Pennsic 42 report

  • Roderick McKraken
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 4, 2013
      Herein follows a report for Pennsic 42. If the details are a bit vague (or
      wildly inaccurate) please feel free to add some clarification.

      The weather was fantastic this year with highs in the mid 70s. Those who
      didn't go really missed a good war.

      There were 22 siege engines that passed inspection. All were ballistae
      except for one trebuchet, the Bog Infernal Machine (BIM) from Aethelmarc. I
      brought 2 ballistae, an Ironwolf engine, the Cormac, and one of the red
      Shadowclan engines. The Dark Horde brought 3. Cedric and Baron Alexander
      each brought a ballista for the Midrealm. The East Kingdom had several and
      so did Aethelmarc.

      Both Aethelmarc and Atlantia allied with the East Kingdom. The East Kingdom
      won the war by a wide margin.

      There was one war point for siege engines. It was a target shoot. We had 2
      minutes to shoot up to 12 bolts at a choice of several different targets
      worth either 10 or 25 points. This was one of the few war points that the
      Midrealm won. Duke Sir Cristopher of Aethelmarc had high score overall with
      115 points. Cedric of the Midlands (Illinois) had high score for the
      Midrealm at 100 points. Both a Dark Horde machine and my red engine scored
      90 points. I dropped into 5th place this year at 80 points with my Ironwolf
      engine, the Cormac. I had high score last year.

      Overall score this year was fairly close at 390 to 325 in favor of the
      Midrealm. Scores between years cannot be compared because the targets and
      scoring was different. I noticed that everyone had more accurate bolts this
      year with a lot more spin on them in flight.

      Only Duke Cristopher and Cedric got off 12 shots in 2 minutes. I got off 10
      and my other crew got off 9 with the red engine.

      With me on the Cormac was Dwynn of Ironwolf and Eginolf of Talonvale. On
      Shadowclan 24 was Finnian and Octavio of Ironwolf and Titus of Talonvale.
      Crewing with Cedric was Fransiscus of Talonvale.

      There may have been siege engines in the field battle, but I wouldn't know.
      I don't shoot siege engines in field battles. My engines are heavy, and
      they are not pivot mounted.

      On Thursday, Siege was allowed in the Tower battle, a resurrection battle.
      In addition to several large gates in the towers (marked with hay bales),
      there were large gates in the walls as well. Fighters from the East broke
      through twice and killed me and my engines. My other crew members grabbed
      their weapons and fought while I made the engine safe and resurrected it.

      Resurrection battles frequently become line combat, which can make for
      difficult shooting for the siege engineers. You need to shoot over your
      line and hit the opposing line of fighters, which are 10 to 15 feet in front
      of yours. This can be a hard shot. Fortunately, the Midrealm lines were
      thin and I could shoot through gaps in them. I lost count of the East
      Kingdom fighters I killed, and only killed a Midrealm fighter once. My
      other engine, crewed by the Talonvale engineers also did well, but hit
      Ironlance in the back a couple of times. One engine on the Midrealm side
      was asked to stop shooting because of friendly fire. Not to be outdone, an
      East Kingdom engine shot their own king in the back.

      The bridge battle on Friday offered better shooting lanes. There were 5
      bridges with plenty of room between them. We placed our engines between the
      bridges were we could see the near side of the opposing force on the bridge.
      Scenario rules prevented us from advancing any closer than 50 feet from the
      near end of the bridge. The bridges were 90 feet long. This was not a
      resurrection battle, so each hit really counted. There were 5 or 6 engines
      on each side in this battle. There were 5 bridge battles that lasted less
      than 15 minutes each. Both my engines got 10 to 20 kills per battle, but
      that failed to win it for the Midrealm.

      The Kings, in their infinite wisdom, allowed siege in all 5 of the bridge
      battles. For that I am very grateful. We decimated the troops advancing
      across the bridges. The East broke through every time at the end of the
      battles. When they did, it was with a yell of "get the siege engines!"

      Roderick McKraken

      "There was a point to this story, but it has temporarily escaped the
      chronicler's mind."

      -- Douglas Adams, "So Long and Thanks for all the Fish"

    • Oscar Van Loveren 000724 recon
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 5, 2013
        Greetings,

        Everything Roderick said,

        We were on the East side with the dark brown highly mobile
        arbalest with the wooden ammo cart, adorned with the House
        Serpentius cobra and we too kicked butt. We were between
        bridge one and two and softened up the Chux (who actually
        took the shots) and House Dark Moon. One time the Chux did
        break through and during our hasty retreat we too heard the
        cry "kill that siege"..... Fortunately the next thing heard
        was the canon.

        And Roderick, thanks for the string. Still owe you a beer.

        YIS Lord Goerijs the Unpronounceable.

        http://www.nni.com/
      • cnesbit253@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 5, 2013
          Aethelmearc had six ballistae and one trebuchet. Three from Border Watch and three from Clan Yama Kaminari.

          The war point was great fun. My crew shot the high score in a tight competition. THL Elaine and Baron Langdon were the other crew members with me.

          The battles were awesome. Tower was difficult due to shooting over our own lines. The bridge battle was perfect. We were easily able to shoot angles and have a significant impact on the outcome since it was non resurrection. We were getting off about 20 to 30 shots in each bridge battle.

          We wanted to thank all of the marshals for their time doing inspections and marshalling battles. Your generosity is greatly appreciated.

          Duke Christopher
          Aethelmearc

        • bluecat@neo.rr.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 5, 2013
            Thanks for the overall news from your POV Rod.

            However - I'd like to hear the 'official' report from Lord Diccon who was in charge of Siege for Pennsic, as
            it is his right to make that report.

            Dirk Edward of Frisia
            Middle
          • Roderick McKraken
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 5, 2013
              I too am truly grateful to the marshals. Lord Diccon de Reinport of the
              Midrealm was siege marshal in charge. Richard le Hauke of the East was
              helping him. Svanhilde, the Society deputy Earl Marshal for Siege, was also
              marshalling. So was Baron Alexander of the Midrealm, Taranach McLeod of
              Aethelmarc, and others that I am grieved that I can't remember. We were
              truly blessed with having a veteran marshalate that ran the siege events
              smoothly this Pennsic.

              Roderick

> [...]

              select, input, textarea { font: 99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif; }
              #ygrp-mlmsg pre, code { font:115% monospace; *font-size:100%; } #ygrp-mlmsg
              * { line-height: 1.22em; } #ygrp-mlmsg #logo { padding-bottom: 10px; }
              #ygrp-msg p a { font-family: Verdana; } #ygrp-msg p#attach-count span {
              color: #1E66AE; font-weight: 700; } #ygrp-reco #reco-head { color: #ff7900;
              font-weight: 700; } #ygrp-reco { margin-bottom: 20px; padding: 0px; }
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a { font-size: 130%; text-decoration: none; }
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov li { font-size: 77%; list-style-type: square; padding: 6px
              0; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul { margin: 0; padding: 0 0 0 8px; } #ygrp-text {
              font-family: Georgia; } #ygrp-text p { margin: 0 0 1em 0; } #ygrp-text tt {
              font-size: 120%; } #ygrp-vital ul li:last-child { border-right: none

              Links
            • Oscar Van Loveren 000724 recon
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 6, 2013
                And, MAJOR Vivats to Lord Diccon for his decision to allow
                us to retrieve/inspect between bridge battles. It appears
                some more common sense is returning to this process....

                http://www.nni.com/