Re: Siege Tower pictures are up

  • Chris Larsson (Hrelgar)
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 1, 2006
      awesome... thanks for posting the pictures. Can I get ahold of the
      original size pictures?

      let me know if I get this right.....

      The base looks to be about 8x8.
      The platform looks about 6x6.
      platform joists and horizontals are 2x6s, although the one on the
      bottom back looks to be a 2x8..... maybe because you're expecting a
      lot of traffic over it?
      The corner upright posts are 6x6.
      ladder looks to be 2x4 treads and 2x6 uprights
      Other boards seem to be 2x4
      platform joists seem to be 1 foot on center
      platform plywood is perhaps 1/2"?
      axles look like say, 1" pipe?

      excellent design.... looks to be solidly built.

      It would be really cool to build one of these.... the only problem is
      figuring out how to get it to pennsic.

      Thanks for sharing the pictures!

      Hrelgar

      --- In SCA-Siege@yahoogroups.com, "Ingilborg Sigmundardottir"
      <rashley731@...> wrote:

      > Greetings all:
      >
      > For those interested in seeing the House Strongbow Siege Tower that
      > made its first appearance at the Estrella War, the photos of the two
      > major Siege Tower Building parties we had, both held at the home of
      > Master Quinn, are ready for public viewing.

    • Oskar
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 1, 2006
        Lots of people have storage facilities close to Pennsic, you might be able
        to disassemble it and store it on or close to site.

        The other possibility....

        It looks as solid as most caravans. Why not design it around a trailer?
        The Field axles and wheels could be stored inside for the trip back and
        forth, and for travel bolt it to the trailer with brackets. Not only would
        it make a really spiff trailer cover, but the storage inside for the trip
        back and forth to Pennsic would be massive. The only main problem would be
        overloading the trailer with stuff stacked inside. A car trailer with the
        double wheels both sides would make a perfect base. Graywolf has something
        similar for his Artillery Train. He gets six Arbalests, camping gear and
        more on the trailer for a road trip.

        Oskar in Lochac

        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 1, 2006
          It breaks down, actually. It is currently snoozing on its flatbead
          trailer, totally flat under covers. Looks quite non-descript really
          when not assembled.

          Takes 2-4 sturdy folks and about 15 minutes to set it up. Tough part
          is putting on the wheels, have to lift it up to do that. Next week we
          do a jacking system to make pivoting easier.

          ~Inga

          --- In SCA-Siege@yahoogroups.com, "Oskar" <oskar@...> wrote:

          > Lots of people have storage facilities close to Pennsic, you might
          be able
          > to disassemble it and store it on or close to site.
          >
          > The other possibility....
          >
          > It looks as solid as most caravans. Why not design it around a
          trailer?
          > The Field axles and wheels could be stored inside for the trip back
          and
          > forth, and for travel bolt it to the trailer with brackets. Not
          only would
          > it make a really spiff trailer cover, but the storage inside for
          the trip
          > back and forth to Pennsic would be massive. The only main problem
          would be
          > overloading the trailer with stuff stacked inside. A car trailer
          with the
          > double wheels both sides would make a perfect base. Graywolf has
          something
          > similar for his Artillery Train. He gets six Arbalests, camping
          gear and
          > more on the trailer for a road trip.
          >
          > Oskar in Lochac
          >

          > > It would be really cool to build one of these.... the only
          problem is
          > > figuring out how to get it to pennsic.
          > >
          > > Thanks for sharing the pictures!
          > >
          > > Hrelgar
          > >
          > > --- In SCA-Siege@yahoogroups.com, "Ingilborg Sigmundardottir"
          > > <rashley731@> wrote:
          > >>
          > >> Greetings all:
          > >>
          > >> For those interested in seeing the House Strongbow Siege Tower
          that
          > >> made its first appearance at the Estrella War, the photos of the
          two
          > >> major Siege Tower Building parties we had, both held at the home
          of
          > >> Master Quinn, are ready for public viewing.
          > >>

          > > Get medieval at Mad Macsen's
          > > http://www.MedievalMart.com/
          > >
          > > Sponsored by House Wyvern Hall, BBM, East Kingdom, SCA
          > > [Email to SCA-Siege-unsubscribe@egroups.com to leave this list]
          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Dan Smith
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 1, 2006
            rashley731@... wrote:
            > It breaks down, actually. It is currently snoozing on its flatbead
            > trailer, totally flat under covers. Looks quite non-descript really
            > when not assembled.
            >
            > Takes 2-4 sturdy folks and about 15 minutes to set it up. Tough part
            > is putting on the wheels, have to lift it up to do that. Next week we
            > do a jacking system to make pivoting easier.
            >
            > ~Inga

            Fair warning for you all. Next year I'm going to try an arrange to have
            Bjorn do the body check on the tower. Think Mongo times two.

