How accurate is WinTreb

  • james_the_repentant
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 7, 2005
      Greetings,

      Some may know me also as Finnr Fra Birka, regardless, I must ask folk how
      accurate their experience has been with WinTreb. The reason I ask is that I
      have designed a Trebuchet using some numbers that WinTreb seemed to like
      and as I am about to commence building, I thought this would be a good time
      to ask and either forge ahead or abandon the project for now and redesign.

      So, again for clarity.

      Can WinTreb be trusted?
    • Mark
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 7, 2005
        To date I have not seen 1 treb that has been built to wintreb specs that has been able to exceed 42 yards. Running the numbers from the trebs that I have built that are shooting 80 yards the simulator gives ranges that are rdically different than what is being actually achieved. I personally do not trust it nor would I recommend using it for any SCA machine aplication. If others have had better luck with this program please speak up.
        I would be happy to give you the ratios and numbers that have worked for me, if you so desire.
        Quinn
        Some may know me also as Finnr Fra Birka, regardless, I must ask folk how
        accurate their experience has been with WinTreb. The reason I ask is that I
        have designed a Trebuchet using some numbers that WinTreb seemed to like
        and as I am about to commence building, I thought this would be a good time
        to ask and either forge ahead or abandon the project for now and redesign.

        So, again for clarity.

        Can WinTreb be trusted?

        Get medieval at Mad Macsen's
        http://www.MedievalMart.com/

        [Email to SCA-Siege-unsubscribe@egroups.com to leave this list]

      • Greg_Barbato@Ademco.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 8, 2005
          My Lord,

          WinTreb (as far as I am aware of) does not take into consideration any
          mechanical friction,

          or wind resistance - and that last one is a biggie in my book - since our
          ordinance has a large area

          as compared to a rock of the same weight. Here are my general numbers for
          dimensions.

          5 to 1

          -------------------------------^---------

          \ / \ | 1

          \____O / \ [X] Note: a 1 lb
          rock requires 100 lb CW (100 to 1 Ratio)

          ______________ /____\_________ The Sling is 2/3 of the
          throwing arm and the fulcrum

          Is high
          enough to let the throwing arm come back to

          A 45 deg
          angle.

          I hope this was useful.

          YIS,

          Brother Gregorio

          Aka Lord Gregorio de Sicillia

          _____

          http://www.MedievalMart.com/ <http://www.MedievalMart.com/>

          [Email to SCA-Siege-unsubscribe@egroups.com to leave this list]

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Mark
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 8, 2005
            What I am using for ratios is as follows:
            Throwing arm ratio - pivot to tip length is 5 times the pivot to counter weight length
            Frame height is 85% of pivot to tip length
            Frame length is equal to the arms pivot to tip length
            the counter weight hanger length is equal to the arms pivot to counter weight length
            Counter weight should be about 30 pounds per foot of overall arm length
            Sling length is 2/3 to 4/5 of the arms pivot to tip length

            My current treb has an overall arm length of slightly over 9 feet with a pivot to tip length of about 84" and a pivot to counter weight length of 17.5"
            the frame is 75" high from base to axle and 85" in length
            The counter weight runs about 280 pounds
            The sling length is about 70"
            I can consistantly hit 90 yards with a 1 pound foam filled rock ( or a 9" helium ballon filled with about 3.5 pounds of water)
            and about 50 yards with either 5 4tb rocks or 20 single tennis balls.

            JP can confirm all of this information

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 8, 2005
              That should have been 80 yards not 90 yards.
              Quinn
              I can consistantly hit 90 yards with a 1 pound foam filled rock ( or a 9" helium ballon filled with about 3.5 pounds of water)
              and about 50 yards with either 5 4tb rocks or 20 single tennis balls.

            • Jean Paul Pierrepont
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 8, 2005
                Yepper snicker snicker snicker

                JP

                _____

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 8, 2005
                  Amazingly (or un-amazingly), it looks like there is good correlation between
                  Quinn's ratios, my ratios, and just about

                  everyone else's ratios, that's the physics of it. Physics is just the
                  starting point though, - experimentation & 'tweaking'

                  will carry the day when it comes to squeezing those last few feet of range
                  out of it.

                  Gregorio

                  I Never met a rock I didn't want to throw.

                  _____

                  Some may know me also as Finnr Fra Birka, regardless, I must ask folk how
                  accurate their experience has been with WinTreb. The reason I ask is that
                  have designed a Trebuchet using some numbers that WinTreb seemed to like
                  and as I am about to commence building, I thought this would be a good
                  time
                  to ask and either forge ahead or abandon the project for now and redesign.

                  So, again for clarity.

                  Can WinTreb be trusted?

                  Get medieval at Mad Macsen's
                  http://www.MedievalMart.com/ <http://www.MedievalMart.com/>