Pennsic

  • JimHart ConalO'hAirt
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 22, 1999
      We had 4 engines on the feild at Pennsic
      3 ballistas and a trebuchet

      We got to use them all in the Mountain Pass Battle

      We got together and talked after the battle
      Everyone had fun
      Discussed plnas for next year.

      More to come after brain kicks back in ....

      If you where there contact me

      Conal
      Lt. Deputy Marshal
      for Siege Combat, Midrealm
    • Bernard Theiss (Efron)
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 22, 1999
        Efron le Fey here. It's very hard to write, having returned from
        Pennsic and feeling tremendous culture shock and lag. I was not sure
        that taking the treb to Pennsic was the right choice, and the Pass
        Battle didn't work out quite right for a trebuchet. But when we
        finally got off our first shot on the northernmost Bridge and our
        fighters and the nearby crowd went wild with hooting and
        cheering...and then our load of three 4-TB rocks landed right in the
        middle of the far end of the bridge...oh wow what a wonderful feeling.
        I have rarely heard soooo much cheering at a Bridge Battle before.
        We eventually sent eight or so loads at them, varying the load
        between 3 and 4 rocks, depending on where the targets were on the
        bridge. When we learned that the enemy was building a new bridge on
        the other side of the bridge we were controlling, we turned the treb
        and lo and behold!!! perfect shots on the end of that one too. I am
        told we actually destroyed the far end of it, thus stranding an elite
        unit of fighters, which were then chopped up by javelins and axes. We
        were just ready to continue blasting the end of the original bridge
        when the final cannon sounded, but I feel we have now proven beyond
        any argument that trebs can control a bridge battle when used in
        cooperation with tactical heavy command!!! We have heard that many of
        our rocks killed many of their fighters. Three rocks were lost as
        souvenirs at the end of the battle, but one eventually returned to
        camp after having been cut open and examined by someone.
        Of all the rules and ideas we share on this list, I wish the other
        members of my crew didn't have to wear full gauntlets. It's very hard
        to reach in and around a treb with those things on, and it made it
        very time-consuming to try to get all the rocks to fit snug in the
        sling. I see no reason that they need full gauntlets, since I don't
        and can still grab my sword and shield if I need. I simply see no
        reason for them to be encumbered like that.
        I also hope that, now that the heavies know our ammo is safe and
        actually exciting, siege will become a part of the combat culture here
        in AEthelmearc. I heard no bad reports or feelings about siege at
        Pennsic 28, and am proud to recall the cheering we received as our
        rocks created dead zones right where the enemy would traditionally
        organize assaults. I think the strategy of siege has reached this part
        of the World at last!
        And now a few simple questions: What is the effect of hand-thrown
        4-TB rocks? I know that most fighters at Pennsic would assume that it
        would have the same killing power as one thrown by a treb, but I know
        that isn't right. How do we prevent the problem? Please come to
        agree that siege ammo should be a different color than hand or bow
        thrown ammo. (and please make that siege ammo color be yellow, since
        all my rocks are) One unit on the brigde had their own grey 4-TB
        hand-thrown rocks. Do the marshals have to prevent the fighters from
        gleaning siege ammo and throwing it back? How do we make it easy for
        the fighters to know how to take different kills from similar ammo?
        If anyone out there happened to get any photos of us in battle,
        could you send me a jpeg or two? I was a bit busy, and would love to
        have a record of our fight. And for anyone interested, the company
        that makes the photographs of battles and the arial views of Pennsic
        did a great one of us. It's number 510, but I can't recall the name
        of the company (it's so late on this long tear-down-and-go-home day.)
        Maybe when I find our copy, I'll also find a reciept.
        Take care, play fair. Rock and Roll is here to
        stay.

        Lord Efron le Fey,
        Hunter's Home Artillery Company,
        AEthelmearc
        lunawood@...
      • JimHart ConalO'hAirt
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 23, 1999
          Ok....
          Up-date from Pennsic from Conal

          I set up my ballista off the uphill side of the mountain in the Mountain
          Pass battle. I had fun firing it, but I had a problem with the "dead"
          fighters walking thru the safety zone. I got off about 17 shots before I
          stopped. I really could not tell how effective I was I had some problems
          seeing over the line.

          After the battle I got together with the other operaters and we talked
          about what had happpened.

          We concluded with an aggreement that the bridge would have been the best
          battle, and thinking that we might request this for next Pennsic.