            Daniel
          • Ingilborg Sigmundardottir
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 1, 2006
              Yipe. I'll make sure I'm not on top of it that time then. I barely
              noticed the body-check at Estrella, even standing on the top of the
              tower, just a very slight shudder. It took some good hits during the
              Saturday battles while the marshalls were using it though.

              I plan to take it to this upcoming May Potrero War--Mongo is staying
              home, right?

              ~Inga

              --- In SCA-Siege@yahoogroups.com, Dan Smith <dsmith2484@...> wrote:

              > rashley731@... wrote:
              > > It breaks down, actually. It is currently snoozing on its
              flatbead
              > > trailer, totally flat under covers. Looks quite non-descript
              really
              > > when not assembled.
              > >
              > > Takes 2-4 sturdy folks and about 15 minutes to set it up. Tough
              part
              > > is putting on the wheels, have to lift it up to do that. Next
              week we
              > > do a jacking system to make pivoting easier.
              > >
              > > ~Inga
              > >

              > Fair warning for you all. Next year I'm going to try an arrange to
              have
              > Bjorn do the body check on the tower. Think Mongo times two.
              >
              > Daniel

            • Dan Smith
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 1, 2006
                Don't know, I'll check. Now if you Really want to stress test it, I can
                arrange for Inverted to hit it on one side while Schenfrude hits the
                other side. Maybe with the Tuchucks <sp?> inside?

                Dan

                rashley731@... wrote:
                > Yipe. I'll make sure I'm not on top of it that time then. I barely
                > noticed the body-check at Estrella, even standing on the top of the
                > tower, just a very slight shudder. It took some good hits during the
                > Saturday battles while the marshalls were using it though.
                >
                > I plan to take it to this upcoming May Potrero War--Mongo is staying
                > home, right?
                >
                > ~Inga
                >
                > --- In SCA-Siege@yahoogroups.com, Dan Smith <dsmith2484@...> wrote:
                >

                >>rashley731@... wrote:
                >>
                >>>It breaks down, actually. It is currently snoozing on its
                >
                > flatbead
                >
                >>>trailer, totally flat under covers. Looks quite non-descript
                >
                > really
                >
                >>>when not assembled.
                >>>
                >>>Takes 2-4 sturdy folks and about 15 minutes to set it up. Tough
                >
                > part
                >
                >>>is putting on the wheels, have to lift it up to do that. Next
                >
                > week we
                >
                >>>do a jacking system to make pivoting easier.
                >>>
                >>>~Inga
                >>>

                >>Fair warning for you all. Next year I'm going to try an arrange to
                >
                > have
                >
                >>Bjorn do the body check on the tower. Think Mongo times two.
                >>
                >>Daniel
                >>

                > Get medieval at Mad Macsen's
                > http://www.MedievalMart.com/

                > [Email to SCA-Siege-unsubscribe@egroups.com to leave this list]
                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • graywolf
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 1, 2006
                  I have to admit, it is a handsome "Frankenkeep". Give that it is
                  appropriately written in the Scenarios, and it is the true Nightmare it is
                  intended to be. Mount a Ballista or Arbalest on it and you have "TANK!"

                  Mine in comparison will be about 1/3 the mass and mount only a single
                  Arbalest atop. Sort of a Panzer 5 "Panther compared to a fully functioning
                  "Maus" Panzer 7.

                  How does the "Frankenkeep" move over terrain? Quinn, mentioned the
                  inevitable Steering Problems. Have you any Ideas, yet? What of a Back Exit
                  Sally Port ala the Bradley? (Ya know your getting close to DaVinci's Tank,
                  already.) Again, I must say, it is a magnificent Infernal device.

                  Oskar, NO, my trailer isn't That Big and to get all on (5 Engines, Tentage,
                  Ammo, et al) I need to push the Weight Envelope or Live Naked Under a Tree
                  for the weekend (don't tempt me) to get the rest of the gear there. As it
                  stands Viper will be made to mount on the new Tower and I can lose a Chassis
                  but, the tower will take more space. My, in this case, Mini Tower of only
                  8' can be considered a Medium Weapons Carriage. "Frankenkeep" is truly a
                  mobile Fortification.

                  Vivats to all who created and man the Monster!

