Re: some alternative siege options

  • Torkill Mor
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2012
      My son has an English translation of the book - you can buy it from Amazon (about £12 - don't know how much it will cost in dollars)

      There is a scan of the original book on line here
      http://www.kb.dk/da/nb/materialer/haandskrifter/HA/e-mss/thalhofer/thott-2_290.html

      YIS

      Torrkil

      --- In SCA-Siege@yahoogroups.com, robin <OTRobin@...> wrote:

      > I had the good fortune - or misfortune - to catch a show on TV that was called The Medieval Book, by Telhoffer (sp?).
      > Several of the devices they redacted and tested really caught my attention.
      > I paid close attention to things they used in the effort to move fighters closer to the castle wall and entrance so they could then fight and achieve the objective of take over.
      > This sits very directly in the period covered by the SCA and would be most useful for scenarios like the castle of bridge battles I would think.
      >

      > The bell looked to be an absolutely useful and doable one to include at Pennsic. The one they made was out of a single layer of hardened leather with two fighters fitting under it. When an arrow was shot into it, the penetration was a few inches. They added a second layer of hardened leather and the arrow did not penetrate. A man standing on the parapet, threw a large rock on top of the bell and it literally bounced off.
      >
      > My idea of recreating the bell is to use canvas that we paint as leather, use a fiberglass or siloflex pole that is padded for the center support and then either siloflex or heavy rope to make the base keep the flare. All the materials are allowed in construction of weapons already on the field so the construction/design is what would have to be approved/inspected.
      >

      > The other item I was really fascinated by was the wagon of scales. The wagon had steel/metal wheels so they could not be damaged by fire, was filled with fighters who could lift a flap/scale to shoot off a crossbow, drop the flap and then were protected quite well from oil, fire, rocks, arrows and so on until they were moved to the wall. Reminded me of a large armadillo!
      >
      > The book gives just enough detail to get most of the construction done, then you had to go to Telhoffer for the final piece, thus he insured he got paid for his design/knowledge.
      >
      > I am open to other ideas/advice for the construction of a bell. I also realize that no matter how great it looks, the whims of Kings may keep it off the field. Been there and done that! But I am persistent and my goal is to get included as much fun siege stuff as possible in a major battle before my SCA time is done.
      >

      > Nivah

    • Bluer Than Thou
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 5, 2012
        hi all. The newbie here.

        I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone who answer my questions and
        made me feel welcome. I've actually been holding those emails hoping to
        answer them personally but I've had to come to terms: my life got busy
        again and I simply can't. So it's this way, dang it. I'm so sorry! I
        didn't mean to disappear on folks. It's just that the tornado hit the
        house on the morning of the funeral, and then I missed out on work
        which means I'm behind on my deadlines, and arrrgggh! Next I'll be
        getting a phone call that a dragon is attacking the White House and
        could I please come and handle this? =^-^=

        No. Really. I'm serious about the tornado.

        But anyway, on to fun matters.

        I've decided that my first siege engine will be....!!!

        A desktop model!

        So I can learn about the suckers on my breaks.

        Clever, eh?

        I'll name it Bad Neighbor's Roach. I swear.

        I've got folks who are going to Gulf Wars who promise to send me photos
        if there are siege engines to be found there this year.
      • HL CO
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 6, 2012
          I didn't respond because so many others have. Yes there will be siege engines at Gulf Wars. Please look at the photos! That is the best way to see what we are all about. It seems that there are quite a few gentles in your area that are willing to help you out. Yes siege is perhaps the best way to participate in the battles without physically receiving blows from a sword. Heaven knows that is why I do it! The siege peeps are really nice people. Become one of us! Hopefully some day I will meet you on the field of battle. Too bad you couldn't make it out to Gulf Wars this year. Perhaps we can meet at Pennsic Wars. Both are great opportunities to meet like-minded friends. If you have more questions that you want to ask, you can contact me personally.

          Those little table top guys can get you into quite a bit of trouble! Be careful who you shoot them at!

          Tatiana
          Trimaris Siege Marshal

          --- In SCA-Siege@yahoogroups.com, Bluer Than Thou <death@...> wrote:

          > hi all. The newbie here.
          >
          > I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone who answer my questions and
          > made me feel welcome. I've actually been holding those emails hoping to
          > answer them personally but I've had to come to terms: my life got busy
          > again and I simply can't. So it's this way, dang it. I'm so sorry! I
          > didn't mean to disappear on folks. It's just that the tornado hit the
          > house on the morning of the funeral, and then I missed out on work
          > which means I'm behind on my deadlines, and arrrgggh! Next I'll be
          > getting a phone call that a dragon is attacking the White House and
          > could I please come and handle this? =^-^=
          >
          > No. Really. I'm serious about the tornado.
          >
          > But anyway, on to fun matters.
          >
          > I've decided that my first siege engine will be....!!!
          >
          > A desktop model!
          >
          > So I can learn about the suckers on my breaks.
          >
          > Clever, eh?
          >
          > I'll name it Bad Neighbor's Roach. I swear.
          >
          > I've got folks who are going to Gulf Wars who promise to send me photos
          > if there are siege engines to be found there this year.

        • Kat Ashtrofee
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 6, 2012
            Well, I'm genuinely not worried about being hit by a sword. Or staff. Or
            beanbag. Chair. Stick. Random short person.... it's only fair if I'm
            throwing things with a giant stick of my own in your direction.

            My husband keeps having to tell me I can't throw bean bag chairs at
            people on the field. So I asked what about flour sacks covered in
            itching powder. You know. For those that try to pretend they didn't take
            a hit. ;-) He said no. He's no fun.

            It should be noted in our area there are all of 3 people interested in
            siege, aside from my husband and I, and their list remains silent and
            dead. So I wonder if they're even there anymore. We're going to make a
            grand attempt to get interest in it.

            I know he thinks there will be no places to practice at, but lawks.
            There are empty fields all over the place around here. We're on an army
            base in the middle of a tree farm. Honor Field never has soldiers on it
            - and if we make friends with the right uppers, I'm sure we can get
            permission. Or keep looking. There are ALWAYS places to throw rocks when
            you live in the boondocks. We just gotta get looking.

            Our hope is to have some sort of siege presence established that can be
            passed healthily on when we go home to Middle Kingdom.