          After the fun that broke out, in spite of all the prior planning, in the
          Bridge, I think we might consider sponsering a Battle of a similar nature at
          XXIX. A ressurection bridge or a single wall castle
          with a moat and gateway could be a hoot.

          For those that have not heard....
          ( forgive me if details are wrong....)

          During the Bridge battle, the East started building a two man wide bridge
          across the river. The Kings aggreed to let this continue and so...
          After a few minutes of this the Midrealm started a wall on the opposite
          side. At one point the Efron's trebuchet hit the bridge and a quick thinking
          marshall grabbed the bale that was hit and yanked it out of the bridge
          stranding some Eastern fighters. Everyone seemed to enjoy this extra element
          and I hope it it a sign of things to come

          I think the "no war point" idea made it a friendly war, but I
          thought there might have been a little less excitement about the battles
          overall. this might be just a side effect of it being the first time this
          had been tried.

          Anyone else have comments?

          Conal O'hAirt
          Lt. Deputy Marshal for
          Siege Combat, Midrealm
        • JimHart ConalO'hAirt
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 24, 2000
            I'm bringing my ballista back
            for the THIRD time

            and I'll happily come to a competition
            I was even thinking about sponsering
            a siege battle next year before the
            offical stuff starts.

            Anyone want to help try to put it
            together for this year?

            assalting one wall of a castle kinda thing
            make it a resserection battle allow archery

            Conal

          • Bernard Theiss
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 25, 2000
              It was said: "I admit, I'm not up to speed on what is or is not
              happening
              at pennsic, but.... I have yet to see a battle there that is worth me
              and/or
              unfair for me (as a knight and/or baron) to ask our people to travel
              that
              far to focus their participation on one small battle at the war."

              I know that it will take time for siege to become a standard part of the
              Pennsic experience. I feel that, if I am able to fight, and am a sincere
              engineer, I have a personal obligation to take the extra trouble to show up
              on the field with my treb. My crew fights in all the other battles, too,
              not just those with siege. I wouldn't expect them to sit it out if the treb
              was not invloved. But if we don't show, why should those that make the
              rules/scenarios include our engines? Only by being there can we claim a
              need to be included. Not bringing our engines because we aren't being
              included is slightly unproductive. If we can organize a small afternoon on
              the archery field, we will at least have a presence at War. Last year we
              had quite a nice crowd gather whenever we were working on the treb after
              supper. And I think the crowd/fighters' reactions when we fired the treb
              during the Bridge Battle was well worth the extra luggage and time it took.
              I wish, like you, that there were more scenarios that include siege and
              archery. But that won't happen until enough fighters have experienced our
              part of the game and they request we be included. We need to be there to be
              seen. They can't learn to play with us if we never bring our toys. The
              struggles associated with siege are part of the job. At least consider
              outfitting a large unit of Combat Archers. Even that hasn't been seen at
              Pennsic, yet.
              As to the discussion on actual competitions and battles at Pennsic, I
              would love to help as I can. I'm honestly not sure if I can make it to
              Pennsic, though. I have several health issues that are making it hard to
              plan ahead. I might find myself just sitting and watching from afar. If we
              could put events down for early in the final week, it would cost quite a bit
              less to get in. I know my family won't be camping this year (I live close
              enough to day-trip) so paying for the first week tends to be a waste.
              As a aside, to the issue of my living 50 minutes from Cooper's
              Lake...(and, if I ever get my woodshop up and running again)...if ever there
              is a need for some major repairs or design changes to your engines, we might
              be able to do the work here. I mean, if you bring an engine and find you
              forgot a section, or it just won't work like intended, maybe we can get it
              up to my shop and have a go at it. Right now the shop is mainly full of
              stuff stored out of the winter weather, but someday, somehow, it should be
              fully functional and devoted to the kind of work we engineers love. I've
              been a woodworker since '78, and there is little I won't tackle. (depending,
              again, on my health)...
              So, let's get together here and make plans for a day or two at War.
              Even just setting up and sharing ideas is a step.

              ~Efron le Fey~
              Hunter's Home Artillery Company
              Hunter's Home, AEthelmearc
              "a Blast from the Past"

              p.s. AEthelmearc War Practice will be held at Cooper's Lake on May 19-21.
              The past two years have been siege friendly. If you need several hundred
              practice targets, com'on down.
            • graywolf
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 4 9:21 AM
                Lords , Ladies, and other Gentles, (Okay, and us Dirty Handed Engineers)

                As Siege Coordinator for Pennsic, it would help me and Brun immeasurably if
                you could send me the potential roster of your Engines for Pennsic.

