Re: [SCA-Siege] Re: Siege War Point at Pennsic

  • Dan Smith
    Message 1 of 42 , Sep 3, 2012
      I may be a little late to the party, but let me put my 2 pence in
      anyway. Having build both trebuchets and ballistas, In terms of
      construction, the trebuchet is actually easier to build then a torsion
      ballista. For the axel for a treb arm, you can use either a galvanized
      pipe or a steel rod. To reduce the friction, you can put a slighlty
      larger pipe around it where to act as a sleeve. That way you have metal
      on metal rather than metal on wood.

      For the torsion stye ballista, which uses twisted rope, you will need to
      make the skein hardware. I believe I posted plans and descriptions for
      that in the file section of the group a while back, so you can always
      check it out if you are interested.

      As to selling kits with the metal bits, the problem there is the market
      for siege engines, is remarkably small, so it isn't really worth while
      to put together a supply that will sit on a shelf for several years.

      Or course, I could be wrong.

      Daniel de Neuf-Claire
      Siege Engineer
      House Staghold
      Atenveldt

      On 8/22/2012 9:11 AM, Rick Greene wrote:

      > Here's a question...but some background first.
      >
      > My interest in siege came from some enterprising individuals in my shire
      > having built a large trebuchet and using it an annual county fair kind
      > of thing where we always had a large demo. Sadly that one ate itself
      > (sheared axle for the winch) and was never rebuilt, but a smaller one
      > appeared shortly before that and has been used since. I wasn't involved
      > in the initial design or build of either trebuchet, only in crewing them
      > and now maintaining the small one. I never saw balistae until I started
      > actively pursuing becoming a Siege Marshal.
      >
      > I know there is cost involved in building and maintaining engines, but
      > the main issue I see is one of parts availability. For the (Roman?)
      > style of balista with the torsion setup, it seems like most of what is
      > needed would be readily available at a hardware store. For a trebuchet,
      > the worst part (I think) is the pieces to be the axles for the main arm
      > and the counterweight basket. For the apparently most popular design
      > for balista, however, the long steel bar as the main arm and the "backer
      > plate" that many have would be, for me, as hard to find as for the
      > trebuchet.
      >
      > Now, the above statements are made from the viewpoint of a "newbie", I
      > haven't yet looked at what available plans there are to see if there are
      > recommendations on where to get the materials needed.
      >
      > So, my question is, how difficult would it be for someone to either put
      > together kits with the most difficult to make/manufacture pieces for
      > sale (presumably at cost + shipping) to new interested parties, or,
      > failing that, keeping an up-to-date document with links to where said
      > parts can be bought?
      >
      > I would think something like that would help.
      >
      > Wormwood
      >
      > On 8/22/2012 11:45 AM, Brian Lapham wrote:
      > > I wish we had this much interest in siege here in Atenveldt...
      > >
      > > Brian Lapham

    • Dan Smith
      Message 42 of 42 , Sep 3, 2012