Re: [SCA-Siege] Medieval References for Siege

  • bsrlee2@pacific.net.au
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 20, 2012
      'Springalds and Great Crossbows' a Tower of London Monograph, contains a
      reproduction of one of Leonardo da Vinci's sketches which is of a Hatra
      type(2nd-3rd Century AD) in-swinger torsion bolt thrower - neatly
      connecting Late Roman and Rennaisance. He seems to be drawing from life as
      the frame sides are bulging outwards under the strain from the torsion
      skeins.

      Several Greco-Roman engineering and architectural texts were certainly
      well known in the Medieval & Rennaisance worlds, which is how we still
      have them - they were regularly copied for noble libraries - Vitruvius
      Book 10 is full of seige engines which seem to have been known under
      various names to Medieval seige engineers, such as the Sambucca (bucket of
      archers on a counter balanced beam to shoot down onto walls), seige towers
      and mechanically raised ladders as well as fairly complete tables of size
      ratios for constructing 2 armed bolt and stone throwers.

      regards
      Brusi of Orkney
      Rowany/Lochac
      > Hey there everyone!
      >
      > Long time no type!
      >
      > I have a friend who needs some help.  He has built several siege engines
      > along the lines of Roman artillery, and he would like to take his Siege
      > along to an event called Harcourt Park here in New Zealand in mid
      > February.  The organizer of the even has banned his engines as theyare not
      > "Medieval"
      >
      > The guy has somewhat of a point as Roman is technically NOT Medieval as it
      > is too early.
      >
      > Are there any sources you might have your hot little hands on that
      > documets Siege to the Medieval period, and what types were in use?
      >
      > I am looking for types of engines, power sources, spring, torsion, bow,
      > etc.  Apologies for such a general question but it's been a long time
      > since I played this aspect of the game and the computer that has most of
      > my info on it is currently dead.
      >
      > Help?
      >
      > Oskar der Drachen
      > (formerly) Kingdom of the East
      > (currently) Kingdom of Lochac

      > Groups Links

    • Brian Kosoris
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 20, 2012
        For starters, what type of siege engine did he make? I am pretty sure that
        the romans had more than one style of siege engine and, depending on which
        type of engine he emulated, many of the roman gear has been copied into
        other civilizations long after the roman empire fell. I am sure that if you
        could give a good description of the engine that he is using, we should be
        able to find a suitable analog that is in the time period that the marshal
        is looking for. At this point it is just a word game.