Pennsic War XLII Siege Marshal Event Report

  • Diccon de Reinport
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 9 10:28 PM
      For anyone who is interested, here is my official report as SMiC of
      Pennsic War 42.

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 10 4:35 AM
        If a lowly Marshal-in-Training might offer up some ideas with regards to
        the Siege war point...

        One thing I saw from behind the fort was that wind was a significant
        factor this year.

        Last year, there was a lot of "hits" on the ground targets, but as I
        recall there was very little to no wind then. This year, there was a
        significant wind from left to right (as viewed by the siege crews) that
        was drastically increasing the difficulty.

        Could flags be added to the fort wall during this competition to help
        crews gauge wind direction and strength?

        Another thought would be to allow all engines a set of ranging shots,
        not just the trebuchet. Crew spotters could be allowed for this. Let
        each engine fire one shot at a named target with crew spotter on the
        wall. Spotter reports result, crew adjusts and fires a second shot.
        Spotter comes back and reports on that, and then the competition firing
        begins, with Marshal spotting as before.

        Another idea to encourage the crews to spread their shots out would be
        to limit the number of hits the targets on the wall can take in a given
        round. Give them a 5-hit limit for the wall targets, then they'd have
        to try shooting over the wall. Sort of like the advancing man shoot in
        archery (if I'm remembering that right).

        I would like to commend Diccon on the decision to have all crews inspect
        the field at once at the beginning...that made the entire thing seem to
        run faster and more smoothly than the year before.

        Humbly,
        Wormwood

        On 8/10/2013 1:28 AM, Diccon de Reinport wrote:

        > For anyone who is interested, here is my official report as SMiC of
        > Pennsic War 42.

      • Tracy Kelly
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 10 8:18 AM
          I am completely new to siege engines and to this group so forgive me I am speaking out of turn. I was at Pennsic XLII, and was excited to see a class in siege engines offered for Friday morning at 8:30 am of Peace week. I was promptly there along with seven other interested potentials and the instructor never showed, we waited for more than 30 min. Will there be another opportunity to take the class soon?

          Sincerely,
          Grace

          Sent from my iPad

        • Chuck Kaun
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 10 1:36 PM
            Depending upon your kingdom and their requirements, there may or may not be a class per se. Your best bet is to go to the sca.org website and hunt about until you find the siege handbook and supplemental handbooks and read up on them. Then go to your home kingdom and find your kingdom siege marshal or missile marshal and contact them for more information.

            If you have any more questions, feel free to post here or email me

            Karl Thorgeirsson
            Deputy missile marshal for
            Siege weapons
            Ansteorra

            Sent from my iPhone

          • Taranach McLeod
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 10 9:29 PM
              Greetings Grace,

              First I must ask which Kingdom you hail from as that would determine the
              right person to contact. The next is to repeat the suggestion that Karl
              made in downloading and reading the Society Siege rules and supplements as
              most Kingdoms follow that baseline fairly closely with only minor
              variations.

              Let us know if you have any further questions and we will help you however
              we can.

              Taranach McLeod
              �thelmearc Deputy Siege Brigadier
              Shadowclans Eastern Outpost
              Creator of fantastic Sci-Fi and Medieval wonders
              "Melior morior in nostrum pedis quam inservio in nostrum genua."