so.
            Quinn

            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 2, 2006
              On 11/2/06, Mark <lordquinn@...> wrote:
              > Question for the group. Can an engine enter in both the type A and type B categories? In other words can a type A engine only firing single bolts submit a score as a type B engine? The reason I ask is because my type A engine has been shot both ways, and I do not want to submit scores in both divisions if it would not be appropriate to do so.

              If the engine is qualified for both, then I see no problem with
              submitting Type A & B scores with the same engine.

              -Caedmon
            • John
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 3, 2006
                Greetings from Trimaris, we are/were in the final steps of
                participation in on the IKSWC, and until recently, I had not noticed
                the dates for the "season". With those dates, Trimaris will find it
                difficult trying to participate giving that our off season is mid
                summer and our high season is mid winter. It does help that scoring is
                not limited to kingdom events. is there any reason we cannot have
                this open year round? say with the calender year?

                another question. is a full combat team required or can someone enter
                solo providing that they can safely operate their machine? Does the
                engineer(s) need to be in armor? No mention of this is made in the
                rules.

                Jonush
              • Lord Caedmon Wilson
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 3, 2006
                  "Is there any reason we cannot have this open year round? Say with
                  the calender year?"

                  If it would allow more people to participate, I could see fit to use
                  the calendar year as the season. Go ahead and shoot the scores. I
                  will continue to accept them to December 31st.

                  > another question. is a full combat team required or can someone enter
                  > solo providing that they can safely operate their machine? Does the
                  > engineer(s) need to be in armor? No mention of this is made in the
                  > rules.

                  The engineers do not have to be in armor, unless it is being done on a
                  combat field at an event and being armored is requested by the MIC.

                  All you need is the minimum requirements for the operation of the
                  engine. If the rules say 2 people for a certain kind of engine, then
                  2 people need to be involved, etc.

                  --
                  Lord Caedmon Wilson

                  Oaken Region Youth Combat Marshal
                  Oaken Region Thrown Weapon Champion

                  Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum
                  saxum immane mittam.
                • M Workman
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 9, 2006
                    I would like to get my household started in siege combat but am not sure
                    where to start.

                    What are some good places to find information? I printed out the siege
                    combat handbook for the rules and I have been reading them.

                    What are some good places to get plans, etc? I would really love to
                    build a trebuchet personally since most of the time you only see
                    ballistae and such on the battle field but I am definitely open to
                    suggestions.

                    Any sort of guidance would be appreciated!

                    Thank you,
                    Lord Tristan
                  • Lord Caedmon Wilson
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 9, 2006
                      If you build it, they will come.

                      Meaning, it might be easier to get the household involved if you have
                      a siege weapon to show them. It is easier to hook people that way.

                      -Caedmon
                    • microdaddy@comcast.net
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 9, 2006
                        I have the houses' interest in the subject, I was more asking the best place to get plans and such for siege engines.

                        I need to figure out HOW to build them and what everyones opinions are for which ones work best in SCA combat etc and why.

                        Tristan

                        From: "Lord Caedmon Wilson" <caedmon.wilson@...>

                      • rosalynmacgregor@comcast.net
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 9, 2006
                          Good Tristan,

                          I think you want the plans from Docmo Kincain. http://ballistaplans.com/

                          Yours,
                          Rosalyn MacGregor
                          (Pattie Rayl)

                          --
                          Find out how much God has given you and from it take what you need; the remainder is needed by others. -- St. Augustine

                          From: microdaddy@...

                          > I have the houses' interest in the subject, I was more asking the best place to
                          > get plans and such for siege engines.
                          >
                          > I need to figure out HOW to build them and what everyones opinions are for which
                          > ones work best in SCA combat etc and why.
                          >
                          > Tristan

                          > From: "Lord Caedmon Wilson"
                          >
                          > > If you build it, they will come.
                          > >
                          > > Meaning, it might be easier to get the household involved if you have
                          > > a siege weapon to show them. It is easier to hook people that way.
                          > >
                          > > -Caedmon
                          > >

                          > > --

                        • Jean Paul Pierrepont
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 9, 2006
                            If you are looking for a set of plans for a class B ballista, yes, Docmo's
                            is one of the better sets of plans. If you are looking for a Class A set of
                            plans, there are others. You have to do work to make a Class A ballista,
                            but it five to one, outweighs a class B. But that goes for any Class B vs.
                            Class A.

                            But you know that, don't you !

                            Soft smile
                            Jean Paul Pierrepont/JP

                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 9, 2006
                              ok, no problem. I am looking to start a seige crew in my Barony as I am
                              unable to fight due to injuries.

                              So assume I don't know a darn thing. Please define class A, B, etc. Can
                              you give me the basics or point me to a site for them?

                              -Rhys

                              --
                              ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::>

                            • rob moser
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 9, 2006
                                On 11/10/06, microdaddy@... <microdaddy@...> wrote:

                                > I need to figure out HOW to build them and what everyones opinions are for which ones work best in SCA combat etc and why.

                                Don't let me discourage you from your treb - because trebs are cool -
                                but since you ask about SCA utility...

                                Direct fire weapons tend to be more useful in the SCA than indirect
                                ones - at least in my experience. The sad truth is that we just don't
                                have enough walls that need knocking down. If you go with a
                                throwing-arm style device I'd try to tune it for a pretty flat arc
                                (for which you can get a lot of good advice from people on this
                                list...)

                                *stands back and ducks the expected deluge of examples of how useful
                                indirect fire weapons can be*

                                - rob.
                              • Lord Caedmon Wilson
                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 17, 2006
                                  Type A engines can fire one large projectile or 5 small projectiles.

                                  Type B engines can fire one small projectile.

                                  -Caedmon
                                • Andy Delchambre
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Nov 17, 2006
                                    Also try:
                                    http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/combat/siege/siege_engines_handbook.pdf

                                    The difinative authority in siege combat in the SCA ;)

                                    All the rules and regs reguarding siege. It also has a nice Appendix at the
                                    back for common terms and their descriptions

                                    Hope that helps.

                                    Aendru, Tinker of Darkhorse
                                    Barony of Rivenstar, Middle Kingdom

                                    --
                                    ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::>

                                  • Brian Lapham
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Nov 21, 2006
                                      Try:
                                      Trebuchet.com
                                      Maongonel.com
                                      thehurl.org

                                      Those are good starter sites.

                                      Doughal

                                      "The surest way to kill a hobby
                                      is to try to make money at it!" -Red Green

                                      Fowl Farms Mobile Mini's Petting Farm

                                      Catapults at:
                                      Mangonel.com/manuscript/
                                      trebuchet.com/registry/show.php/124
                                      http://www.thehurl.org/tiki-browse_gallery.php?galleryId=13

                                      >From: "M Workman" <microdaddy@...>
                                      >To: <SCA-Siege@yahoogroups.com>
                                      >Subject: [SCA-Siege] Getting started...
                                      >Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 06:33:46 -0800
                                      >

                                      >I would like to get my household started in siege combat but am not sure
                                      >where to start.
                                      >
                                      >What are some good places to find information? I printed out the siege
                                      >combat handbook for the rules and I have been reading them.
                                      >
                                      >What are some good places to get plans, etc? I would really love to
                                      >build a trebuchet personally since most of the time you only see
                                      >ballistae and such on the battle field but I am definitely open to
                                      >suggestions.
                                      >
                                      >Any sort of guidance would be appreciated!
                                      >
                                      >Thank you,
                                      >Lord Tristan

                                      Get the latest Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta version.�Join now.
                                      http://ideas.live.com