Re: [SCA-Siege] Prods for siege weapons.

  • Richard Zehrung
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2013
      A Docmo uses a repair leaf.

      Sent from my iPad

      On Mar 1, 2013, at 7:03, "tillfirehorn" <tillandsteph@...> wrote:

      > Hello Till Here,
      >
      > Dose anyone have specs on a working Prod.
      > Materials,sizes, strengths and ranges?
      > Might build something cool this summer.
      > On the fact finding portion on that process.
      > I have two designs in mind. One would need to supply
      > power to the arm of the device usually torsion driven.
      > The other is more in line with an arbalist with some
      > different design elements.
      >
      > In Service,
      > Lord Till Firehorn Campbell

    • Chris
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2013
        This was just talked about a little while ago... Here's some info I dredged up from my old post:

        I got springs at the local Fleet Pride truck parts place. Look around for truck
        parts companies in your area. Ask for spring repair plates. They are 2.5" wide
        and .323" thick. The 30x30 means 30" on each side of the center (some are not
        symmetrical... don't get those).

        Here's an example on the internet:

        http://www.autoparts2020.com/rsdev/part_detail.jsp?PART_HDR_ID=577554

        Each one is made slightly differently so some will shoot farther than others. You will need to adjust the draw length to compensate.

        You can actually use a thinner part but it will have limited range.

        Hrelgar

        --- In SCA-Siege@yahoogroups.com, "tillfirehorn" <tillandsteph@...> wrote:

        > Hello Till Here,
        >
        > Dose anyone have specs on a working Prod.
        > Materials,sizes, strengths and ranges?
        > Might build something cool this summer.
        > On the fact finding portion on that process.
        > I have two designs in mind. One would need to supply
        > power to the arm of the device usually torsion driven.
        > The other is more in line with an arbalist with some
        > different design elements.
        >
        > In Service,
        > Lord Till Firehorn Campbell

      • Oskar der Drachen
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2013
          There are two ways you can go about finding the power generator you need.  The first way is to look around for something as close to what you want to build as possible, measure and copy.   The best way in my opinion is to design for and start with way more than you think you need and then scale back the power element to what is required.  That way your engineering is all geared towards the "stronger than you  need" solution.  Good safety sense.  Measure and Copy leaves you at the mercy of what the Other Guy considers to be safe.

          An example would be to pick a spring (if that is what you are using) that seems to be on the big side.  Design into your weapon a slot and blocks you can use to vary your draw length, and do your trials and hardware building with the spring set to the "highest" power.  When you have that completed look at the performance of the weapon, and scale back the power till you have the performance right on or just below what is needed to qualify for the List Rules.  Examples of scale back would be to shorten your draw length or tapering your prod arms to take some steel out of them.  In this case what you them have is a weapon designed for a much higher power operating at a lower power.  Safer and will last longer.

          The other advantage of course is that when you are *off* the battlefield, you can ramp the power back up again for target shooting and long range shooting.

          The same process applies to a more unconventional weapon, you just have to tinker more.  Still start out beefier than you think you might have to.

          >________________________________

        • JOHN KELLER
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 1, 2013
            The 60" .323 by 2.5 is what the famous Docmo Engine is spec'd for and I picked up the ones I needed at my local Fleet Pride.  You actually need 2 per Engine, one for the main prod and the other to cut a shorter backer to firm up the power.

            In Service
            Herr Wolfgang

            ________________________________
            This was just talked about a little while ago... Here's some info I dredged up from my old post:

            I got springs at the local Fleet Pride truck parts place. Look around for truck
            parts companies in your area. Ask for spring repair plates. They are 2.5" wide
            and .323" thick. The 30x30 means 30" on each side of the center (some are not
            symmetrical... don't get those).

            Here's an example on the internet:

            http://www.autoparts2020.com/rsdev/part_detail.jsp?PART_HDR_ID=577554

            Each one is made slightly differently so some will shoot farther than others. You will need to adjust the draw length to compensate.

            You can actually use a thinner part but it will have limited range.

            Hrelgar

          • Oscar Van Loveren 000724 recon
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 1, 2013
              I have a single prod on my Docmo. No problem getting 80
              yards.

              > The 60" .323 by 2.5 is what the famous Docmo Engine is
              > spec'd for and I picked up the ones I needed at my local
              > Fleet Pride.  You actually need 2 per Engine, one for the
              > main prod and the other to cut a shorter backer to firm
              > up the power.
              >
              > In Service
              > Herr Wolfgang
              >

              > ________________________________

              http://www.nni.com/
            • Roderick McKraken
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 1, 2013
                That works, but you need a longer draw length.

                Roderick

                I have a single prod on my Docmo. No problem getting 80
                yards.

                > The 60" .323 by 2.5 is what the famous Docmo Engine is
                > spec'd for and I picked up the ones I needed at my local
                > Fleet Pride.  You actually need 2 per Engine, one for the
                > main prod and the other to cut a shorter backer to firm
                > up the power.
                >
                > In Service
                > Herr Wolfgang

                http://www.nni.com/

                Links
              • Paul W. Van Dyke
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 1, 2013
                  DO NOT USE USED ONES!

                  They have a set from being on a vehicle and will shoot weird..

                  JP