a very cool book

  • Ken Wilson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2004
      Greetings all,
      I just got my last xmas present in the mail from Amazon, and I
      thought it was cool enough to share. It's a book called "The Medieval
      Fortress; castles, forts, and walled cities of the middle ages". I
      haven't had time to read it in depth (just got it today and I'm at
      work), but it is profusely illustrated with both drawings and
      photographs, and seems to cover everything from basic castle
      concepts, to attacking and defending a castle, to the military
      structure of the various times, to specific castles throughout europe
      and some of the major battles as well. It seems to not be as in-depth
      about peripheral issues such as social and economic interests, but it
      does have numerous examples from places other than western europe,
      showing that england and germany weren't the only people making them.
      Once I get it well read, I will try and put an actual review up here
      for everyone.
      -Marcello, Artemisia