Siege in An Tir

  • Andi the Destroyer
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 7, 2005
      So I've been reading the An Tir Book of Combat, and in the section
      covering siege engines, I came across this directive (under Section
      XIX, part B:

      5. Siege engines shall not be relocated when braced. Ballistas may
      be aimed while braced. (i.e. b allistas may be turned to face a
      different direction while braced but may not be relocated to a new
      position.)

      Having just come from the East Kingdom, where siege is a rapidly
      growing religion under the oversight of Archbishop Greywolf, I am
      accustomed to using a ballista built with Docmo's plans, adapted by
      Oskar the Bloody-minded. A picture of it can be found here:

      siege/vwp?.dir=/&.src=gr&.dnm=Galloper+at+Roses.jpg&.view=t&.done=htt
      p%3a//photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/sca-siege/lst%3f%26.dir=/%
      26.src=gr%26.view=t

      Or by going to the photos section and looking at the lone photo
      marked "Galloper at Roses".

      This machine is made for mobility, indeed at Pennsic it is used to
      follow the line into battle, with great success. I very much want to
      bring one of these really, really spiff machines to An Tir, but I am
      concerned that the above passage regarding relocating the ballista
      will preclude the use of such a weapon.

      Is there anyone familiar with An Tir and its siege regulations who
      can clarify this for me?

      Thanks for your time,

      Vasha
    • Andi the Destroyer
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 7, 2005
        It occurs to me that maybe I am misunderstanding the word "braced",
        is that the same thing as "loaded"?

        --- In SCA-Siege@yahoogroups.com, "Andi the Destroyer"
        <leafcarver@a...> wrote:

        > So I've been reading the An Tir Book of Combat, and in the section
        > covering siege engines, I came across this directive (under
        Section
        > XIX, part B:
        >
        > 5. Siege engines shall not be relocated when braced. Ballistas may
        > be aimed while braced. (i.e. b allistas may be turned to face a
        > different direction while braced but may not be relocated to a new
        > position.)
        >
        > Having just come from the East Kingdom, where siege is a rapidly
        > growing religion under the oversight of Archbishop Greywolf, I am
        > accustomed to using a ballista built with Docmo's plans, adapted
        by
        > Oskar the Bloody-minded. A picture of it can be found here:

        siege/vwp?.dir=/&.src=gr&.dnm=Galloper+at+Roses.jpg&.view=t&.done=htt
        > p%3a//photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/sca-siege/lst%3f%26.dir=/%
        > 26.src=gr%26.view=t
        >
        > Or by going to the photos section and looking at the lone photo
        > marked "Galloper at Roses".
        >
        > This machine is made for mobility, indeed at Pennsic it is used to
        > follow the line into battle, with great success. I very much want
        > bring one of these really, really spiff machines to An Tir, but I
        am
        > concerned that the above passage regarding relocating the ballista
        > will preclude the use of such a weapon.
        >
        > Is there anyone familiar with An Tir and its siege regulations who
        > can clarify this for me?
        >
        > Thanks for your time,
        >
        > Vasha
      • Mark
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 7, 2005
          That would be correct.
          Quinn

          <leafcarver@a...> wrote:

          > So I've been reading the An Tir Book of Combat, and in the section
          > covering siege engines, I came across this directive (under
          Section
          > XIX, part B:
          >
          > 5. Siege engines shall not be relocated when braced. Ballistas may
          > be aimed while braced. (i.e. b allistas may be turned to face a
          > different direction while braced but may not be relocated to a new
          > position.)
          >
          > Having just come from the East Kingdom, where siege is a rapidly
          > growing religion under the oversight of Archbishop Greywolf, I am
          > accustomed to using a ballista built with Docmo's plans, adapted
          by
          > Oskar the Bloody-minded. A picture of it can be found here:

          siege/vwp?.dir=/&.src=gr&.dnm=Galloper+at+Roses.jpg&.view=t&.done=htt
          > p%3a//photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/sca-siege/lst%3f%26.dir=/%
          > 26.src=gr%26.view=t
          >
          > Or by going to the photos section and looking at the lone photo
          > marked "Galloper at Roses".
          >
          > This machine is made for mobility, indeed at Pennsic it is used to
          > follow the line into battle, with great success. I very much want
          > bring one of these really, really spiff machines to An Tir, but I
          am
          > concerned that the above passage regarding relocating the ballista
          > will preclude the use of such a weapon.
          >
          > Is there anyone familiar with An Tir and its siege regulations who
          > can clarify this for me?
          >
          > Thanks for your time,
          >
          > Vasha

          Get medieval at Mad Macsen's
          http://www.MedievalMart.com/

          [Email to SCA-Siege-unsubscribe@egroups.com to leave this list]

        • graywolf
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 7, 2005
            I'd say, "Just don't move it Cocked and Loaded. Just Cock and Load at the
            Shooting Points. That wouldn't seem to violate any of their Tenets and is
            the way you SHOULD be doing it anyway... Hmmm?."

            Thus sayith I, The Archbishop(!?),

            Graywolf
            > So I've been reading the An Tir Book of Combat, and in the section
            > covering siege engines, I came across this directive (under Section
            > XIX, part B:
            >
            > 5. Siege engines shall not be relocated when braced. Ballistas may
            > be aimed while braced. (i.e. b allistas may be turned to face a
            > different direction while braced but may not be relocated to a new
            > position.)
            >
            > Having just come from the East Kingdom, where siege is a rapidly
            > growing religion under the oversight of Archbishop Greywolf, I am
            > accustomed to using a ballista built with Docmo's plans, adapted by
            > Oskar the Bloody-minded. A picture of it can be found here:

            > siege/vwp?.dir=/&.src=gr&.dnm=Galloper+at+Roses.jpg&.view=t&.done=htt
            > p%3a//photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/sca-siege/lst%3f%26.dir=/%
            > 26.src=gr%26.view=t
            >
            > Or by going to the photos section and looking at the lone photo
            > marked "Galloper at Roses".
            >
            > This machine is made for mobility, indeed at Pennsic it is used to
            > follow the line into battle, with great success. I very much want to
            > bring one of these really, really spiff machines to An Tir, but I am
            > concerned that the above passage regarding relocating the ballista
            > will preclude the use of such a weapon.
            >
            > Is there anyone familiar with An Tir and its siege regulations who
            > can clarify this for me?
            >
            > Thanks for your time,
            >
            > Vasha
            >

            > Get medieval at Mad Macsen's
            > http://www.MedievalMart.com/

            > [Email to SCA-Siege-unsubscribe@egroups.com to leave this list]
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Andi the Destroyer
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 7, 2005
              See, they get all forsooth and then I get confused. Thank you.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 7, 2005
                Right. I knew that. I did!