                I would like to see as many Engines as possible at Pennsic this year. We
                actually have the Field for our competitions from 12 Noon to Dark on
                Tuesday. Siege is finally being recognized fully at Pennsic and the more we
                show, the more we prove the reason why.

                Two years ago we had about 7 serviceable Engines at Pennsic, Last year we
                had 27! This year we could have 50 or more. Just picture it!

                Real Prizes, Real Events, and Inclusion in the Battles, there will even be a
                Pennsic Siege Banner for one team to take home for your Crew, Engine, and
                Group. This is
                a chance for Siege to really show and be respected. Let's get as many
                Engines there as we can.

                Come, Show off your fine work. Be part of the best year yet for Siege!
                Let's show the Society how good our Engineers really are.

                It is an Honor to be associated with all of you, whatever Kingdom or Group
                you are from.

                Included below is the current list of Siege Engine events and their rules
                for Tuesday the 17th.

                Inspections Sunday 5 PM to Dark

                Theoretically, all Engines should be on the Field and ready by
                this time. This is also the best time for Photos. The Range Area will be
                closed for 10 minutes to give people time to collect their “Memories”.
                During this time Marshals will do the last of the initial physical
                inspections. Due to the large number of expected Engines we will count off
                into groups and as each group is called just those crews will man their
                Engines and present their form to the nearest inspector. They will then
                launch 4 shots rapidly at Maximum Elevation and performance with their
                approved missiles. Engines that pass at this point will be marked and will
                not be manned for the rest of the inspection. Engines that fail will if
                possible be backed off the line and MINOR adjustments or repairs may be
                made. The rotation will continue until all engines have had an opportunity
                to perform. Then a retry will be given to those Engines that have been
                serviced, by group. Those that fail again will get one more try. Should
                they fail and need further service they will be retired and IF there is time
                and opportunity at the end of the day, they will get one last chance before
                being retired for the duration. Should you wish to appeal a retirement
                reversals must be approved by both Senior Siege Marshals for East and Middle
                Kingdom. No Armor Required.

                1200 - 1300 General Practice

                At this time the Range will be open again to general practice
                and tuning of Engines. During this time we are inviting the members of the
                Youth activities with their Marshals, Supervisors, Parents, et al to visit
                and enjoy an introduction to Siege while watching the Engines at work.
                Registration for the events continues until Noon. No Armor Required.

                1300-1430 Basic Target Shoot

                This event is pretty straight forward. The only variant will be
                if we have a lot of Engines competing. In that case we will have up to 3
                Cycles to allow all engines to shoot. There will be a maximum of 10 Engines
                to a Cycle and a maximum of 30 Engines total. In case of a tie in the first
                3 Places there will be a 1 cycle “Shoot Off”. No Armor Required.

                Rules of the Competition:

                1. All competing Engines and Missiles must have passed
                Inspection.

                2. All Engines will shoot from the same Base Line. You will have
                APPROXIMATELY 5 minutes to set up for your Cycle. Engines with limited
                mobility may remain on Line.

                3. Proper Safety Procedure be must be employed at all times.

                4. The Engine must be registered for the Competition and Crewed to SCA
                standards.

                A) Registration must include:

                i) Kingdom

                ii) Barony, Shire, et al

                iii) Owner

                iiii) Type (to allow for any
                Handicapping)

                B) Registration Sheet must be presented to the Head Score Keeper before the
                First Cycle.

                5. Decisions by the Marshal in Charge are Final.

                6. Targets

                A) Targets will be unevenly placed at distances of 30, 45, and 60 yards with
                at least 2 targets at each range.

                B) Targets may be passive or reactive.

                i) All Targets at 30 and 45 yards score 1 and 2 points
                respectively.

                ii) Passive Targets at 60 yards score 3 points.

                iii) Responsive Targets at 60 yards score 3 points for either side and 9
                points if the center (Engine) is hit.

                7. Shooting

                A) Shooting will commence on command of the Marshal in Charge and will
                continue until either 12 shots have been launched by all Engines or a time
                of 10 minutes has elapsed. A whistle will indicate Cease Fire whether
                during or at the end of the time limit. You may Load before the opening
                command.

                B) If an Emergency Hold is called time will stop and then recommence at the
                command of the Marshal in Charge.