                  Graywolf
                  > Yipe. I'll make sure I'm not on top of it that time then. I barely
                  > noticed the body-check at Estrella, even standing on the top of the
                  > tower, just a very slight shudder. It took some good hits during the
                  > Saturday battles while the marshalls were using it though.
                  >
                  > I plan to take it to this upcoming May Potrero War--Mongo is staying
                  > home, right?
                  >
                  > ~Inga
                  >
                  > --- In SCA-Siege@yahoogroups.com, Dan Smith <dsmith2484@...> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > rashley731@... wrote:
                  > > > It breaks down, actually. It is currently snoozing on its
                  > flatbead
                  > > > trailer, totally flat under covers. Looks quite non-descript
                  > really
                  > > > when not assembled.
                  > > >
                  > > > Takes 2-4 sturdy folks and about 15 minutes to set it up. Tough
                  > part
                  > > > is putting on the wheels, have to lift it up to do that. Next
                  > week we
                  > > > do a jacking system to make pivoting easier.
                  > > >
                  > > > ~Inga
                  > > >

                  > > Fair warning for you all. Next year I'm going to try an arrange to
                  > have
                  > > Bjorn do the body check on the tower. Think Mongo times two.
                  > >
                  > > Daniel
                  > >

                  > Get medieval at Mad Macsen's
                  > http://www.MedievalMart.com/

                  > [Email to SCA-Siege-unsubscribe@egroups.com to leave this list]
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • rob moser
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 1, 2006
                    Truly, a thing of beauty.

                    How'd it fare? We generally have a problem with our static
                    fortifications that the towers just become deathtraps due to enemy
                    archer fire...

                    Did you have any rules for killing it? Large siege projectiles only,
                    I'd expect.

                    - robert gascard.
                  • kincain
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 2, 2006
                      Is there a braking system, or other plan to prevent it from rolling down
                      a hill? Or is the plan to add a battering ram to the front?

                      Docmo.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 2, 2006
                        One of our Strongbow fighters is mundanely an aircraft mechanic.
                        About 4 months ago, four sets of aircraft wheel chocks mysteriously
                        vanished from inventory at LAX. Not very period looking but they work
                        very, very well.

                        ~Inga

                        --- In SCA-Siege@yahoogroups.com, kincain <kincain@...> wrote:

                        > Is there a braking system, or other plan to prevent it from rolling
                        down
                        > a hill? Or is the plan to add a battering ram to the front?
                        >
                        > Docmo.
                        >

                        > Ingilborg Sigmundardottir wrote:
                        >
                        > >Greetings all:
                        > >
                        > >For those interested in seeing the House Strongbow Siege Tower
                        that
                        > >made its first appearance at the Estrella War, the photos of the
                        two
                        > >major Siege Tower Building parties we had, both held at the home
                        of
                        > >Master Quinn, are ready for public viewing.
                        > >
                        > >Everything from the original concept sketch by Master Quinn to the
                        > >nearly-finished tower are there. Other photos taken at the
                        Estrella
                        > >War are there too, and more are being put up as I get them.
                        > >
                        > ><www.argentlupus.com/housestrongbow>
                        > >
                        > >Go to the Photo Gallery section, and happy viewing.
                        > >
                        > >In Service,
                        > >
                        > >Ingilborg Sigmundardottir
                        > >House Strongbow, Caid
                        > ><www.argentlupus.com/housestrongbow>
                        > >

                        > >Get medieval at Mad Macsen's
                        > >http://www.MedievalMart.com/
                        > >
                        > >Sponsored by House Wyvern Hall, BBM, East Kingdom, SCA
                        > >[Email to SCA-Siege-unsubscribe@egroups.com to leave this list]
                        > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • rob moser
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 2, 2006
                          On 3/3/06, kincain <kincain@...> wrote:

                          > a hill? Or is the plan to add a battering ram to the front?

                          Oh yeah! Now I _really_ want one!

                          - robert gascard.

                        • Oskar
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 2, 2006
                            You might want to consider that a Siege tower, sporting a battering ram
                            (presumably with a fearsome head of some type) rumbling unchecked down a
                            hill into (through) a gate (and over anyone in the way of course) might be
                            judged to be "excessive".

                            Fun,

                            but excessive.

                            Not that I wouldn't hugely enjoy seeing it of course! Make sure you bring
                            the ShieldCam to record the moment for later publication.....

                            Oskar

                            >> a hill? Or is the plan to add a battering ram to the front?
                            >>

                            > Oh yeah! Now I _really_ want one!
                            >
                            > - robert gascard.

                            > Get medieval at Mad Macsen's
                            > http://www.MedievalMart.com/