Re: Call for Moderators

  • Robert W. Curtice
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 28, 1999
      Macsen,
      I would not mind being a moderator for the SCA-Siege List. Although my
      current position as SCA Siege Marshal may make this a potential conflict of
      interest. I would not wish anyone accusing me of barring them from the
      discussion because I did not agree with some opinion they had. Otherwise I
      am online and actively involved with the Siege List.
      Also, I did not notice a mention of a listserver address for unsubscribe
      commands. Several of the subscribers do not have internet access, and would
      be unable to remove by that method. I appreciated the note you had at the
      bottom of the messages describing how to unsubscribe, even though it seemd
      to be completely ignored at times! <grins>

      Lord Robert of Vinhold
      SCA Siege Marshal, etc.

      At 12:06 PM 7/31/99 -0400, you wrote:
      >From: "Bob & Nancy Upson" <wyvern@...>
      >
      >I will be taking applications by email to wyvern@... for
      >new moderators for this list. I need people who love the sport, have
      >good web access, and who get online frequently. Lastly, near
      >endless patience is a must -- hopefully by selecting 3 to 5 people
      >as moderators they can get by on less patience per moderator... =)
      >
      >Macsen

      >Create a list for FRIENDS & FAMILY...
      >...and YOU can WIN $100 to Amazon.com. For details, go to
      >http://www.onelist.com/info/onereachsplash3.html

      Check out my website! www.internetaffilliates.net/rsc
    • Bob & Nancy Upson

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1, 1999
          > I would not mind being a moderator for the SCA-Siege List. Although my
          > current position as SCA Siege Marshal may make this a potential conflict
          > of interest. I would not wish anyone accusing me of barring them from the
          > discussion because I did not agree with some opinion they had. Otherwise I
          > am online and actively involved with the Siege List.

          You're in -- if you are ever worried about an apparent appearence of
          conflict of interest, you can always defer to another moderator. I'll
          write again personally with details soon.

          > Also, I did not notice a mention of a listserver address for unsubscribe
          > commands. Several of the subscribers do not have internet access, and

          I assume you mean they don't have web access -- if they didn't
          have internet access they wouldn't have email... ;) Since you don't
          ever have to personally log on to OneList's web site (excpet for
          moderators), this shouldn't be too much of a problem for most
          people.

          One of the reasons I choose OneList was the ease of
          unsubscribing. It can be accomplished automatically in many
          mailers simply by clicking on a subscription info header that
          appears at the top of each message. For those people using
          mailers that don't recognize this method, just write to SCA-Siege-
          unsubscribe@onelist.com -- no message or commands are needed.

          > would be unable to remove by that method. I appreciated the note you had
          > at the bottom of the messages describing how to unsubscribe, even though
          > it seemd to be completely ignored at times! <grins>

          It wouldn't hurt to add one to the current tag lines -- even though it'll
          be redundant on many mailers. I'll do so soon. =)

          Macsen
        • John Edgerton
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 1, 1999
            On Sun, 1 Aug 1999, Bob & Nancy Upson wrote:

            Misc deleted

            > One of the reasons I choose OneList was the ease of
            > unsubscribing. It can be accomplished automatically in many
            > mailers simply by clicking on a subscription info header that
            > appears at the top of each message. For those people using
            > mailers that don't recognize this method, just write to SCA-Siege-
            > unsubscribe@onelist.com -- no message or commands are needed.

            Misc deleted
            For those that do not have web access, how does one subscripe by email? I
            need to update the informaion I send out and also post on the Rialto.

            Jon
          • Robert L Brunnemer
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 1, 1999
              Hallo!!!

              Macsen said:
              <<< if they didn't have internet access they wouldn't have email... ;)>>>

              Hey there is only Juno! That is what I use. And if I did have internet
              access. I would moderate some of the lists. I will mail you Macsen when
              I get access, and if there are any that I am on that still need a
              moderator than I will do that for you. (I might get access in about a
              month, depends on if I get the job at the hardware store or not.)

              Have a nice day!!!
              Robert
              Hugewheels@...
              Tha mi a'fluich mi kilt!!!

            • Bob & Nancy Upson
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 1, 1999
                > For those that do not have web access, how does one subscripe by email? I
                > need to update the informaion I send out and also post on the Rialto.

                I'm not entirely sure it's possible to do so directly although I'm still
                looking into it. It *is* possible for either (a) somebody who does
                have web access to sign them up, or, (b) for a moderator to add
                them directly to the list.

                Macsen
              • Bob & Nancy Upson
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 1, 1999
                  > > For those that do not have web access, how does one subscripe by email?
                  > > I need to update the informaion I send out and also post on the Rialto.

                  Update: I have just confirmed that you can subscribe entirely by
                  email by sending to SCA-Siege-subscribe@onelist.com (use the
                  same format for any other list there)

                  (Note, if you use this method and don't already have a OneList
                  account, you will recieve a random password in your email
                  confirmation message. Be sure to save it as you will need it if you
                  visit the OneList website to use the other features found there.
                  Remember that you need only ever visit the website if you want to
                  use the OneList "extras.")

                  Macsen
                • LDoughal@xxx.xxx
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 1, 1999
                    So what does it take to be a moderator? Do I have to spend a lot of time
                    on-line? or is it just perusing through the e-mails?

                    Doughal
                  • John Edgerton
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 2, 1999
                      On Sun, 1 Aug 1999, Bob & Nancy Upson wrote:

                      > From: "Bob & Nancy Upson" <wyvern@...>
                      >
                      > > For those that do not have web access, how does one subscripe by email? I
                      > > need to update the informaion I send out and also post on the Rialto.
                      >
                      > I'm not entirely sure it's possible to do so directly although I'm still
                      > looking into it. It *is* possible for either (a) somebody who does
                      > have web access to sign them up, or, (b) for a moderator to add
                      > them directly to the list.
                      >
                      > Macsen

                      When you have the details on that please let me know.

                      Thanks

                      Jon
                    • John Edgerton
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 2, 1999
                        On Sun, 1 Aug 1999, Bob & Nancy Upson wrote:

                        > From: "Bob & Nancy Upson" <wyvern@...>
                        >
                        > > > For those that do not have web access, how does one subscripe by email?
                        > > > I need to update the informaion I send out and also post on the Rialto.
                        >
                        > Update: I have just confirmed that you can subscribe entirely by
                        > email by sending to SCA-Siege-subscribe@onelist.com (use the
                        > same format for any other list there)

                        What is the format for any other list there?

                        Jon

                        > (Note, if you use this method and don't already have a OneList
                        > account, you will recieve a random password in your email
                        > confirmation message. Be sure to save it as you will need it if you
                        > visit the OneList website to use the other features found there.
                        > Remember that you need only ever visit the website if you want to
                        > use the OneList "extras.")
                        >
                        > Macsen

                      • Bob & Nancy Upson
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 2, 1999
                          > > Update: I have just confirmed that you can subscribe entirely by
                          > > email by sending to SCA-Siege-subscribe@onelist.com (use the
                          > > same format for any other list there)
                          >
                          > What is the format for any other list there?

                          <nameof thelist>-subscribe@...

                          For example, SCA-Siege-subscribe@..., SCA-Archery-
                          subscribe@..., etc.

                          The same format also works for leaving a list:

                          Macsen