                C) Any release of the firing Mechanism is considered a Shot no matter what
                the result.

                D) All hits are First Impact Only; No Bounces.

                E) No multiple Projectiles.

                F) Operators will be trusted to call their hits honestly to the Score
                Keepers as they will be serving more than one Engine at a time.

                G) While Missiles are being collected the next Cycle will set their
                Engines. Please be quick and remove your Engine from the Line as soon as
                safely possible.

                8. Handicaps

                A) Arbalests and Ballistas will have no Handicap.

                B) Onajers scores are doubled as long as all their projectiles are 250#
                equivalent Stones. Otherwise, they score as in “B” Engine.

                C) Trebuchets scores are tripled to account for Fire Rate and limited
                windage.

                D) Mangonels score as Onajers with 250# Rocks whatever they throw.

                9. Scores and Prizes/Awards

                A) Score Keepers will deliver the Score Sheets to the Siege Secretary at
                the end of this competition.

                B) The MIC and the Secretary will review the Scores that evening.

                C) Awards and Prize will be presented either above the Castle or at the
                Siege Tent (as announced) after the Castle Battle the next day.

                1430-1530 Indirect Fire

                This event will require a Spotter/Spy from each Engine, as you will not be

                allowed to see your Target. You will not even be allowed to even retrieve
                your first shot; that will be one of the jobs of your Spotter/Spy. Though a
                subversive, your “Operative” must be willing to honestly be your Score
                Keeper. For this event you may add a special piece of tape or other
                removable Mark to assist them in identifying you Missiles. If we have a lot
                of competitors, as I expect, you will need it. You will be allowed 5 minutes
                to set your Engines and will be advised in which section of the Castle your
                Target will be. Your Operative will be on the Hill above the Castle where
                they can see both your Engine and the Target. You will have 1 Ranging shot.
                (This and the opening shot will be a great “Photo Op” as every Engine that
                passed Inspection will likely be on the Line and launching all at once!)
                Your Operative will collect the shot and meet you OUTSIDE the Castle to tell
                you how far you were off target. You or your runner will be given 5 minutes
                to get your information, confirm “Signals”, and get back to the line. There
                will be a whistle at Range Clear to go there and a whistle for a one minute
                warning to get back. If the contact sent to the Castle is not back in time
                your Engine is retired for the rest of this event. You will have 3 minutes
                to reset. Then you will have 15 minutes to deliver up to 20 Missiles with
                guidance from your Spotter via signals. There will be 2 Target Areas and 2
                Engine Groups. There will be one Round only and it is open to all Engines
                that can field Full Crew and Spotter. Spotters need not be Siege qualified
                but, must be 18 years of age. No Armor required.

                Rules of the Competition:

                1. All competing Engines and Missiles must have passed
                Inspection.

                2. All Engines will shoot from the same Base Line. You will have
                APPROXIMATELY 5 minutes to set up your Engine. Engines with limited
                mobility may remain on Line.

                3. Proper Safety Procedure be must be employed at all times.

                4. The Engine must be registered for the Competition and crewed to SCA
                standards.

                A) Registration must include:

                i) Kingdom

                ii) Barony, Shire, et al

                iii) Owner

                iv) Type (to allow for any Handicapping)

                B) Registration Sheet must be presented to the Head Score Keeper before the
                setting up.

                5. Decisions by the Marshal in Charge are Final.

                6. Targets

                A) There will be two 20 X 20 Target Areas. One will be on either side of
                the Gate Area.

                B) These areas will be marked with High Visibility Tape on stakes marking
                their perimeter.

                C) The center of these Targets will be no more than 20 yards and no less
                than 10 yards behind the Castle Wall.

                D) Distance of the Engines will be approximately 40 yards from the front of
                the Castle Wall.

                E) Spotters are not Targets and must stay above a line marked at
                approximately 90 yards from the Engines and on the Hill behind the Castle.
                Their chosen point should allow a clear view of both the Engine and Target.
                Spotters may not cross the line for any reason during active range time.

                F) The first shot on the Target is not scored and is to be returned during
                the Spotter’s report to the Engine Crew.

                G) The Spotter will score each impact in the Target Area that makes its
                first contact within the area as 1 point. Bounces, rolls, and rebounds do
                not count.

                H) The Spotter may advise corrections after each shot via signals.

                G) No crew member other than the Spotter is allowed to see the Targets until
                after all shooting is finished.

                7. Shooting

                A) There will be a 5 minute setup time for engines to get positioned on the
                line and for Spotters to get into position. First come, First Serve:
                Engines must clear each other by at least 6 feet. This range may get really
                crowded. Be polite and courteous to you fellow Engines and Crews.

                B) At a Signal from the Marshal in Charge all Engines will launch one
                Ranging Shot.

                C) A whistle signal will be given and there will be a 5 minute time for
                Spotters to collect the shot and meet a representative of the crew outside
                the Castle Gate. Final clarifications with the Spotter and return of the
                shot are be done during this time. A whistle signal will be given as a 1
                minute warning. By the end of the 5 minutes the Spotter must have returned
                above the safety line and the Crew representative must be behind the Firing
                Line. Any team failing this will be disqualified.

                D) You will be given 3 minutes to prepare your crew and realign your Engine.

                E) At a signal from the Marshal in Charge you begin a 15 minute Shooting
                Cycle. 20 shot maximum.

                F) Any release of the firing Mechanism is considered a Shot no matter what
                the result.

                G) At the end of time or completion of maximum shots by all Engines, a
                whistle will end the shoot.

                H) You may, once the Range is closed, enter the Target Area, collect your
                expended Ammunition, and turn in your Score Sheets.

                I) If a Tie is perceived for any of the first 3 places, the tied Engines
                will then shoot a maximum of 10 shots, with the only signal allowed to
                indicate a hit or miss, alternating each shot from their ORIGINAL POSITION
                at the Other Target (the one they had not shot at) until the tie is broken.
                There will be no Ranging Shot or Spotter directing as the Target Areas will
                have been seen. Should both Engines continue to match scores the event will
                be considered a tie. East Kingdom will shoot last as the “Home Team”.
                Other Kingdoms will shoot in Alphabetical order and any same Kingdom Engines
                will “Flip a Coin” for order.

                8. Handicaps

                A) All Engines will be working within their normal parameters and there will
                be No Handicap.

                9. Scores and Prizes/Awards

                A) Score Keepers will deliver the Score Sheets to the Siege Secretary at
                the end of this competition.

                B) The MIC and the Secretary will review the Scores that evening.

                C) Awards and Prize will be presented either above the Castle or at the
                Siege Tent (as announced) after the Castle Battle the next day.

                1430-1600 “Wolf’s Parapets”

                Wolf’s Parapets is a “Hogan’s Alley” type quick shot challenge.
                It is especially designed for Ballista, Arbalest, and other quickly aimed
                Engines. It is equally adaptable to CA. The goal is to quickly sight,
                identify, and decide whether or not to deliver a telling shot to the Target.
                Gonners here will be confronted with both Hostile and Friendly Targets.
                Gonners will be given a short warning (about 5 seconds) as to where the
                target will appear and then will have a very short time to shoot the Target
                or not (less than 5 seconds). There will be 10 opportunities to shoot. At
                least 3 of these will be Friendly. Not shooting at a Friendly Target gets
                an automatic point. Hitting a Friendly Target costs you 2 points. Hostile
                Targets are worth 1 point. Yes, your Engine can earn 3 points for just
                showing up at the Line. Active shooting time will be quite short in the
                order of less than 3 minutes. You will be given one slight edge; deflected
                shots that bounce off the wall or Crenels and hit the Target count.

                I would like to have 2 shooting points and a target area on each side of the
                Gate. This will require 10 personnel behind the wall. Needless to say,
                volunteers will be readily accepted. If you run or work on an Engine that
                is not competing you are welcome to help.

                This will be a fast moving event and we should be able to accept 20
                competitors.

                No Armor is required on the Engines but, Head, Eye, and Hand protection will
                be worn by the Target Handlers.

                Rules of the Competition:

                1. All competing Engines and Missiles must have passed
                Inspection.

                2. All Engines will shoot from the same Base Line. You will have
                APPROXIMATELY 5 minutes to set up your Engine. Engines with limited
                mobility may remain on Line.

                3. Proper Safety Procedure be must be employed at all times.

                4. The Engine must be registered for the Competition and crewed to SCA
                standards.

                A) Registration must include:

                i) Kingdom

                ii) Barony, Shire, et al

                iii) Owner

                iv) Type (to allow for any Handicapping)

                B) Registration Sheet must be presented to the Head Score Keeper before the
                setting up.

                5. Decisions by the Marshal in Charge are Final.

                6. Targets and Signals

                A) A small White streamer will be waved at the site where a target is about
                to appear for about 5 seconds.

                B) A few seconds after the signal flag is lowered the Target will appear for
                about 5 seconds total. This is the Shooting Window for that Target.

                C) There will be 10 Targets.

                i) 3 “Friendlies” who will be non-threatening

                ii) 7 “Enemies” who will be seen to have malicious intent.

                iii) Some Targets will look exactly the same except for small changes.

                D) Shooting a Friendly will cost 2 points.

                E) Your not shooting a Friendly gains you 1 point.

                F) Shooting an Enemy is worth 1 point.

                G) Shooting a Target Handler disqualifies you!

                H) Any contact, even deflected, on a Target counts.

                I) Target handlers will not know which Engine is
                shooting.

                J) Which Targets will be Friendly or Enemy and their order will be randomly
                chosen between shooting cycles.

                K) A Red streamer will be waved to confirm a hit.

                L) There will be a short delay between Targets ( about 20 seconds) to allow
                you to reload.

                7. Shooting

                A) There will be a 5 minute setup time for engines to get positioned on the
                Line, between 30 and 35 yards from the wall, and for you to give the Score
                Keeper your Entry Form.

                B) Once the Range is clear Engines may be Loaded.

                C) At a Whistle signal from the MIC Shooting will commence.

                D) At the end of a pass of 10 targets on your Range your round is complete.

                E) Any release of the firing Mechanism is considered a Shot no matter what
                the result.

                F) The Range will be whistled closed and please rapidly recover you
                ammunition and clear your Engine from the Line for the next competitor.

                G) If a Tie is perceived for any of the first 3 places, the tied Engines
                will then shoot at the Other Target Line (the one they had not shot at)
                until the tie is broken.

                H) Recovering Missiles will only be allowed as the Second Engine behind you
                is setting up. This is to avoid excessive delays between shooters.

                8. Handicaps

                A) There will be no Handicaps.

                9. Scores and Prizes/Awards

                A) Score Keepers will deliver the Score Sheets to the Siege Secretary at
                the end of this competition.

                B) The MIC and the Secretary will review the Scores that evening.

                C) Awards and Prize will be presented either above the Castle or at the
                Siege Tent (as announced) after the Castle Battle the next day.

                1600-1700 Afternoon Break

                CA folks are welcome to use the Range and Targets for fun or competition so
                long as they supply a MIC from their Art.

                1700-? Siege Elimination Duels

                The Limit here will be 32 Engines. All Inspected and passed Engines have
                the opportunity to enter on a first come first serve basis. This would be a
                good time to have Friends. Crews will be limited to 6 per Engine. Crews
                directly running Engines my not carry Weapons. (Remember, the required Crew
                for your Engine.) Crew members moving to replace On Engine crew members
                must drop their personal Weapons. You will be allowed to add Combat Archers
                to your Team limit. Rules for the Archers will be detailed below. Why CA?
                This will both better simulate real combat and give an honest Equalizer to
                limited or non-mobile Engines. Archers will be required to stay outside the
                10 foot circle but, may not pass the front of the Frame of their Engine (see
                exception below).

                You will start 60 yards apart. Mobile Engines will be required to move 5
                yards forward after each Shot and may use limited Weaving ( remaining at
                least 20 feet from the boundary lines) with each advance. Archers will have
                an unlimited Fire Rate. Though they may not damage an Engine, Archer’s
                projectiles with be fully effective on opposing Crews. Any Crew dropping
                below minimum, without replacements, will be considered “Out” along with
                their Engine. Battlefield rules will apply with a slight variance. 1 250#
                hit is a kill, and 2 10# or 2 Bolt hits also kill. There is no limit on
                Fire Rate but, if neither Engine has been hit with Siege Munitions when the
                machines are 30 yards apart both will be eliminated. Hopefully, we will
                have 4 Lanes in operation and the eliminations should go quickly. A Banner
                will be awarded to the winning team to be retained and embroidered with the
                Engine name until the next year. Engine names will continue to be part of
                the Banner for its existence. SCA Minimum Armor for their respective
                Martial Art will be Required by all competitors. Marshals should wear at
                least Helmets and Eye Protection.

                Rules of the Competition:

                1. All competing Engines, Combatants, and Missiles must have passed
                Inspection.

                2. All Engines will start from their Base Line. You will have
                APPROXIMATELY 5 minutes to set up your Engine.

                3. Engines that can reasonably be moved will be expected to. “Lack of
                Wheels” is not an excuse for Class B Engines, except Mangonels.

                4. No weapons may be brought within 8 feet of the Engine and No combat
                activity other than Loading and Firing of the Engine will be allowed within
                10 feet of the Engine. You will be allowed only 1 warning.

                5. Pavises and Shields will block CA and small arms munitions. Pavises are
                destroyed by any Siege Munitions.

                6. Should there not be insufficient Combat Archers to fill all spaces on
                Crews, Archers may volunteer for multiple Crews under the following
                conditions.

                i) If more than one Engine they are attached to is scheduled for combat at
                the same time they must choose only one Engine to crew.

                ii) If Archers are simultaneously assigned to 2 or more Engines they may
                individually choose which Engine they will man.

                iii) Archers may not defect during confrontations!

                7. Proper Safety Procedure be must be employed at all times.

                8. The Engine must be registered for the Competition and crewed to SCA
                standards.

                A) Registration must include:

                i) Kingdom

                ii) Barony, Shire, et al

                iii) Owner

                iv) Type (to allow for any Handicapping)

                v) Crew amount and number of armed Crew

                B) Registration Sheet must be presented to the Head Score Keeper before the
                setting up.

                9. Engines may “Yield” at anytime by the Crew stepping away from the Engine
                and laying down.

                10. Courtesy is to be shown to all opponents at all times.

                11. Decisions by the Marshal in Charge are Final.

                12. Targets

                A) Your Targets are all involved persons and equipment of the opposing
                Engine, including the Engine itself.

                B) Relative materials may be destroyed and will effect Engine operation.
                In Example, if their munitions stock is hit it is considered destroyed and
                may not be replaced. This may only be done by an incoming Siege Missile.

                C) While Pavises my block CA and Small Arms Munitions they are destroyed by
                Siege Munitions. If a Shield is hit, both Shield and carrier are removed.
                If a Pavise is hit, it deflected the impact in its destruction and the
                soldier survived.

                D) All crew members are viable targets to Combat Archers.

                E) A 250# Rock kills an Engine with a Direct Hit, no bounces. All Crew,
                including Archers, are considered Killed with the Engine.

                F) 2 10# Rocks or 2 Siege Bolts, cumulative, kill an Engine with the same
                results as “12E”.

                G) Should Immobile Engines confront each other, and both cannot reach their
                adversary with Siege Munitions; their support Archers may advance in their
                place in 5 yard increments. The first to kill the others support Archers or
                Crew will win for the Engine. A tie removes both Engines from the
                competition.

                H) Losing Engines must be removed from the Field as rapidly as possible.

                I) Winning engines advance to the next round. Winning Class B engines may
                remain in place for the next round unless the next Engine they will face is
                also Class B. In these conditions the MIC will decide which Engine will be
                moved. Current non-combatants may assist in this move.

                J) Same Kingdom Engines may not defer combat without disqualification.

                13. Shooting

                A) You will need no more than 12 rounds of Ammunition on the Field for your
                Engine including 2 extras for inadvertently damaged Rounds.

                B) Engine Firing Rates are limited only by the speed of your advance. Only
                one shot may be made with each 5 yard advance. Immobile Engines may fire at
                their maximum safe firing rate and must launch at least 1 Missile for every
                2 advances of their opposition if reasonable. Hoarding Ammo will disqualify
                you.

                C) Intentional firing by anyone, into a different combat lane will cause
                immediate disqualification.

                D) Though there is no time limit on each pass, you will be expected to
                expedite the confrontation to the best of you and your Crew’s abilities.

                E) There is no Second Place. Second Place is “Dead”. Only your best is
                good enough. The winner will represent the best Siege Team in all involved
                Kingdoms.

                F) There will be no tie. If the decision is by a near simultaneous impact
                then the final decision will be made by the pertinent Marshal.

                8. Handicaps

                A) There will be no Handicaps.

                9. Scores and Prizes/Awards

                A) The Prize/Banner will be presented either above the Castle or at the
                Siege Tent (as announced) after the Castle Battle the next day.

                This should by a busy and enjoyable day. If we all work together it will
                move quickly and be a fine show for both the participants and observers.

                Times are not se in Stone. We have a lot to do and will need a lot of help
                from both Siege Folk and others. All volunteers will be greatly
                appreciated.

                Feel free to contact me at Graywolf@... should you have any
                questions.

                Please let me know what Engines you are bringinig so we may better plan on
                working with you.

                Thank You,

                Lord Graywolf the Gonner, Siege General East Kingdom
              • Siegfried
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 1, 2005
                  You just missed it.

                  The 'causeway' battle, is the castle battle, just with a twist.

                  They are making a bridge/causeway in front of the fort, just as in year's past.

                  Just this year, they are giving 'bonus time' the the defenders, if
                  they manage to defend the flag placed in the center of the causeway
                  for the first 8 minutes of the battle.

                  Personally ... I don't see that happening, and I think, personally,
                  that a smart commander is just going to start his forces inside the
                  fort anyway.

                  Why? defenders don't get res, as normal. Stick all your guys out
                  60ft or so from the wall, and you are killing yourself. (Literally).
                  Not only will the people just be dying much quicker, leaving you less
                  to 'fall back' to the fort anyway ... But you are losing the advantage
                  of the archers on the battlements doing damage, as the fighting will
                  be out of the effective range of our equipment.

                  So, essentially, I hope they will basically end up normal castle battles.

                  Siegfried

                  On 8/2/05, kincain <kincain@...> wrote:
                  > So I just looked at a class schedule for Pennsic and the word "Siege" is not in it.
                  >
                  > And I noticed in the Battlefield schedule that there are no Castle Battles save one, The Children's Water battle Sunday 2PM.
                  >
                  > My question is:
                  >
                  > Why?
                  >

                  > Docmo

                  > Get medieval at Mad Macsen's
                  > http://www.MedievalMart.com/

                  > [Email to SCA-Siege-unsubscribe@egroups.com to leave this list]
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • kincain
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 1, 2005

                  • WBFOUNTAIN@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 28, 2010
                      Unto the lucky ones getting ready to go to Pennsic - I wish you a safe
                      journey and an even safer return. I was so looking forward to seeing you kind
                      & wonderful folks at Pennsic. But last weekend my wife fell off her
                      ambulance at work and broke her ankle. This has forced me to decide between her
                      and the SCA. It only took a microsecond to decide - I will be at home that
                      week looking after her. Have fun and be safe.

                      Sgt Brun Canutesson
                      Middle Kingdom

                    • OTRobin@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 28, 2010
                        Will miss you and hope she has a quick and full recovery.
                        Nivah

                      • Diane K. Hauer
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 28, 2010
                          I wish her a speedy recovery. OUCH. not fun at all.
                          Take care of her and yourself.

                          ~Svan

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 28, 2010
                            You will be missed at Pennsic, but you definitely need to stay home and
                            take care of your wife. Best wishes and speedy recovery for her.

                            - Rich

                          • bluecat@neo.rr.com
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 29, 2010
                              Hey Brun- yes, we will miss you--- but I am glad you have your
                              priorities straight.

                              Dirk
                            • Oscar Van Loveren
                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 30, 2013
                                Does anyone know the day and possibly time for the Siege Tournament yet?

                                YIS, Goerijs the Unpronounceable.
                              • Richard le Hauke
                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 30, 2013
                                  Monday July 29, 2:00pm according to the schedule I got.

                                  - Rich

                                  Sent from my iPhone

                                  On Mar 30, 2013, at 9:15 PM, Oscar Van Loveren <oscar@...> wrote:

                                  > Does anyone know the day and possibly time for the Siege Tournament yet?
                                  >
                                  > YIS, Goerijs the Unpronounceable.

                                • Oscar Van Loveren 000724 recon
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Mar 30, 2013
                                    Thanks for the quick response! Is this "The" schedule, as
                                    in the whole war? Or something internal not ready for
                                    distribution. So far all I've found on-line is the heavy
                                    schedule. Trying to schedule some classes.....

                                    > Monday July 29, 2:00pm according to the schedule I got.
                                    >
                                    > - Rich
                                    >
                                    > Sent from my iPhone
                                    >
                                    > On Mar 30, 2013, at 9:15 PM, Oscar Van Loveren
                                    > <oscar@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > Does anyone know the day and possibly time for the
                                    > Siege Tournament yet?
                                    > >
                                    > > YIS, Goerijs the Unpronounceable.

                                    http://www.nni.com/
                                  • Richard le Hauke
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Mar 30, 2013
                                      This is on the published war point schedule.

                                      - Rich

                                      Sent from my iPhone

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Mar 30, 2013
                                        Duh! See it now. Thanks.